New to RV'ing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Basher81

Hey Everyone

We have just purchased a new to us 2002 Peak Mfg. Frontier 20' Trailer.

We have had a Tent Trailer for years so I am up to speed on the how to's of trailering,  I do however have some questions about the extras we now have with the trailer.

1.  How do I set up the chemical toilet/holding tank?
2.  Do I need to do anything special for the Grey Water?
3.  How do I empty the toilet holding tank/grey water tank?

Thanks for your response in advance  :)

Welcome to the Best place on the net for RV'ers!

Let me give you my 2 cents input on your questions.

1.  How do I set up the chemical toilet/holding tank?

Keep tank valves closed until you are ready to empty. Use lots of water on your black tank (toilet) when you flush, this is very important or it can get blocked by too much solids/not enough liquids.

2.  Do I need to do anything special for the Grey Water?

I don't

3.  How do I empty the toilet holding tank/grey water tank?

Very carefully, watch the movie RV with Robin Williams to see how NOT to do it.. :)
Don't drain until as full as possible, more is better. Connect your drain hose to RV , make sure other end is in the drain pipe securely. Drain black tank first. If you have a spray bar on your tank, connect it/turn on until you see clear out of your black tank. If not you can add water through the toilet with a hose or cleaning wand. Next empty your grey tank, it will flush the debris from the black tank left in your hoses.
After your are all done and valves are closed, make sure you add some water , gallon or so, to both tanks. Dry tanks let any residue solidify, and seals dry out.

All the cleaners you see for RV tanks aren't usually necessary. Enzyme cleaners don't work in short periods, and most of the others are just  scented to kill odors. I used them all the time when we first got our trailer, then have backed off after being on this forum and reading others comments.

So in a nutshell, I use lots of water, empty when full, flush, and add some water when done.

I hope this helps.
Tom

This is a very short but nice video. Quick tips to dump the grey and black tank.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dW9pou0S2d4

The only thing I would add is to invest in a good quality hose, like the Camco RhinoFlex shown in the video above, they only cost about $25, are available at Wal-Mart, Amazon, etc. and are far better and less likely to come apart in the middle of dumping than the cheap one ended hoses included with many RV's.

p.s. there are a number of good quality hoses out there, the RhinoFlex though is probably the most common one out there, my guess is the standard RhinoFlex out sells all the others combined based upon how many I see in campgrounds.

If you set up at a campground with sewer hook up DO NOT leave your Black tank open. Never leave you black tank open. You will make a poop pile in your tank if you do. After you dump your black tank close the dump valve and put 5 gas of water back in. not just 1 as stated above. You do not want poo stuck to the bottom of the tank.

Back
Top Bottom