Ford Expedition to Tow Travel Trailer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mcruz

Hello.  We are brand new to travel trailer camping.  We would like to purchase a 2010 242 SBH Sportsman travel trailer (26 feet in length - GVWR 6000lbs) from a neighbor.  They are offering us a great deal, but we have to purchase a vehicle to tow it.  The travel trailer's dry weight is 4,300 lbs.  We are considering a Ford Expedition EL 4X4. Manual states it will tow 10,000 lbs.  We were told to get the tow package with a 3.73 rear axle.  Can anyone give us advice on this?  We really would like to stay with a three-row vehicle, versus a pick up.  Any other three-row vehicles that you would recommend (with spec.s please) to tow this travel trailer?  Thanks. 

Is there any way you could get your neighbor to take the TT to a scale and get the actual weight?  Dry weight is very misleading.  Also be aware when looking at a towing vehicle specification, it only includes a 150 lb driver and no other passengers.  You must also figure in any weight of the other passengers and gear whne making an accessment of a tow vehicles capability.  You can check tow vehicles capabilities at Trailer Life on theinternet.

Hello.  We are brand new to travel trailer camping.  We would like to purchase a 2010 242 SBH Sportsman travel trailer (26 feet in length - GVWR 6000lbs) from a neighbor.  They are offering us a great deal, but we have to purchase a vehicle to tow it.  The travel trailer's dry weight is 4,300 lbs.  We are considering a Ford Expedition EL 4X4. Manual states it will tow 10,000 lbs.  We were told to get the tow package with a 3.73 rear axle.  Can anyone give us advice on this?  We really would like to stay with a three-row vehicle, versus a pick up.  Any other three-row vehicles that you would recommend (with spec.s please) to tow this travel trailer?  Thanks. 

Here is an updated post with more information . . . 

Hello.  We are brand new to travel trailer camping.  We would like to purchase a 2010 242 SBH Sportsman travel trailer (26 feet in length - GVWR 6000 lbs) from a neighbor.  They are offering us a great deal, but we have to purchase a vehicle to tow it.  The travel trailer's dry weight is 4,300 lbs.  We are considering a Ford Expedition EL 4X4. Manual states it will tow 10,000 lbs.   We were told to get the tow package with a 3.73 rear axle.  Can anyone give us advice on this?  We really would like to stay with a three-row vehicle, versus a pick up.  Any other three-row vehicles that you would recommend (with spec.s please) to tow this travel trailer?  Thanks. 

I did a quick search of the model you gave, looks like a good spec on the trailer.
The expedition EL 4x4 I found had an 8700 pound tow capacity. This is still plenty for the trailer you have listed.
Things I would do: Do not skimp on an equalizing hitch. A good and properly set up hitch can make a long day seem short. the opposite is even more true :)
Even with the hitch, I would consider some form of air assistance on the rear suspension. Depending on how you load things it may get a bit heavy in the back. 

I have been looking to upgrade my tow vehicle, and have been considering a Suburban K2500 or an Expedition V-10 (or diesel). My trailer is basically the same weight as yours, and I currently tow with a Suburban K1500, but I am near or at my limit. Want some more tow vehicle. My 2 sons are bigger and a pick-up does not have enough room for them on a long trip.

What year Expedition were you looking at with those tow specs? I looked through the Trailer Life Towing Guides and didn't see an Expedition with a 10,000 lbs tow capacity. A 2013 has 8700 lbs capacity.

Right, according to the Ford Towing Guide for 2013, the Expedition EL 4x4 with the heavy duty tow package is rated for 8,700 lbs.  Subtract about 700 lbs from that for the weight of passengers, gear and trailer hitch carried in/on the tow vehicle and that leaves you about 8000 lbs gross weight for the trailer. Use its GVWR as your estimated weight - that way you can be confident you are not over-stressing the Expedition's capabilities.

The Expedition with tow package ought to handle that trailer very nicely - good choice!

Without the tow package, the Expedition EL 4x4 tow rating is only 6000 lbs, so you DO need the Heavy Duty Tow Package.

Endorse glockholiday with this setup.  However, looking to the future, do you believe you will consider a larger unit, either TT or 5Ver?  Just consider this before actually purchasing.

You had the same question posted in two places on RVForum, so I merged them together here. It is neither necessary nor desirable to post the same topic more than once.

Thank you.  I posted the first one before I saw the "Newcomers" section.  :)

Back
Top Bottom