How do you carry a free standing generator ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A few things about Genrac Generators

1: Briggs & Stratton is the actuall maker near as I can figure out  (NO complaints there, good company)

2: They do seem to need exercise regularry (Per the owner's manual and my expierence)

3: They are able to perform a bit over their ratings, at least for a short period... I just used my 1kw job to run a motor that was clearly heaver than it's designed to run... Ran it longer than I expected (I expected immed breaker trip) so either that motor is a "Soft start" (Which I doubt) or the generator has a generous surge rating.  I was impressed with it.

My contractor's job is about 4kw, has no problem with said air compressor, or for that matter, the emergency panal here in the house (What it's supposed to run)  It too needs some exercise, in fact it's overdue.

New problem for me... Radiator fan on towed not blowing... Oh well, was taking it in for routine service tomorrow anyway so it won't reuqire a trip to the shop to fix it

Briggs&Stratton makes the engines.  Generac make the generators in Genesee, about 40 miles west of Milwaukee.

Ned said:
Briggs&Stratton makes the engines.  Generac make the generators in Genesee, about 40 miles west of Milwaukee.

Interesting information, Ned.

My home standby generator is a Generac.

Phil

Terry A. Brewer said:
Lucy

>>I lifted some Coleman's at Home Depot this morn and they are HEAVY!<<

That was probably a contractor generator & you don't want that as they are too noisy. Make George get you a Honda or Yamaha & if you EVER thing you will use your AC while dry camping....get at least a 2000.

Terry
At Clark Fork, ID

George won't even be home until mid October, hasn't seen my new car or trailer and would want me to get a 8000 generator at least!!

I'll take your advice and get a 2000. Should I wait until Honda has it's booth at Q or go to Town & Country Motorsports in Chandler?

Then I'll have to figure out how to carry.

Ned said:
If you can sling 50# bags, you can handle a Honda 1000 or 2000.? The EU1000i weighs 29 and the EU2000i 46#.? And they have handles :)

Say hi to George for us.? Looking forward to seeing you this winter.

Thanks Ned.

George will be back mid October - he leaves AZ for Wyoming in Mid April and comes back mid October every year. I've stayed here because my mom was in nursing home but that isn't the case anymore. But I'm not going to WY for the summer and sit around and not going with him to rodeos to sit around in the dirt!

Briggs&Stratton is one of the largest small engine manufacturers and is one of the few remaining manufacturers of any kind left in Milwaukee (along with Harley Davidson, of course). ?One of the other large makers of small engines, Kohler Engines, is also based in Wisconsin, part of the Kohler group of companies.

Good for you, Lucy.  Your new RV will give you lots of freedom.  You can even visit George in WY in the summer ;)

Ned said:

I just know mine says GENRAC, and POWER BY Mitsubitisi (or however you spell it,) and when I sent an E-mail to support@genrac (or whatever the e-dress was) the reply was from Briggs&Stratton

In any case, I'm very happy with the generator, it performs very well

Where i used to work we had a nice Chevy V-8, LP-gas fueled, with a Genrac transmission... We had this because with Detroit Edision (Now known as DTE Enegry) you don't have E-power on standby because DTE Might fail.. You have it for when they WILL fail

It's possible that B&S bought the Generac line of portable generators.  Their product images look very much like the old Generac products and the Generac web site doesn't list portable generators anymore.  They seem to be exclusively in the commercial market.

Ned said:
It's possible that B&S bought the Generac line of portable generators.  Their product images look very much like the old Generac products and the Generac web site doesn't list portable generators anymore.  They seem to be exclusively in the commercial market.

Possible, yes, I'd say it's very possible, I recall that when I went to the Genrac site there was a link to Portable Generators, which took me to another site that was all things with handles and/or wheels or both (The main genrac site everythign had lift hooks where a crain could hook up)

But it's been a year or two (Two) since I picked up this thing and contacted customer support (blackout 2003 is when I bought it)

It's big enough to run my bedroom, including a window AC television and either VCR or Replay TV unit (or both,did not have both then)

Of course it won't touch the big AC in the other room or, now, centeral air.  But still, it's enough to live on if I had to

The bigger portable will run everythign I need save centeral air (Furnance, fridge, freezer, TV, lights, that kind of stuff)

Oh yes, and this computer

Lucy

>>I'll take your advice and get a 2000. Should I wait until Honda has it's booth at Q or go to Town & Country Motorsports in Chandler?<<

I would check prices on the internet....go to Chandler listen to it & try lifting it, give them a chance to meet/beat your best price...I have never found really great bargains at QZ, you really have to know your prices.? I would even buy at Chandler if the price was close & offered good service/hand-holding.

Terry
At Clark Fork, ID

As Ned said, B&S did indeed buy the portable generator portion of the business from Generac, but they remain the hallmark of generators in terms of price/performance/maintenance/reliablity. They make REALLY BIG stuff for municipalities, industry, government, and transportation, but are not noted for being the quietest in the industry. If you want brute power, get a Generac; if you want quiet, get solar cells! ;)

Terry A. Brewer said:
Lucy

>>I'll take your advice and get a 2000. Should I wait until Honda has it's booth at Q or go to Town & Country Motorsports in Chandler?<<

I would check prices on the internet....go to Chandler listen to it & try lifting it, give them a chance to meet/beat your best price...I have never found really great bargains at QZ, you really have to know your prices.? I would even buy at Chandler if the price was close & offered good service/hand-holding.

Terry

OK, I'll stop looking on eBay!
At Clark Fork, ID

I'm using a EU3000is.  I was going to make a rear hitch, but with two mounts rather than one, welded to the frame and bumper, then after posting in the towables forum, I decided to make a mount for the front of the trailer, adding tongue weight, but I'm using a WD hitch with sway control...the mount is quick release, so I can take it off...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MtnRV
Back
Top Bottom