Bus to RV a guarded secret??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
or is just that NJ DMVs (yes that is a s as in 3 of them) know nothing!!! on how to do this? my local wanted to sent me a hr away so I check a closer one same thing go there. so I go wait in the line talk to one lady she doesn't know she talks to another lady....asked to wait 10-15mins 40mins go by get put back in line new lady need to see supervisor over 1hr now finally its the lady the first lady talked to she knows nothing!!! hell she asks me why I was told to come here!! I now have a number and still no idea on what to do.....

I just want to drive my Bus! really I only want to drive it around it can be classed as RV, truck, Van, or wagon I don't care its to be my ZSV Zombie Survival Vehicle.
so much planed and want to start doing I'm stuck on reregistration hell its already insured... why is this being so complicated??

Forgot to say Ahoy

I know nothing about NJ DMV, but my experience with CA DMV on relatively simple issues suggest you shouldn't be surprised.

Hopefully, someone who has done this, especially in NJ, will chime in.

The most recent delays are caused by the DMV folks being reassigned to training the Health Care folks how to conduct business. As soon as that training is complete the usual delays will return.

Ken

Motor homes and station wagons
To register a motor home as a recreational passenger vehicle, you need to visit any MVC Agency with the vehicle title and/or the manufacturer's Certificate of Origin (MCO) If more than one MCO was issued due to changes or additions to the original design of the vehicle, you can either bring both MCOs or the title and the additional MCO
Complete an application for registration (Form BA-49) including:
Insurance company name and policy number
Vehicle odometer reading
Driver license number (if you are unlicensed, you must provide proof of identification and be at least 17 years old)
Proof of Social Security (or exemption)
If you do not have a New Jersey title for this vehicle in your name, complete the sales tax information in the stamped section on your MCO and pay the registration fees, sales tax and $60 for title ($85 for title with a lien).

These vehicles will be registered at the highest passenger weight class for the vehicle.

Within 14 days of registration, you must have the vehicle inspected with your valid license, new registration and proof of insurance.

the above is from the most confusing web site i have ever been on. I bought my current MH from a guy in NJ. the web site clearly stated that I needed a temp plate to take out of the state, went to the dmv and they said nope just go. so I did.

no where on the search of the NJ MVC site can I find any mention of bus to RV conversion or conversion. the issue you will have is getting the MCO seeing as YOU are the manufacturer. could not see anything about a home made RV of any kind. there was a section for homemade boats  ???

Is there any wording in the NJ motor vehicle rules about "reclassified" vehicles?  It is a long shot, but go to a vehicle junk yard and ask them how they handle titles for vehicles that have been rebuilt from mismatched VIN and motor numbers.  I believe they use a form to apply for new titles in this case.

I'm going to try a RV dealer, and turns our know some one that knows some one with a Bus used for tailgating, so might here from them. I never thought it would be this difficult to do I mean I'd understand if I walked in dressed like a Astronaut wanting to register a rocket ship, that they wouldn't know what to do.

Few of the clerks will know how to do anything out of the ordinary, and all too often the bureaucratic mentality is that you are making a problem for them, rather than they are there to help you get what you need.

CaptainTwinTails won't have an MCO, since he is not a manufacturer and the original MCO was surrendered when the first title was issued. I believe the issue here is that he does not want to register as a passenger bus, so needs to get the title amended to show it is a conversion or other legalese (whatever NJ uses) so that he can use/drive it as a non-commercial, non-passenger vehicle. That is typically a struggle at any state's DMV.

In Colorado, when I was trying to convert a MCI,  I wanted to register it before completion so I could drive it to get some of the bigger parts. The law said that to be registered as an RV, it had to have a bathroom and a cooking area and a sleeping area or a combination of the three.  I put a porta-potty, a propane camp stove and a steel bed frame with a mattress.  The law said nothing about them being attached.  When asked, I could honestly say that it met the requirements. I wasn't asked and it was never inspected. All they were really concerned with was the money.

ok called they are sending me Bus to truck conversion papers.... which tells me what is required to make it a truck. after what ever it is is done turns out I go no wheres I mail them the tittle and what ever else that is required. I'm not making a "RV" so to say more of a
RatRod School Bus! hope I can keep it yellow its got such a nice faded look right now.

here is some thing that may help 

i did 5 salvage  titles here in FL crashed trucks and cars  and my RV  and takes a inspection  230$ paper work

to get a  salvage rebuilt title back on the road there is only 1 dmv in your state that can help you 

this dmv all so dos the title work for bus to rvs titles  and all so take a inspection

google  for the dmv in your state for salvage rebuilt title work  and call them  if its that info dont come up call the dmv looking for just that 
they get more calls for rebuilt title work then bus to rv

now the bad news    not every state has this setup / dmv in it and you may have to get your title in a state that has this type of dmv  title it there and then move the title back to you state

here in FL  its in tampa

I was thinking looking in PA seeing as I have a PA still for it maybe they wont be such a pain. I don't care what the cost is, all I can say is just
shut up and take my money!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MtnRV
Back
Top Bottom