Brand new - help us decide

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Judybird

Hi guys, we are so excited with the idea of retiring and buying a new RV.  My DH has some health problems so I will have to be prepared to drive if he doesn't feel like it.  Would you recommend a Class C, maybe winnebago view, instead of a smaller class A?  It will just be the 2 of us mostly with our 3 smallish mutts and parrot, sometimes DH and his brother will take it fishing.  But, won't I be able to back up, handle a C better?  Hope I'm not asking silly questions, we are brand new to this idea but we've always commented that'll be us someday when seeing rv'ers going down the freeway.  Thx for any advice.

There is a learning curve with a Class A because of the different driver perspective, but that's only a matter of a few days driving to get used to it.  If you are thinking of anything in the 26 ft or larger area, I suggest an A over a C, assuming you can find a floor plan that works for you. Smaller A's, 26-32 ft, are scarce on the used market.

You need to look at a lot of floor plans and use your imagination to put you and your gear in each one, testing to see what layout and what size will work for you. Don't worry about A vs C yet - look at both.

Thx, Gary!  26 ft would be the longest we'll need.  People have told us to start with a used one but we've never bought anything used, doubt we'll start now.  We hope to buy a forever RV, but we will look at loads of them first.  Do you think there is one brand that is better built, or more 'woman driver friendly' than the others?  I'm thinking of backing up, u know:)

We bought our first new "forever RV" last December, traded it last Friday for our next new "forever RV"
Whether your going to drive a class C or class A, there is still going to be a learning curve, albeit a short one. Lets face it, neither is going to drive like a Camery. As far as length, a 32 foot is just as easy to drive as a 26 foot. Go with a floor plan that you like.
An RV is a wonderful way to spend your kids inheritance, go for it!

Judy, I'm wondering why you think a 26' is all you'll need.  We've progressed through the years from 18' C, 22' C, 30' C, 34' A, to our current 40' A.  We moved up each time because we needed/wanted more room or a better engine.  Each one has served us well, but we never looked at any of them as a "forever" unit.  They were all great while we had them, but the last two As are diesel pushers which work better in our western mountains.

You seem to be concerned about backing a motorhome.  Backing up any motorhome is pretty much the same so size is not relevant.  What is relevant is the length and width of the site you're backing into, where the electric utility box is located, where the sewer is located, where the water faucet is located, whether you have slides and where they will fit in relation to trees, whether you can open your underbays if hedges or trees are there, and whether your satellite TV has a clear view of the southern sky.  When you back up there are techniques to make it easier and taking the RV Driving School can help you learn how to do it.  It's always a good idea to have another set of eyes back there so you don't make a wrong move, but that's not always possible.  You and your spotter should work out hand signals so you know whether to swing the rear end right, left, or straight and when to stop or go forward.

It may sound complex but it really isn't.  It just takes some practice.  It doesn't sound like you've actually bought your motorhome yet so I suggest test driving as many as you can and make sure you go backward as well as forward, over rough roads such as railroad tracks, and so forth so you get a feel for the handling.

Many of the women on this RV Forum drive their motorhomes so you'll have lots of moral support.  As Gary said, finding the floor plan and model that works best for you is the most important part of a motorhome purchase so have fun shopping!

ArdraF

Hi Judybird,

Every RV owner on this forum understands the excitement you're talking about (fun, isn't it :)). RVing is a great lifestyle. However, it can be very easy to let a smooth talking, seemingly all knowing RV salesman talk you into an RV that doesn't suit your particular RVing needs. Being as you're new to this, I'd strongly recommend doing a lot of web surfing so you can see some of the floorplans and features that are out there. Go to a few RV dealerships and look at those floorplans and features in "real life". You may walk away with a totally different opinion (we did).

If you can, go to an RV show (or shows) that have RVs from different manufacturers. That's where you'll really see the differences and similarities between coaches and it'll be easier to make apples-to-apples comparisons. As far as getting a Class C or a Class A, it's really personal preference. Some folks feel more comfortable driving a Class C, because the driver's compartment looks more familiar to them than a Class A, but really, that's where it ends. The box behind you might be a little shorter and a little narrower than some Class As, but then again, some Class Cs are huge. I guess what I'm saying is, don't let the different look and feel of a Class A scare you away from them. They're really not hard to drive or maneuver - especially the size of coach you're talking about.

Good luck as you move ahead!

Kev

Welcome Judybird

Just about every beginning RVer wants a small RV under the assumption they are easier to drive. Well they aren't easier to drive, just different. Many people here, myself included, would much rather drive a large class A than a small class C. You will be spending 95% of your time living in the RV and 5% of the time driving it so it doesn't make sense to maximize your purchase towards what you think will be an easier rig to drive. After a few months they are just like driving a car.

Buying your first RV new is generally going to cost you a lot of money. It is very difficult to know exactly what you want in an RV until you live in one and use one for at least a year. Then you are going to want to upgrade to what you really should have bought in the first place. RVs depreciate like a rock. If you start out with a $20k to $30k rig you will minimize your losses when you upgrade.

I would suggest renting for a few weekends before buying. Remember a class C wastes the first 8 feet. A 32 foot class C will feel 8 feet shorter than a 32 foot class A. A class A will have larger holding tanks, more room for stuff and more room for living.

Wow, what great advice!!  Thank you all so much.  So, we think now we want class A and big :). We are going this weekend to look and drive some.  I will definitely have to have lessons because my Toyota sequoia is as big as I've ever driven.  Renting one a few times seems to be the smart thing to do.  Hopefully we won't fall in love at first sight and bring one home the first day.  DH very level headed so doubt that'll happen.

We do have our 3 dogs to think about because they are really the reason we're doing this, so we can take them along on vacations, and when we retire on every trip.  I think they'll be the safest in kennels while we're riding.  Do any of you have pups you take along and how do you manage them? 

Thx again!!

Being brand new does not mean your first decision has to be suspect. It suggests, however, that you do your homework and try to make an informed decision at the moment. That's where it gets a little complicated since an RV is not an investment, but an expense, and the way you want to use it at the moment should dictate part of your decision. It's difficult to project where you will be five years from now, so the fact that you may change your mind along the way is part of the decision making.

The decision is both practical and emotional - you need some space to live the way you like, your critter comfort is obviously part of this, and you want to be conscious of what all that costs. Emotionally, you are going to pick colors, special features, and floor plans.

The more time you sit on the lot imaging how that works for your family on a rainy day, where your "stuff" goes, what its like to cook and shower in, and how comfortable the sleeping arrangements are, the better off you will be. There are numerous threads here on the Forum that will show you the process others went through and those will be very helpful.

At this point, you should sift as much data as you can without going mad, drive a few, park a few, and sit in a few. All this early research will serve you extremely well in the long run. You won't be sorry that you were patient - if there is one universal truth, there is always another car, house, boat, plane or RV - they never seem to run out...

Enjoy your search . We were all brand new once.

Kim

Dog and RVs are a touchy subject. I will touch on some of the problems. Many campgrounds have rules on pets. Some limit the number you can have somewhere between none and five. Some have weight limitations, usually around 20 pounds. Some have breed limits, i.e. no pit bulls, no rottweilers, etc. All have rules against barking. If you leave your dogs in your RV and there is a chance they will bark while you are away, and that is against rules. Barking dogs in general are not tolerated. Dogs must be on a leash and under control at all times. You must pick up after your dogs. You can't leave your dog staked outside your RV and then you leave.

In short in an RV park or campground you are going to have a lot of neighbors very close to you. You really need to be an extremely responsible dog owner since most campers did not go camping to listen to dogs, step in dog poop or get harassed by a dog.

Here is a suggestion as to what you might wish to look at. I am not recommending this unit in particular, I am just showing you what you can expect to see in an old used RV. This old gal has lots of life left in her.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2005-Fleetwood-Fiesta-32S-Class-RV-/281131162837?pt=RVs_Campers&hash=item4174b91cd5#ht_896wt_1170

That one looks good!!  I have asked seller some questions.  It is 500 miles from us so that's a bummer.

As far as dogs go, ours are like the kids we never had.  They each are 20 lbs and beautifully trained, i.e., no barking unless something big is happening, then a quick no works, all 3 were pee pad trained at 8 wks, we would never leave them outside alone or not pick up their poo.  They are super spoiled but deserve it because they're perfect little animals that someone dumped out 5 yrs ago.

One other thing that concerns me about length of rv is hauling a car behind.  DH seems to think we'll want to trailer a little smart car or small honda, etc.  If we're in a rv resort a dirt road away from the ocean and super organized about having everything we'll need, do we really need a vehicle??  We'll eat light all day, cereal, sandwiches, and grill out at night, I can't really see needing a car to go anywhere once we get there.  Do all of you pull a car behind you? 

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 18
Judybird:

Let me relay this situation.  I had an uncle who thought as you do(never buy used).  Please reconsider unless you are willing to lose an awful lot of money.  When he retired he bought a brand new Argosy class-a 33'.  Paid $63K for it.  Cashed in $63K worth of savings bonds that he and my aunt had been buying for years(another dumb move but that is another story).  For 5 years they did a little traveling but not much.  After 5 years they decided that it was not for them.  He could not sell the rig for enough to buy a Chrysler van for $24K.  The depreciation killed them.  You lose something like 20% the minute you drive off the lot. 

When we decidde to get an RV we bought a 20' class C for $4k.  We used it for 1 1/2 years, decided to move upward to a 29' class-c and sold the 20' for what we paid for it $4k. 

So buying new is NOT I repeat N O T recommended unless you are 100% sure this is for you or you are independently wealthy and can afford to lose quite a few thousand dollars.   

ALK

Judybird said:
One other thing that concerns me about length of rv is hauling a car behind.  DH seems to think we'll want to trailer a little smart car or small honda, etc.  If we're in a rv resort a dirt road away from the ocean and super organized about having everything we'll need, do we really need a vehicle??  We'll eat light all day, cereal, sandwiches, and grill out at night, I can't really see needing a car to go anywhere once we get there.  Do all of you pull a car behind you?
I full timed it for ten years without a toad. It can be done. If I had a spouse and some dogs I would probably go for a toad. You would not want a trailer, just pull the Honda behind you. Most full timers have a toad and most say it is not much of a problem towing one.

BLAKDUKE said:
Judybird:

Let me relay this situation.  I had an uncle who thought as you do(never buy used).  Please reconsider unless you are willing to lose an awful lot of money.  When he retired he bought a brand new Argosy class-a 33'.  Paid $63K for it.  Cashed in $63K worth of savings bonds that he and my aunt had been buying for years(another dumb move but that is another story).  For 5 years they did a little traveling but not much.  After 5 years they decided that it was not for them.  He could not sell the rig for enough to buy a Chrysler van for $24K.  The depreciation killed them.  You lose something like 20% the minute you drive off the lot. 

When we decidde to get an RV we bought a 20' class C for $4k.  We used it for 1 1/2 years, decided to move upward to a 29' class-c and sold the 20' for what we paid for it $4k. 

So buying new is NOT I repeat N O T recommended unless you are 100% sure this is for you or you are independently wealthy and can afford to lose quite a few thousand dollars.   

ALK

PS

I just read your last post.  There are several posts out here on towing either 4 down or a tow dolly.  Each has their own opinion so read them and decide.  I prefer the tow dolly method, but a lot of folks out here disagree with me.  This is a free country and they are entitled to their opinion, even if it is a wrong one(SMILE).  I have my reasons and they have theirs.  Search for all the posts on the towing question and then decide which is best for you.  As for the fur-kids, I think you will find a vast overwhelming majority of RV'rs bought their rigs for the same reason.  We got tired of smelly pet motel rooms that we had to pay a premium for or motels that would not allow our dogs no matter what.  I have had good luck at every campground that we have been to.
Good luck and please post when and what you decided to do.

Edit: Fixed quote tag.

I've been full-timing in a 32' Class C for over a year without a toad.  I am mostly moving from place to place every 3-10 days, so I keep on the move.  I do my grocery shopping between campgrounds and can carry plenty of food for over a week.  I use a bike to get around the campground. 

I pack up and do sightseeing even while at a campground, but since I prefer state and national parks, I seldom have to do more than unplug electric and put in my slides.  It is a bother, but then so is hooking up and unhooking and hauling a car.  If I am somewhere I can't go with my motorhome, I rent a car. Renting a car is not possible everywhere, but it is a lot cheaper than the insurance and cost of a toad.

No situation is perfect, but you have to decide what style of travel is right for you.  If I stayed a month or more at one location, a toad would be more attractive to me.  Someday I might haul a toad, but for right now, this is best for me. 

Why have a TOAD?

1.  It is a grocery getter.
2. Medical Emergencies where un-hooking the RV would take too long and could even create a bigger emergency.
3. Leave the RV in place while out sightseeing. RV's will not always be practical for getting around especially where parking an RV is not practical in a crowded sightseeing area.

I have been to the hospital several times in our travels and would not travel without a toad. I tow 4 down with a Jeep Liberty. I have towed with a dolly and a trailer and would never go back to either. Your choice of an RV will dictate what you can tow. I cannot add to what has been said as far as choice of RV but I will emphasize that floorplan is important. We take grandkids with us on some trips so the bunk beds were a must and they do make great storage space when we travel without the grandchildren. Bunkbeds may make a great kennel area for your furry kids. as you could put three cages on the lower bunk bed and use the storage space on the upper.

make sure you get a RV thats not a weekend type rv    you want a RV that is made to live in full time with higher end parts

class A  in the long run is what you wish you would have

and 4 feet for cab 7 feet for bed whats left is what you get to live in and love 

rent a class C frist if you really think you want one  then look to see if all the things you would like to keep well fit  inside

i have a 38f class A  gas pusher

You guys are so neat; we really appreciate the advice.  I LOVE the Winnebago Vista 30T.  It looks like it'd be perfect for us.  I can't quit thinking about this RV hobby and have already started making lists without even being in one yet :).  Thx so much; hope I can sleep without dreaming about all this stuff tonite because it has pretty much taken up my entire day :p

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 57

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aquaticvegetation
Back