For those that would like to take an RV over the Beartooth Highway

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks Jim,
  I'd like to do the BearTooth some time on our way back from our trip to Wash/Org.  Could you take a 5er over the Beartooth, or is it a better side trip for the truck?

Ron

hoddinron said:
Thanks Jim,
  I'd like to do the BearTooth some time on our way back from our trip to Wash/Org.  Could you take a 5er over the Beartooth, or is it a better side trip for the truck?

Ron

I pulled my 5er over it last September, without the slightest bit of trouble, and I'm a flatlander from Illinois. Except for some limitations as to where I could pull off, it was no more difficult than just driving the truck.

Joel

While you can certainly drive just about any RV over the Beartooth, I personally think it is a shame to miss also driving the Chief Joseph Scenic Highway.

Attachments

• Chief Joseph Overlook2.jpg
    Chief Joseph Overlook2.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 57
  • Chief Joseph Scenic Byway (2).jpg
    Chief Joseph Scenic Byway (2).jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 57
Mike & Jenn,

Thanks, glad you enjoyed them.

I use Picasa 3 to add the signature. Picasa is free and does some basic editing. I often use it to "fix" a photo. There are quite a few different fonts you can use for the signature, or any other text you might want to add.

For more in depth editing, I use Photoshop Elements 9. I also have proHDR on my iphone4 and it can add text to a photo as well as several other things. Really nice program.

hoddinron said:
Thanks Jim,

Ron

Ron, You can but, as you can see by the photo of the GPS, it has some really tight turns and there is little room to pull over with a rig that large. I prefer to travel in a car and enjoy the scenery, being able to stop at any of the pull-offs. If you want to stop in Red Lodge, you may have a hard time finding a parking spot.

Jim Dick said:
Ron, You can but, as you can see by the photo of the GPS, it has some really tight turns and there is little room to pull over with a rig that large. I prefer to travel in a car and enjoy the scenery, being able to stop at any of the pull-offs. If you want to stop in Red Lodge, you may have a hard time finding a parking spot.

Parking on the main drag in Red Lodge with a 5er is just about impossible. However, the side streets are wide and have plenty of parking space. The grocery store in town also has a good sized lot.

Joel

I rode Beartooth Pass years ago on a motorcycle.  Great motorcycle road and beautiful, but would think twice about pulling a trailer, at least a large one.

Trailer traveler said:
While you can certainly drive just about any RV over the Beartooth, I personally think it is a shame to miss also driving the Chief Joseph Scenic Highway.

Yes, Chief Joseph Highway is well worth the drive. And, if you would like to try an adventure he next time you drive it, I'll let you in on a well kept secret. Go see Sunlight Falls. When you get there, you will be standing at the edge of a narrow canyon. On the other side of the canyon, for a stretch of about 100 yds., water comes pouring out of myriad holes in the cliff face.  The photos below, are just two small sections of it.

Almost directly across from the parking area for the overlook where the road crosses Sunlight Creek, turn west on Sunlight Road. It is not paved, but is in good condition. Drive about 3 miles until a fence on your right ends, and turn right on a 2 track road labeled 101.1. It is easily passable. When it forks, keep right. After about 1 mile, it ends in turn around. Get out of your vehicle and follow your ears to the edge of the cliff.

About another 5 miles west on Sunlight Road is a nice (and free) Forest Service camp ground called Little Sunlight. I have camped there several times and have never seen anybody else there.

Attachments

• Sunlight Falls 1.jpg
    Sunlight Falls 1.jpg
    171 KB · Views: 57
  • Sunlight Falls 2.jpg
    Sunlight Falls 2.jpg
    182.5 KB · Views: 57
Jim,

The place is way off the beaten track, but worth the visit. I forgot to mention that when driving on Sunshine Road, if you get to White Mountain on your right (you'll know it if you see it) you have missed the turn onto 101.1. Turn around and go back east about 1/4 mile.

We were standing, looking at the falls when a couple of local girls, on horse back, rode up. One of them looked at my Illinois plates and asked "How on earth did you find this place?" I told her that the Forest Service map identifies as a scenic spot.

Joel

We went over the Beartooth Pass yesterday,,,, STUNNING.  I have been over many backroad passes up in the 14ers in Colorado, and nothing comes close.  You could not pay me to take an RV over that. Wifey was freaking out and wouldn't even look out half the time,,,, YIKES!!!!!!

Pete,

If you are in the Old Faithful area sometime, stop in at the bookstore in the Visitor's Center. We work there along with Pancake Bill and his wife.

The Beartooth can be a very terrifying experience for one that does not enjoy heights and huge drop-offs! It certainly can be done in an RV but I wanted folks to know it will not be an enjoyable drive in the country for most. Too much concentration required on the northern side and very few places to pull over and really enjoy the views.

Jim, should be at Old Faithful today, in the afternoon, the 19th,,, will look you up.

Jim:  Many years ago, I pulled a 29 foot travel trailer into Yellowstone via that route.  As I recall, my then wife, did not enjoy the trip.  Other than my Travelall struggling, I enjoyed it.

Hello. We're going next June. Any thoughts on how long it will take to drive a 25 ft RV from Billings over the Beartooths to Cooke City? Google Maps indicates 125 miles, 2h 30m. That's an average of 50 miles an hour and I'm thinking our average will be closer to 35-40. Maybe 50 miles an hour to the mountains, 25-30 getting up the switchbacks, 35-40 in the park with traffic, plus we'll want to pull over a few times. Thoughts?

macturberville said:
Hello. We're going next June. Any thoughts on how long it will take to drive a 25 ft RV from Billings over the Beartooths to Cooke City? Google Maps indicates 125 miles, 2h 30m. That's an average of 50 miles an hour and I'm thinking our average will be closer to 35-40. Maybe 50 miles an hour to the mountains, 25-30 getting up the switchbacks, 35-40 in the park with traffic, plus we'll want to pull over a few times. Thoughts?

I would be surprised it you could do Billings to Cooke City in 2-1/2 hr. You could probably do it in 3-1/2 hr., if you can resist the urge to stop and take pictures. I would expect that 4 to 5 hr. might be realistic.

Joel

macturberville said:

The high pass might still be closed in June due to snow. Take the long route.

BruceinFL said:
The high pass might still be closed in June due to snow. Take the long route.
Last year near the junction of Chief Joseph and Bear Tooth Hwy's - taken July 19.

Attachments

• 2014_07_19_247.jpg
    2014_07_19_247.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 42
Back
Top Bottom