Feeling uncomfortable while parking at Walmart in Kansas City!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Back on topic?

How carefully does everyone check out the neighborhood when pulling into a Walmart?

This occurred to me a couple of years ago when I ran into someone who commented on staying overnight at the Walmart in Hartford, Connecticut. That store is located within two blocks of a neighborhood with one of the highest murder rates in the state. I?m uncomfortable there in the daytime, let alone staying overnight. This person had no clue where he was sleeping.

HappyWanderer said:
Back on topic?

How carefully does everyone check out the neighborhood when pulling into a Walmart?

One clue for us is if there are RVs parked there already, usually a good sign. And if we feel hinky, then we don't stay.

HappyWanderer said:
Back on topic?

This occurred to me a couple of years ago when I ran into someone who commented on staying overnight at the Walmart in Hartford, Connecticut. That store is located within two blocks of a neighborhood with one of the highest murder rates in the state. I?m uncomfortable there in the daytime, let alone staying overnight. This person had no clue where he was sleeping.

Yeah, back to topic. What's humorous in this thread is the knee-jerk denial of the OP's post... followed by hurt feelings. LOL

HappyWanderer said:
Back on topic?

The "Neighborhood" not so much but the store itself,  Well,, I will admit to pulling into a Wal-Mart or a Truck stop and not getting a good feeling.. When that happens... I weigh the risks and benefits (how tired am I) and if I'm too tired I will nap without setting up at all, then an hour or two later move on.. Else I move on immed.

And it has happened on at least a couple occasions.. One I found a campground, one I found a different store.

Ourselves being interested third parties, that is to say, we are occasional campers (we cannot even be considered part timers) and we do not have the luxury of time, yet. But in our limited experience in RVing there are very few topics that raise so much passion as to if one overnights at a Walmart or not.

Our local ordinances do not allow it in Clark County, NV, but I dare say I see RVers disregarding the postings often. Personally I agree with the ordinance in cities like Las Vegas. We would get a lot of Riff-Raff parking in our many large parking areas without the ordinance.

I also agree with those that use Walmart parking lots in small towns across America. Why not? If it is legal, and Walmart doesn't mind, who am I to say otherwise.

When we do get an opportunity to get out and camp we are blessed to live in the Western USA so finding good spots to park in recognized camp areas, and RV Parks are endless. 

I wouldn't use a parking lot as a stop over, I don't trust parking lots, for me it is that simple.

Here is a link to a FMCA article regarding this topic, http://community.fmca.com/blog/592/entry-1521-finding-free-places-to-overnight-in-your-rv/

Not to drift off this invigorating discussion, but has anyone pulled off the road in Canada and Alaska and boon docked for the night.  Just wondering if it is possible to pull up to a river do a little fishing, and stay for the night?  Safe? Doable?

Like in the brouchers that show real camping.

Jim

Leavin in three weeks....but who is counting?

Tin man said:
Not to drift off this invigorating discussion, but has anyone pulled off the road in Canada and Alaska and boon docked for the night.  Just wondering if it is possible to pull up to a river do a little fishing, and stay for the night?  Safe? Doable?

Like in the brouchers that show real camping.

Jim

Leavin in three weeks....but who is counting?

I advise against pulling off and boon docking on your trip. Really, there is  no need to do so. There are plenty of developed areas suitable for camping with very reasonable prices both in Canada and Alaska. Before entering Canada, you can find municipal camping in some towns; look primarily in county seat communities.

I did see a few people here and there camped on sand bars in rivers, but unless you're there for the same activity that brings them there-- and I'm not sure what that activity is-- you can probably find better options.

Considerable numbers of people were camped at WalMart in Whitehorse if you so choose. Personally, in Whitehorse, I chose Pioneer camp ground; ~$25 per night with good services and added features. You can do an oil change or RV wash there, and watch east coast late night cable TV in the afternoon.

We got a map prepared by Alaska's environmental agency in Tok-- surely available elsewhere-- showing the location of public parks where we could camp for under $10 per night. If you are taking a 40' motor home or large trailer, you may need to opt for dusty, dirty, stone parking lot campgrounds that'll charge you closer to $50 per night. They toss in all the chocking dust you can stand for free.

Before someone else says it, buy a copy of Milepost.

I have stayed at Walmart a few times. However, I usually buy supplies and grocery which usually runs over $100.00. Maybe I am justifying myself but I never thought of it as "free" parking.

Frank

Dan

As I stated earlier, I am not a advocate of camping in a parking lot, just wondering if anyone driving to Alaska, just pulled off the road did some fishing, and camped the night. Wondering if it is doable, more concerned getting eating by bears than anything else.

Have the mile post and everything else recommended. 

Jim

Two legged animals in the parking lots, and four legged ones in the woods.

After reading this thread for sometime, and living in the KC burbs for the last 30 years, I decided to look up all these unsafe Walmart locations. Using the Walmart app, I pulled about 20 stores in the KC area. The only one in KC, MO is East of Koffman stadium on I-70 between loops 435 & 470 which should be a safe part of town. Just South of there is one in Raytown which I would not shop or stay in because I personally wouldn't go to Raytown for any reason.

KC, KS shows one Walmart on the West side at loop 435 and Parallel, which is just North of I-70. This is the NASCAR track destination location complete with Nebraska Furniture, Cabellas (free overnight parking, water and dump) KC soccer stadium and tons of food and entertainment venues. I'm overnighting at Cabellas, givin the choice.

Every other Walmart the app pulled up is in the suburbs and, in my opinion, in absolutely safe locations. However, I doubt that you would be allowed to overnight at many, if any, of the locations due to local ordinances. Make sure you call the store manager before you arrive at any of them.

A call to Cabellas is not necessary because they designed their Free RV parking lot, water and dump stations for all the "Freeloaders" who want to stop and stay for awhile. However, you may want to check the NASCAR schedule of KC racing events before showing up.

carson said:
I think I'll regret this post..

There will always be freeloaders and always advantage takers and then there are folks who like to support  the RV camping industry. Count me in... I will support the campground every time.

Hit me...

But you say you are an "ex RVer" so I guess your campground support will be minimal at best.  I don't look at RVers as freeloaders regardless of where they stay.  Campgrounds are not always convenient as Walmarts.  If you want freeloaders, just look at the welfare system in this country and the lack of any government encouragement to get off of it.

If I am really tired i might have a cat nap in a WalMart lot.
but there is no way I would try to get some good sleep in one.
and yes we have guns.

We have stayed at several Walmarts in our travels. We pick the Walmarts that are open 24 hours a day so there is security in the area. Also, make sure we park next to one of the lights when possible. Have never felt unsafe but then again we travel with two large dogs that bark if someone gets to close. We also have always gone inside and purchased groceries.

I'm new with the MH, and I was thinking that on an occasional longer trip this is one of the selling advantages for getting the MH over the pup we had.

Is there any sort of directory or reference to good and reasonably safe places.... or even one that lists which walmarts allow it.... which Cracker Barrels, which track stops are good.....etc....  How do you go about finding a store that allows it?

I was thinking about this just the other day when having lunch at Cracker Barrel.  wondering if they had such a directory & i was going to ask the manager about it but it was busy.

blw2 said:
I'm new with the MH, and I was thinking that on an occasional longer trip this is one of the selling advantages for getting the MH over the pup we had.

Is there any sort of directory or reference to good and reasonably safe places.... or even one that lists which walmarts allow it.... which Cracker Barrels, which track stops are good.....etc....  How do you go about finding a store that allows it?

I was thinking about this just the other day when having lunch at Cracker Barrel.  wondering if they had such a directory & i was going to ask the manager about it but it was busy.
No directory, but I've never found a Cracker Barrel that didn't allow overnight parking.

blw2 said:

"Allstays" will list all of the Cracker Barrel, and Wallmart locations with a reference to which ones allow MH overnights.
"Safe place" is a relative term. Despite all of the apparent controversy here regarding parking lot overnights, you're probably just as safe or safer than many State Forest campgrounds where you can be sitting practically alone in the deep forest, subject to all that looming danger roaming about.... ::)
Simply trust your gut.

Campfire RV said:
We stopped at several Walmart parking lots on our trip across country so far and felt just fine at each one except Kansas City. When we arrived it was 9pm and the parking lot had very few cars and no RV's. Within ten minutes of parking, a car parked two spaces in front of us and the woman looked really suspicious. She stayed in the car sitting up and kept looking over at our RV and when she saw me she would look back down. She was parked there looking suspicious the entire time. I just didn't feel comfortable because why did she have to park right in front of me way out at the far end of the parking lot all by ourselves.

Well, after about two hours I finally decided to drive off and find another Walmart about thirty miles down the road where we found about five other RV's parked.

Have you ever parked in a parking lot for the night and just didn't feel comfortable for some reason?
its kind of her right to park there same as u felt it was  yours? but if you look up crime??? Kansas  CITY is in the top 5 in north  america

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MtnRV
Back
Top Bottom