valve lube

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

almostbroke

I have an old rv that wasnt used much. The vale stems on the holding tanks are difficult to open and close. What would be the best lubricant to use. Im not sure oil based wouldnt mess up the valve body.

You're probably better off just replacing the dump valves.  Once gunk that's on the slide valve and in the groove hardens, any lubrication you put on it will just be temporary.

It's not that hard - make sure the tanks are empty, then remove the 4 nuts and bolts on the corners of the valves and spread the plumbing slightly.

When you put in the replacements, keep them wet.  After you dump pour some water down the toilet and a sink drain, enough to fill the outlet pipes.  This keeps the gunk that inevitably builds up on the valves soft and pliable so the valves work as they should.  If you winterize the rig, pour some antifreeze down the toilet and drains to keep them wet over winter.

We read about someone that drilled holes & installed grease zerts. He seemed very happy with the outcome.

I've seen a few where the cable to the actual valve was a long, flex cable that could be replaced. Or removed and soaked in a solvent to loosen dirt and rust. Mostly, though, it is the blade valve itself. If you have to remove it to lube it, you may as well replace.

What they said. Plus when I have a need to lube plastic to plastic, or something plastic to a rubber seal, I have had good luck with Pam vegetable spray..

installed zerk fitting on mine, easy job and so far so good. I haven't traveled so they haven't been used. they aren't froze up or stiff from sitting so I guess it works.

Back
Top Bottom