My Tent trailer is slightly over GVWR

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Twistedlarch

All loaded up for a trip and I decide to take the trailer into town to check tire pressure, on the way back I slide the trailer over the local scales and discover I'm about 200 lbs over GVWR.  Do you think I'm still okay? 

I wanted to fill my water tank (20 gal?) before we leave too, but that's probably not happening now.

Thanks
Brian

I had a tent trailer and it seems they put rather poor or light weight tires on them.  The 1st trip we took was to the Black Hills, 1200 mi round trip) and the tires were wore badly and needed replacing.  My son has a different model tent trailer and has blown 3 tires on with some damage to the wheel wells.  I know neither of us were overloaded. Being overloaded would concern me unless I put much better tires on the rig.

You are really pushing your luck, I think. 200 lbs is probably a lot with respect to the axle capacity, so you are likely way over-stressing the axle and the tires as well. Few trailers have any excess axle or tire capacity.

Example, if it has a 2000 lb axle (GAWR = 2000) and you are 200 lbs over, the axle is probably carrying 190-200 lbs more than it is rated for. Roughly 10% over. Each tire has to carry 1100 lbs, or a bit more if one side is heavier than the other. Check the tire max load rating stamped on the side walls to see if it can carry that much at all, as well as the psi needed to do it. Even then I would be skeptical, since a trailer (ST) tire run at max load often has a short life.

As somebody who has blown tires on a tent trailer carrying too much weight I would definitely not recommend it.  They are fragile and the damage possible can be severe.  Can you remove weight from the trailer and put in your tow vehicle to make things better?

From my perspective, your Guardian Angel has spoken quite loudly...Get weighed, verify weight, and ask for experienced opinions...your wisdom is showing.

Okay, transferred a lot of stuff to the truck (including the Deep Cycle, leaving some stuff behind like the memory foam mattress  :'()  I filled my water tank in hopes that I removed enough stuff...I'll hit the scales before I get on the freeway then offload the water if I have too.

So I'm guessing the tires are the main week point of the trailer?  GVWR for my trailer is 2420 lbs, the tires give me a combined rating of 2630.  If I upgrade the tires could I maybe load a bit more into the trailer?

I was hoping there was a little leeway with the GVWR, but it sounds like NOT.  My inexperience with Rec. vehicles is lucky to have a site like this with people like you!  Hopefully a disaster has been prevented  :D

Time to hit the road, going off grid so no internet or phone for the next 4 days... just me and my 2 and 4 year old boys getting some great quality time!  :D

Thank you
Brian

No matter what you do, you cannot alter the GVWR as published by the manufacturer. You can run overloaded if you wish and you will likely get away with it but... think of the consequences should you have an accident and the LEO's and insurance investigators are looking for a way out.... BTW, it is not only RV's that have to contend with this, all vehicles do, including those 18 wheelers.

Should you choose this route, the wear and tear on the trailer chassis, the springs, the shocks, the brakes and lastly, your wallet will likely suffer the consequences. 40 years ago, I blamed the cheap leaf springs on my tent trailer after replacing them several times. If I only knew then what I know now!!!

You don't have to run with FULL water, take only what you think you will need en route.

Enjoy your trip!!!

Flawless trip!  I ran at about 60 lbs under GVWR (says the local scales).  The boys and I had an excellent trip!

Does anyone have any suggestions for filling your potable water tank by your self?  I had to pack 7 gallon jugs back and forth and fight very drop into the little spout provided by the trailer manufacturer  ::)  I had my 4 year old trying to hold the funnel for me :D

Thanks
Brian

Twistedlarch said:
Flawless trip!  I ran at about 60 lbs under GVWR (says the local scales).  The boys and I had an excellent trip!

Does anyone have any suggestions for filling your potable water tank by your self?  I had to pack 7 gallon jugs back and forth and fight very drop into the little spout provided by the trailer manufacturer  ::)  I had my 4 year old trying to hold the funnel for me :D
You might want to try one of those gas siphon hoses they sell at Pep Boys. The one that is about six feet long and clear plastic with a little hand pump built in.

Good to hear you had a great trip...some of our best trips were when the boys were young and we were in our Pop-Up Trailer. I remember those trips fondly.

x2 on the siphon hose, I've used one many times in the Pop-Up and Lance Camper. You gotta remember to not overfill the waste tanks though...I'm speaking from experience... :-\

remember that the GVWR includes the hitch weight.
try for 10% on the hitch when setting up your load. As always, insure the brakes, bearings, and tires are in good shape. Don't forget to air the spare!

Twistedlarch said:
All loaded up for a trip and I decide to take the trailer into town to check tire pressure, on the way back I slide the trailer over the local scales and discover I'm about 200 lbs over GVWR.
Are you in the east or out west? If you are out west then you need to subtract 10% from you GVWR due to the mountains.

SeilerBird said:
Are you in the east or out west? If you are out west then you need to subtract 10% from you GVWR due to the mountains.
It's a trailer, Tom.  The GVWR in question is for the trailer.  His truck should have little problem with less than 3000 lbs in tow.

Good info here. I put "better" tires on my Niagara but never thought about the axles. Also, I always struggle with a 5 gallon bucket to fill the potable water tank. The siphon is a great idea.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
traxster
Back
Top Bottom