Brand new - help us decide

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Have you driven a Vista yet? If not you are in for a treat. If you think you have the bug now wait until after you have driven one. They are fun to drive.

Judybird said:
Do you think there is one brand that is better built, or more 'woman driver friendly' than the others?  I'm thinking of backing up, u know:)
There is no such thing as 'woman driver friendly'. They are all easy to drive. It doesn't matter if you are male or female. There are small women on this forum that regularly drive 42 foot diesel pushers. Most come equipped with large mirrors and back up cameras to make backing up a snap.

SeilerBird said:
There is no such thing as 'woman driver friendly'. They are all easy to drive. It doesn't matter if you are male or female. There are small women on this forum that regularly drive 42 foot diesel pushers. Most come equipped with large mirrors and back up cameras to make backing up a snap.

Actually, once you learn to use the mirrors (and the rear cameras, for those that have them) the class A rigs are often easier to back up than many class C's. The hard part of backing is learning to use (and trust) your mirrors. That being said, it's good to have a spotter, because you may not spot (or correctly judge) a tree that you just miss clearing, or some other odd occurrence.

Welcome to the RVForum.  You are getting lots of good information.  One thing I would like to suggest is to check out our library by clicking the "library" button above on the tool bar.  We have several articles such as: "check lists" for purchasing a used RV, discussion about diesel vs gas coaches and how to determine tire age.  All good articles.

I would like to add if you buy anything at 30 foot and longer that you make sure you get 2 air conditioners.  It's hard for one A/C to keep a unit cool in high heat.  Also things like dual paned windows add to keeping the RV cool in the summer and warmer in the winter.  You will also want one with a generator.  Most of us use generators while driving to keep the RV cool.  The dash air is usually not enough.

We own a 36' diesel and I drive it.  In fact my husband and I vie to see who gets to drive.  The Class A's have a wider visual area and are easier to see out of.  The Class C's have an overhang that can sometimes get in the way.  We also tow a small car; having to set up then disconnect to go sightseeing or to the grocery can be a pain.  Also if you begin to do lots of traveling, visiting places of interest, often there is no room for bigger vehicles.

Have fun with your search, visit as many RV shows as you can get to, rent one for a week.  Yes, it might be a bit expensive, but it could save you lots of $$$ in the end when you decide what you bought isn't working and you need to replace it.

Marsha~

Thx, u guys.. No, we haven't driven a 30T yet, but we're pretty sure that's the one for us.  We did ride in and DH drove our neighbor's Coachmen last night and it was FUN.  DH said it was easy to drive.  He has a fishing trip I'd forgotten about this weekend so it'll be next week before we can go RV shopping.  We want a 2014 and a lot of them aren't out yet, but one is at a dealership 3 hrs from here.  I'm already imagining that particular one in the backyard.  We will have to have or have built one of those carports for it. 

Another worry I'm having is what to do with my flowers???  I guess I could depend on/hire someone to water while we're gone, but we've never had much luck with people looking after our house/pool or animals while we were away.  Disasters, actually.  I'm thinking automatic sprinklers could work.  I could move all the pots to one area, I suppose, and hope that works everyday.  Can't depend on the rain although we've had huge amts so far this yr. 

My experience....being new to RVing about a year ago.  I was so sure that I didn't want anybody else' headaches and so we were bent on buying new....a 5th wheel.  We plan to go full timing as soon as my wife retires in four more years.  A year into this we so wished we'd have bought a used class A with the features that Marsha pointed out...and a few more.

We've since gone to several RV shows and have been on many RV lots....even talked about trading our 2013 5th wheel in on trade.  The equity lost the minute we drove it off the lot is incredable to say the least...to the point where a trade in is just not a consideration at this point.  The only good thing is that through my research I did buy a good, quality built 5th wheel that has a good reputation (built by Northwood) and as much as we've used it in the past year, we've not had any issues.

I'd just like to add that if you're bent on "new" you might consider one that's not the current model year.  The 2014 model year class A will be out soon and many dealers still have 2013 models and you may even find a 2012 or even a 2011 model year if you're willing to fly to get it.  The price will be dropped significantly and you still get the new warranty on every thing from date of purchase.  The one down side is the tires would then be one or two years old....depending on the model year.

Also please know that if you buy new you do not pay MSRP!  From what I've read on these forums in the past year, you should be looking to pay, depending on make and model, somewhere between 15% to 25% below MSRP.  Others can share their experience.  However, again, you may have to be willing to travel to get that kind of deal.  Once you decide on a make and model....do an internet search.

Good luck!

JC

Just like with cars.... I prefer taking multiple vehicles for a drive to see what feels the best.  When my wife and I were shopping back in 09 we drove a handful of rv's and chose the floor plan we liked the most and the second best driving rv.  The best we drove was a diesel pusher.... Providence 39s but we decided new gas class a was a better option for us, we able to get over 40% off msrp.  Yes I do wish I had the extra tq of a diesel but for as much as we drive our rv gas is fine.

I would if possible consider driving a few different rv's at different price points.  A cheap/entry level class a vs a mid range class a.... And for that matter class c's if it works for you.  For us the difference between a fleetwood terra 35ft ford chassis vs the workhorse bounder 38p was quite large.....

Like mentioned backing up isn't to bad, just takes time getting use to mirrors and the camera like others mentioned. 

Toad wise if you are concerned about off road stuff consider a jeep.  We have a wrangler n limited which we tow w/o a trailer and its a excellent vehicle.  We can go everywhere we want and is very easy to hook up and disconnect.  We have the 4dr due to my wife's 3 kids.... No way I would consider a smart car.... Horrible vehicle! 

With watering your plants possibly join the local garden club and get someone to watch your place.  You could still go the timer route but I would still have someone check in on the place, things do fail at times..... I have someone in a local aquarium club check in on my house.  I have a 475g sal****er tank as well as about 22k gallons of koi ponds in my backyard..... Having someone knowledgeable stop in even if its once a week removes so much stress.... Vs just giving the neighborhood kids a few bucks

Yes, we've had terrible experiences with teens, almost lawsuits ensued.. We won't do that again. 

We talked about flying to Iowa and buying a Winnebago there.  The 2014 model has some neat upgrades.  I talked to a really nice young woman there today.  They pick you up at the airport, give you a car to use while you're there, tours, school in driving and setting up etc.  DH was surprisingly interested in that.  Only problem with that in my mind is what about when it needs service!  Local guys probably wouldn't like us too much, lol.

We probably wouldn't worry with towing a car at first.  The few places we have in mind to visit first are beaches and very close to friends/family, and we'd like to get the feel of it before we tow.  DH has already mapped out where it'll be parked in the backyard, his bass boat has it's area in yard with electricity, so he's deciding which trees will have to come down/ be trimmed. 

This is so exciting.  We had a cute lake house yrs ago but we couldn't drive it down the road, and taxes and insurance were crazy high.  It did appreciate greatly where RV won't, but we think rv'ing will be more fun than the lake where we worked our butts off.

Especially with a Winnebago, I am not sure I would get stuck on the service problem away from the selling dealer.

We have full timed for three years in a used Fleetwood Expedition ("oh, don't buy that - they went bankrupt and you'll never get parts") and now a new Thor Tuscany and service has not been a show stopper. Yes, it's a little inconvenient to find a warranty dealer sometimes, but again, we have had no major issues that required an emergency response to something.

Many folks (Tiffin, Winnebago) like to plan their time to make it through the factory mother ship with their punch lists that are manufacturer specific, and both of our coaches were on the Freightliner chassis, with both Caterpillar or Cummins support. I have never felt like I would have an impossible time getting serviced somewhere in the 17 states we have lived in.

I think it's more than a little obnoxious that a selling dealer would threaten customers with the "you did not buy here" stick, but you get non-selling dealer support with cars and trucks, so...... Not saying it cannot happen but there are a lot of competent RV dealers who really don't care which brand you are in. You have to remember it's a big box with multiple vendors contributing systems. The manufacturer assembled and painted it.

Keep doing your homework and your decision will be a wise one!

You will find out of necessity that you can drive anything regardless of size unless you are one who has trouble parking and backing a sedan. You just have to practice practice and practice to learn how the rig performs and develop situational awareness as to where the sides, front, back and top is. Yes, you'll have to pay attention to height, as those wires and limbs are now closer and potentially lethal to the top of an RV.

Don't rule out used, we recently found a gem of a class A motor home, a 38' HR Ambassador that was very well cared for and very agile to drive. We looked at a couple class C which met our very basic need of shelter, but lacked room to breath and more importantly storage capacity for full time living. I found that from a drivers perspective the class A we purchased had better visibility than those class C's we drove. When the house is wider than the cab, seeing everything is tougher than being able to look down the side...even if you have to stick your head out the side window to check for traffic or objects.

On my wife's list of requirements was a kitchen to meet her needs, something she is very pleased with with the unit we bought. Others had great amenities but little or no prep area (counter surface). As mentioned you need to find the unit that serves your needs whether it be an A or C.

Just be sure to test drive anything you are considering. Take a ride on a circuit that gives you the opportunity to drive on various roadways including through congested areas, which I recommend you have as the last portion of the drive which allows you to get a little more familiar with the rig before tackling that portion.

We begin our full time journey very soon, as I type this we're moving what we didn't sell off into a storage unit and those things we are taking into the MH...in just over a week's time the house will be a memory and life on the road will have begun.

Kitchen:

Attachments

• DSC_0907.jpg
    DSC_0907.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 48
Judybird said:
You guys are so neat; we really appreciate the advice.  I LOVE the Winnebago Vista 30T.  It looks like it'd be perfect for us.  I can't quit thinking about this RV hobby and have already started making lists without even being in one yet :).  Thx so much; hope I can sleep without dreaming about all this stuff tonite because it has pretty much taken up my entire day :p
very nice, are there slides on both sides?

Judybird,

As far as your plant are concerned, at lowes they have an automatic watering system that you put on a faucet, It has a timer and is programable. It comes with a bunch of small black hoes and a bunch of little nozzles. you can set it up and forget it.

They run about $50.00 for the whole setup

One thing I haven't seem mentioned (unless I missed it) that I would consider important ... and not always obvious until you have used it a while.  That is concerning slideouts .... while they definitely give you more room when parked and setup, be sure to verify that you can live with the slides in.  On our 01 Fleetwood Southwind we are able to access everything except the laundry bin and a couple of small cabinets at the end of the bed with the slides in.  This can become very important while traveling (overnight stops, even lunch stops ) or in say a wooded spot where  you cannot extend one or both slides. 

We like the slides and have been very happy with our decision to buy a used unit that had been gently used ... there are units out there that the stove has never been used ... some folks prefer to use campground facilities for showers and bathroom for whatever reason ... it will likely take a while to find but they are there.

Also there should be a sticker inside one of the cabinets showing the weights of the unit and useable cargo capacity.  Some units come from the factory with little if any useable carrying capacity ... ie only a few hundred pounds.  Others will correct me if I'm off here, but I have seen the consensus that full timers need about 3000 pounds for there "stuff" when all is said and done.

All in all I can't think of any major issues we have had buying used ... at least other than self induced !  And actually, knock on wood ... little of that!    ;D

Howard

Judybird:
  I went down a very similar path as what you are proposing.  2 and a half years ago we were fairly certain we wanted to buy a brand new class C 31 ft.  While doing our homework, I found this forum.  I listened carefully to what everyone had to say.  I expanded my circle to look at class A's.  Like you, we really liked a brand new Winnebago Vista 30T.  It had all the features, except one, that we were looking for and we felt willing to concede the 1 feature.  In addition, the dealer was offering 25K off the MSRP.  We thought we were set.  We went to one more dealer to look at 1 more brand new class C just to make sure we really wanted the class A.  While at the class C dealer, we saw a Winnebago 34ft class A diesel pusher.  It was a 2005 with 34K miles, but it had every feature we were looking for and some we didn't even know we wanted.  I can not begin to tell you how easy the 34ft DP is to drive.  I drove a 1986 26ft Minnie Winnie Class C for 15 years.  I can absolutely say the 34 ft class A diesel pusher is much easier to drive that the 26 ft class C.  We paid the same price for the 6 year old DP as we would have for the brand new class C, and about 20K less that the brand new Vista.  But let me tell you, you owe it to yourself to drive a used DP.  We have had no significant issues in 2 and a half years and feel this is the best decision we ever made regarding RV's.  The extra room and the quality of the drive cannot be over emphasized.  i am sure you will be happy with whatever your choice is, but don't dismiss anything because you think it will be had to drive or because it is used. JM2C

Steve

I would say from the sounds of things that they are going to buy new, if I had the funds I would have bought new myself although that's not what I normally do. We are already considering a larger gas powered MH with a slide (s) because it is so much fun and relaxation even with a few wild grandchildren and we have only had the motorhome since April. At 56 yrs old I am not going to sign a 50K plus note especially in today's economy, fifteen or even ten years ago maybe. I think I can find what we want for under 35K and maybe less. But like most people have said on here, these things like other toys that aren't fastened to the earth loose their value fast, but if a person has the money set aside for this, then good for them.

I know its kinda been said here, but not succinctly:

Test drive, test drive, test drive!  AND Rent! Rent! Rent!

Until you've lived in one for a few days, you will NEVER know if it works for you.  I have a 25' class C Winnebago View.  I love it. BUT, I'm a weekend camper with one or two week long-ish trips a year.  Its just me, my 9 year old son, and an occasional loaner kid.  Just finished my first big trip (I'm still somewhat of a rookie), for 10 days, and that was plenty long in that amount of space.  On the rainy days things got really tight.  I can't even imagine what it would've been like with even one pet, let alone 3.  Don't get me wrong.  My RV is perfect for my needs right now.  But, after I win the lottery  :p and am able to full-time, I know I'll have to sell this one and upgrade.  Which brings me to another point mentioned many times already.  IT WILL DEPRECIATE LIKE A ROCK!  I bought used, and was pleased with getting it significantly below blue book -- for whatever that's worth.  My step mom bought new last year, and although she loves hers, now believes she made a huge mistake, as its worth SOOOOOOO much less already. 

As for driveability -- you can drive, and back up, anything, so long as you have enough practice, and take it slowly.  If I can do it anyone can.

Take your time.  Test.  Rent.

Let us know what you decide!

Well, we've driven several now.  I even drove 2 of them.. Granted it was from rest stop to rest stop, LOL, but I was petrified, my lane seemed so small.. After a few miles it felt good.  DH loves it.  We mapped out all the spots we want to go to first and we won't be spending too much on gas unless it goes up more, looks like that's in the plan, tho.  Thors are nice.  I can see why they are so popular.  Coachmen, too.  Still want that Winnie:).

My cousin, who heard from my mom that we are looking, called and insisted we come get his, take it to nearby lake campground and see if we love it like they do.  It is a Newmar, bigger than what we want but it should be a good test. 

The Vista 30T has 3 slides.  I like the table and chairs but DH thinks he'd rather have a "booth" to slide in.  If we do buy one, we would schedule a trip a month now while we're working.  Plenty of beaches within 3 hrs, big lakes 40 miles away.

Dogs won't be a problem.  They love to be walked, then they doze and watch what we're doing, quite docile, not yappers or nervous at all.  My cousin said dogs welcome, they are why he bought theirs, they have a yapper yorkie (adorable) but a nervous Nellie.  Would campgrounds allow us to put up a portable fence out in front where we will be grilling so dogs can be out there with us?? 

Judybird said:
Would campgrounds allow us to put up a portable fence out in front where we will be grilling so dogs can be out there with us??
Most of them would. It wouldn't hurt to ask beforehand. However no one will let you do it if you leave the dogs unattended in the pen.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7mark7
Back
Top Bottom