Feeling uncomfortable while parking at Walmart in Kansas City!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
SeilerBird said:
I am still waiting for some kind of proof that Walmart parking lots are unsafe. I have never seen any statistics on crime in a Walmart parking lot.

I thought he was going to kill me because I yelled at his stupid pit bull running through my campsite.

Yeah? And I want proof the pit bull was stupid.

One nice thing about WalMart campers is that they serve a purpose: WM parking lot and building security... for free. Keeps my shopping prices lower and frees up sites at my preferred campgrounds. Thanks for a service well-rendered.

driftless shifter said:
Tom has a valid point. I don't recall hearing of an RV'er being murdered anywhere but a state or national park/forest/monument. I'm sure someone has, but I certainly can't remember hearing of anything happening in a Walmart or truckstop.

Bill

The WM security in Williston might differ.

Dan23 I'm guessing your talking about Williston ND.? Last summer? Woman shot in thigh? Turns out she shot herself and it's believed she was using drugs at the time.

Bill

Google "camper shot" and you get pages of hits on Albuquerque police shoot homeless camper in back, FBI investigating. Anyone fulltiming without a S&B home is homeless, per federal definition!
Now Google "RVer shot walmart" and you get pages of a Utah Walmart being sued by an RVer who had to shoot an intruder entering his RV. Facts are funny like that.

Bill

Not going to get personal here, but there are some members who just seem to lash out with sarcasm and rudeness to virtually any post to which they disagree.  It almost seems like any RV'er who doesn't do things exactly like they do, is a moron worthy of contempt.

I've stayed in a few Walmart lots in my lifetime.  No interesting stories to tell there.  In my professional life, Walmart was a huge client, and I spent countless hours in the 142 stores in my territory.  I don't think there is much crime against customers there  because the risks (security cameras, witnesses, armed customers), far outweigh the potential gains.  (Walmart customers are not generally the richest members of society).  The exception in my experience seems to be in areas with a significant non-resident, non-documented, cash-paid labor force.  These immigrants prey upon each other mercilessly, knowing they get paid in cash, and carry most of it in their wallet all the time. 

One point I'd like to contribute: being 'cheap' is not the ONLY reason to try to save some money.  Sure we dish out big money to buy into this game.  But for some of us, unexpected repair bills, sudden medical bills, or just the increasing costs of fuel and campsites can put us into the position of having to find ways to stretch our recreation budget, or else we have to park it and sit home.  I'll admit to being in that group.  I enjoy my RV immensely, however my finances have not fared as well as I had anticipated when I purchased the rig.  Saving money on fuel, stopping somewhere for a free night now and then, buying off-brand parts from the internet, any way I can save a buck, I'm going to do it.  Don't appreciate being called cheap though.  Would I like the luxury of always staying in a nicely landscaped state, Federal or privately owned campground every single night of every single trip?  Sure I would!  Would I want to be parked next to someone who thinks they are better than I am in every way because I spent the previous night at Walmart?  No I would not.

Google "murdered camper" and most results are of people murdered in parks and such, the Albuquerque police shooting and apparently a Beatrice Camper is a murderess. Didn't see Walmart in the first three pages of results. With my quick unscientific study I have determined. You shouldn't camp in Albuquerque, or state and national parks Walmarts and CG's seem to be safe.

Bill

Dan23 said:
Personally, I'm all for your staying in WM parking lots. Have fun. I'll be over in the nicely landscaped state, Federal or privately owned campground birdwatching and enjoying the company of other campers while you decide whether you should pull your gun on the suspicious pair in the car that parked too close to you. LOL

Getting a bit personal aren't you?  I only referred the link you posted and wanted to say that it really had nothing to do with RVs staying in WM lots, only how many crimes are committed in them.  You must be from an area where all those beautiful state, federal and private campgrounds abound aplenty.  In the places I have lived, it is easier to find a Walmart but I myself have never stayed in one (yet) but would not hesitate depending on location and a need to stop overnight.  And yes, I do carry a gun but that is for another thread which has already been covered numerous times.  It always ends with hard feelings seems.

redbarber said:
Not going to get personal here, but there are some members who just seem to lash out with sarcasm and rudeness to virtually any post to which they disagree.  It almost seems like any RV'er who doesn't do things exactly like they do, is a moron worthy of contempt.

I've stayed in a few Walmart lots in my lifetime.  No interesting stories to tell there.  In my professional life, Walmart was a huge client, and I spent countless hours in the 142 stores in my territory.  I don't think there is much crime against customers there  because the risks (security cameras, witnesses, armed customers), far outweigh the potential gains.  (Walmart customers are not generally the richest members of society).  The exception in my experience seems to be in areas with a significant non-resident, non-documented, cash-paid labor force.  These immigrants prey upon each other mercilessly, knowing they get paid in cash, and carry most of it in their wallet all the time. 

One point I'd like to contribute: being 'cheap' is not the ONLY reason to try to save some money.  Sure we dish out big money to buy into this game.  But for some of us, unexpected repair bills, sudden medical bills, or just the increasing costs of fuel and campsites can put us into the position of having to find ways to stretch our recreation budget, or else we have to park it and sit home.  I'll admit to being in that group.  I enjoy my RV immensely, however my finances have not fared as well as I had anticipated when I purchased the rig.  Saving money on fuel, stopping somewhere for a free night now and then, buying off-brand parts from the internet, any way I can save a buck, I'm going to do it.  Don't appreciate being called cheap though.  Would I like the luxury of always staying in a nicely landscaped state, Federal or privately owned campground every single night of every single trip?  Sure I would!  Would I want to be parked next to someone who thinks they are better than I am in every way because I spent the previous night at Walmart?  No I would not.

X2.  You put it much better than I could.

Dan23 said:
The WM security in Williston might differ.

Most Walmarts in the Bakken (western ND) prohibit overnight parking by RVs because the extreme housing shortage resulted in their parking lots turning into full fledged campgrounds 24/7.  It was completely understandable they had to prohibit overnighting.  Man you surely can come up with better examples - give it another try.

Dan23 said:
For those who are simply too cheap to cough up for a campground site... I shake my head in disbelief. All that money for an RV, then settling for a diminished experience. LOL Silly as refusing to buy gas for the RV.

Dan,
You're really painting an unrealistic picture.
I can't speak for anyone else, but I presume the majority of us use Walmart 'en-route' to our destinations. i.e. a place to purchase needed supplies and sleep for the night before moving on to where we're actually going. I find this no more of a "diminished" experience than paying $30+ for a private site I will not hook up to, nor utilize amenities, nor stroll their beautiful surroundings. If you think of it as park, eat, sleep, move-on, you might realize that is unwise to spend money foolishly.
Also, have you ever tried to get a reservation at a private campground on the weekend for a one-nighter? If you can get in, they'll put you in a spot aesthetically not much different than a Walmart; the primary difference being crushed gravel rather than blacktop. So much for the experience.
As to the other issue... unsupported Walmart parking lot killings ... sounds a bit strawman to me.

I think I'll regret this post..

There will always be freeloaders and always advantage takers and then there are folks who like to support  the RV camping industry. Count me in... I will support the campground every time.

Hit me...

carson said:
I think I'll regret this post..

There will always be freeloaders and always advantage takers and then there are folks who like to support  the RV camping industry. Count me in... I will support the campground every time.

Hit me...

Carson, I respect your opinion although "freeloaders" is a bit unfair.
We ALL support the RV camping industry.

Oh... I almost forgot....  :)

Attachments

• imagesVNH7V5CO.jpg
    imagesVNH7V5CO.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 12
Thanks for the last sentence, Bob. It just proves the adage "Differing strokes for differing folks.

Let's keep the ball rolling, even though I hung up my keys a while ago... Old age sucks.

Dan23 said:
I agree. I can't imagine why anyone would "camp" at WM when campgrounds are available, excepting lack of money, taking a quick nap before resuming travel or perhaps during a public emergency such as flooding.

Security at many campgrounds is an illusion,, At Wal*mart at least there is no illusion thus you are safer.

That said. I can tell you why overnighting at a W/M or other big lot as opposed to a campground..

It is there... Not 10 miles off on side roads but right there, 100 yards from the freeway exit. (or close to it)

If I have driven say 400 miles, and I am starting to get tired, and there is that big blue and whatever color sign (I am partially color blind and have very poor color memory) I'm going to park.. That simple.. long as I am not in NE that is.

Would I rather park in a Campground with full hookup or at least 30 amps.. YES, but, I don't know where the CG is, and I can see that big sign.

carson said:
Dear John.  what does your story have to do with my post?.
Dear Carson. 
Since he was responding (and quoted) a different post, why does his story need to have ANYTHING to do with your post?

But what do I know, I'm a worthless "freeloader".  Believe it or not, in over 45 years of different types of camping, I have NEVER EVEN ONCE paid for a campsite.  No way those greedy leaches are making their blood money from me!  :D

But seriously, don't you think that even those of us who stretch our budget with the occasional free stopover, still spend plenty of money on the "real" campgrounds and parks?  I mean really... FREELOADERS???

Carson we have averaged over $40.00 a night with several $50.00 in there since leaving AZ the 29th of June so I think I can escape your freeloader description but when on the road a convenient WM, or better yet Cabelas, is a welcome quick stop for the night.

Like others here, the more we save on our overnight costs, the more nights we can be out in the RV. Our average for the last 5 years is less than $5/night so I guess we're "freeloaders." Of course, we boondock a lot, not in parking lots, so does that qualify us as "freeloaders"? And can I add the $$$$ we spend in stores and restaurants when we park for "free" in their parking lots when calculating our per night cost of camping? For sure, we not helping any campgrounds or businesses if the RV is sitting in the backyard.

Enjoy your travels wherever you stay !
Wendy

Back
Top Bottom