How do you carry a free standing generator ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mlevy777

I'm looking for advice / tips on mounting and carrying a free standiing generator.? I'm taking delivery on a new Keystone Sprinter 276 FWRLS and do not think the front bin is wide enough to accomodate the generator.? I'm also trying to avoid carrying in the p/u bed because I don't think I can load it on the back, behind the hitch and clear the king pin when hooking and unhooking.

Has anyone used a 2" hitch cargo carrier or similar contraption on the back of a 5th wheel to carry a generator.? Estimated weight of the generator is 70 pounds.?

I also use this generator in stand alone situations away from the rig, so I need to keep it as a detached unit.

Thanks in advance for any advice, stories or thoughts you have.

I have seen a generator being carried on a platform attached to a rea hitch on a trailer.  Can't give any details as we were following the rig for a while on the highway.

Hi Ron,
Thanks for the reply,( and for the Welcome on the Newcomers' Forum).? Well, if the hitch carrier and the generator you saw didn't look like it was going to break off and bounce I guess it'll work.
I had a custom cargo basket welded to the frame of my previous 5er (24' Taurus) for this generator.? It worked fine, but was welded to the frame all the way across the width of the trailer to the frame, so chances of breaking were pretty small.? I'm just concerned about a single 2" bar holding together on the back of the trailer.? I'll stay in touch as I continue to explore options.

Cap

How big a generator do you have? I carry mine (Honda eu2000) in the front part of the truck bed. It's light enough to easily carry. With two connected, they're easier to lug around than one eu3000.

(I hope I'm doing this posting right...) 
Bruce - my gen is a generac 4000 xl - Probably 65 lbs.  I can carry in the truck bed forward of the hitch, but, since I'm sometimes alone for arrival / setup, it becomes a bit of an issue to lift it over the hitch, then get it to the ground.  Can be done, but something to avoid in Alabama orTexas,( or Florida) in August / September (hard work).  Got some great ATV type ramps to load and offload with, but, was trying to come up with a configuration that carried the generator in a useful spot that I can strap down on the back of the 5 to carry, just fire up and plug in if boondocking or field camping.

Ron, you've given me hope -  most of the cargo carriers advertised seem to be rated up to 500 lbs, so maybe thats the answer.  I guess I can get someone to weld some additional supports from the basket to the frame under the back bumper on the 5 as well.  I'll send pictures when I get this figured out.

Cap

Hi there,

I carry a 4000 onan in the pickup bed[8ft]. I have it hard mounted to the bed so it does not move around. I have wired a 30 amp cord from the main electrical box to the fifth wheel up front. when we are traveling on the road it is a snap to just get out plug in the cord and fire up the generator and we are good to go. I have no problems turning or it getting in the way. This set up works great on the road and when boondocking.

On the road again soon!
Earl

Use a standard receiver hitch, with the frame made from heavy wall 2" tubing.  I have transported heavier loads than that many, many miles on hunting trips on frame and the receiver is rated for a trailer tongue weight that is significantly more than the weight of the gen set.  I also have a vertical receiver tube welded on top of my step bumper, which allows me to insert a pickup truck lift boom, (rated for 1.5 tons) that will lift and swing the gen set over the hitch.  That lifting arrangement allows me to get anything in and out of my truck without assistance.  Along with the boom I have a small chain fall, and the boom arm has a hydraulic cylinder, extends, and swivels.

Good for the old back and the old man.

Doug

mlevy777 said:
I'm looking for advice / tips on mounting and carrying a free standiing generator.  I'm taking delivery on a new Keystone Sprinter 276 FWRLS and do not think the front bin is wide enough to accomodate the generator.  I'm also trying to avoid carrying in the p/u bed because I don't think I can load it on the back, behind the hitch and clear the king pin when hooking and unhooking.

Has anyone used a 2" hitch cargo carrier or similar contraption on the back of a 5th wheel to carry a generator.  Estimated weight of the generator is 70 pounds. 

I also use this generator in stand alone situations away from the rig, so I need to keep it as a detached unit.

Thanks in advance for any advice, stories or thoughts you have.

The standard hitch on the motor home I'm buying is rated at 500 lbs,

But here are a few questions... What are you using the generator for?  They come in a lot of sizes, a Genrac 1000 I can pick up with one hand, so can my daughter (though my wife can not)  Note, I've seen identical generators with other labels on them.  The Genrac 1000 is enough to run my bedroom, At the time that included a television, a VCR (It had enough left over to run a 2nd VCR, some lighting and a window air conditiioner.  Alas it would not start the house freezer or fridge (though it runs my portable fridge just fine, ur, semi-portabble "office" type)

The "Newer" genset, is an off brand, 120/240 type, and can run freezer, 'fridge & furnance w/o complaint, with enough left over to power the furnance and,  Well I don't know if it will but they hooked up the Microwave to the E-Panel  I'm happy  I can plug a lamp in next to the Mickey-wave  There are other outlets on the list too I just have not identified everything on one circuit (I suspect the above mentioned bedroom is on it)  And my Newest Genset... Well it's bolted in the motor home I have yet to take possession of (On order though)  Should be enough to run... Well... The house

John In Detroit said:
But here are a few questions... What are you using the generator for?? They come in a lot of sizes, a Genrac 1000 I can pick up with one hand, so can my daughter (though my wife can not)? Note, I've seen identical generators with other labels on them.? The Genrac 1000 is enough to run my bedroom, At the time that included a television, a VCR (It had enough left over to run a 2nd VCR, some lighting and a window air conditiioner.? Alas it would not start the house freezer or fridge (though it runs my portable fridge just fine, ur, semi-portabble "office" type)

John,

How much noise does the Genrac generators make? Does it run at 1800 or 3600 RPM? I think Doug wants this generator camping. Given my druthers I'd rather camp next to a Honda or Yamaha generator than a Genrac.

Alaskansnowbirds said:
John,

How much noise does the Genrac generators make? Does it run at 1800 or 3600 RPM? I think Doug wants this generator camping. Given my druthers I'd rather camp next to a Honda or Yamaha generator than a Genrac.

My little Genrac 1000 is fairly quite, I have used it cutting up some fallen tree limbs and I was able to talk to my wife and daughter as long as the saw itself was not running (electric chain saw louder than generator at least where I was standing)

I was running that gen-set today (Maintance run) it is not all that loud,  Compared to my 3700 watt "Contractor's grade" it's silent

The 3700 is the back up for the house.... Enough to run furnance, frig, and freezer

How heavy are the 1000 and 2000 Hondas?

My hardest carrying job now is unloading floppy 50-pound sacks of bird seed at home. How do generators compare? Maybe I should start lifting weights???

If you can sling 50# bags, you can handle a Honda 1000 or 2000.  The EU1000i weighs 29 and the EU2000i 46#.  And they have handles :)

Say hi to George for us.  Looking forward to seeing you this winter.

Please ignore that last post of mine. Fortunately, nobody told me where to put my generator...

I lifted some Coleman's at Home Depot this morn and they are HEAVY!

Ron said:
Cap,

I din't get any details on the rack but it looked like it was pretty stable as I recall.

The "Rack" may well be a "Hitch Hauler" (I have one) they are rated to hold 500 lbs and will easily holde both of my portable generators at the same time... Or both my wife and my bicycles (which is why I bought them) or with some minor mods they should hold Elane's chair (yet another reason)

Hitch haulers are avabial from most camping/rv stores such as CW and General RV (Where I got mine) and come with "toungs' to fit either 1 1/4 or 2" receivers... I got the smaller one since that is the receiver on my towed's backside.  On the DAMON intruder the hitch is so high up that I needed something like a nine or ten inch drop to hook up the blue ox gear to the front end of the towed and have it line up properly (I have some ideas there for Blue OX) so I had a 1 1/4" receiver welded on the TOP of the drop box adapter.

That way I can put the hitch hauler on the back of the MH, and hook up Lumina beneith it, I haven't tested yet but I feel sure there will be enough clearance... NOTE, this would not work will all toweds,, The lumina is very "Wedge shaped" with a long, tapered snout that sticks way out, thus giving additional clearance.

Hopefully I will know more next week, if, that is, they get my rig touched up in time for a week-middle camping trip

Oh, yes... I carry the 1kw portable in the towed.. It's been very useful on far too many ocasions not to have it handy

Lucy

>>I lifted some Coleman's at Home Depot this morn and they are HEAVY!<<

That was probably a contractor generator & you don't want that as they are too noisy. Make George get you a Honda or Yamaha & if you EVER thing you will use your AC while dry camping....get at least a 2000.

Terry
At Clark Fork, ID

All,

Well, after reading all, looking at much, the removable crane / hoist idea won out.? Had the receiver mounted last week, passenger side just forward of the wheel well.? The "crane" weighs about 30 pounds, so no problem to assemble and insert into the hitch when needed.? Lifts the generator (Generac 4000XL ) just fine, swings it into or out of the pickup bed, forward of the 5th wheel hitch.?

I refrain from mentioning brand names... not sure of Forum rules or legal issues ....but, will share the information if you send me your email address.

We use the generator primarily either when traveling to Alabama to college football games (need the truck to get around), or when we camp in the "Infield" at NASCAR events.

Thanks for all the thought and input to my original question.? Yell if you want details.

Mel

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MtnRV
Back
Top Bottom