Same ole' issue - Figuring out towing capacities and weight

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ABorkat

Believe me when I say I tried really hard over the past few weeks to understand this, but I?m still confused.  I sort of understand GVWR and towing capacity, but I don?t know that I understand how they relate to each other.  I?ve read tons of posts here, including Thoss?s pinned post, where I love what he said, ?I'm driving my wife nuts with all the figures.?  I?m doing the same.  We will have the TV delivered soon, and will be looking for a TT within a year.

Anyway, I pulled all the data I think I need, and I want someone to help validate if my calculations are correct, and then tell me how to calculate what my true max towing capacity would be.  Even though the truck?s towing capacity reads 6,000 lbs. on paper, I know I can?t just load up the family and all our cargo, and then put a 6,000 lbs. trailer behind me.

Here?s the TV data:
2006 Ford Expedition w/3:31.1 gears
GVWR - 7100 lbs.
GCWR  - 11800
Curb weight - 5352 lbs.
Towing capacity - 6000 lbs.

Here?s the estimated cargo data:
People - 400 lbs.
Gear - 500 lbs.
Dogs - 100 lbs.

Here?s an example TT data:
Coachmen Freedom Express 233RBS
Hitch/Tongue Weight  - 635 lbs.
Base Weight  - 4471 lbs.
Fresh Water Capacity - 36 gal./300 lbs.

Now here?s what I came up with.  What I can carry in the TV:  7100 GVWR - 5352 CW - 1000 cargo = 748lbs. (So I think I?m safe with the gross vehicle weight inside the TV)

So with all this said, how to I calculate what I can actually tow?  What?s the total weight, and what?s the total weight with a cushion (I think I?ve ?ve read that for where I?ll travel, the East coast, 10% should do it).  And yes, I do plan on using a WDH with sway control.  I just want to be as safe as possible, so I want to make the right choice when I?m ready for the trailer.

Thanks,
Adam

With the lack of actual scaled weights, and using your numbers:

Loaded weight of TV = (5,352 + 400 + 500 + 100 + 635) = 6,987 lbs.
Within the 7,100 lbs GVWR of the TV, but I suspect the curb weight does not include a tank of gas  ???

Towing capacity = (GCWR - loaded weight of TV) = (11,800 - 6,987) = 4,813 lbs.

I'm not sure what the 'base weight' of the trailer means, and whether it includes any options in the build; Only a scale will confirm the trailer's actual weight. I'm assuming that the 'base weight' includes the hitch/tongue weight; If so, you can deduct it, because I added it to the loaded weight of the TV.

Trailer weight = (4,471 - 635) + (300) = 4,316 lbs.
Within the 4,813 lbs calculated towing capacity.

Thanks Tom!  That helps a lot.  Looks like I wasn't factoring in a handful of pieces too.  A little additional info to your response, you're right, I hadn't thought about gas  :-\

Sounds like some gear may need to go into the TT in that case to keep everything better balanced.  Also, the base weight I referred to is the weight advertised by the manufacturer.  When the time comes to buy the TT, I will make sure I get scaled weights first.  Your calculations will help me compare to the scaled weight though to make sure I'm within a safe range.

Last thing, I don't know about the base weight and hitch weight, or if it's safe to deduct it.  It's just how the manufacturers note it in brochures and ads.

I think what I'm learning is that "6000 lbs. towing capacity" on a spec sheet may not really be all that much when looking at 23-25 ft. trailers...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom