Perspective of the experts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SeilerBird

Bob - One of the huge advantages of shooting with Sony is that there is no mirror flipping up and down in burst mode. It just quietly ticks away. The SLT design has a mirror that is stationary so there is considerably less moving parts to worry about wearing out. However when I shot with a 50D I didn't worry about wearing it out, I still kept it on 6 fps and blasted away at everything. I just leave my camera on the highest burst mode and if I have a portrait and only want one shot I can usually just do a burst of one or two shots.

SeilerBird said:
Bob - One of the huge advantages of shooting with Sony is that there is no mirror flipping up and down in burst mode. It just quietly ticks away. The SLT design has a mirror that is stationary so there is considerably less moving parts to worry about wearing out. However when I shot with a 50D I didn't worry about wearing it out, I still kept it on 6 fps and blasted away at everything. I just leave my camera on the highest burst mode and if I have a portrait and only want one shot I can usually just do a burst of one or two shots.

And with your type of shooting, that's a huge plus for you. Do you feel Canon and Nikon will move in that direction?

The mirror moving up and down is a clunky happening - but it also allows me to view through the lens. And I would never want to give that up.

Another question. When looking at compacts, I was impressed w/one Sony I was looking at. But then noticed there was no shutter, aperture, or manual modes. Then I discovered that none of the Sony compacts or bridges at Fry's that AM had those modes. My niece got a Sony bridge for Christmas and asked me some shooting questions - and I was stumped because I couldn't find those modes on the dial. Any thoughts?

Bob Buchanan said:
And with your type of shooting, that's a huge plus for you. Do you feel Canon and Nikon will move in that direction?
That question is endlessly debated on photography forums and I don't know the answer. And I don't even care about the answer. I have my camera and I am happy with it. It really doesn't matter to me what Sony or any of the other camera companies do. There are a lot of mirrorless cameras being produced but I doubt any of them will ever make DSLRs obsolete any time in the near future. The exciting thing for me is that we have a choice. We are no longer locked into only a few choices.
The mirror moving up and down is a clunky happening - but it also allows me to view through the lens. And I would never want to give that up.
I can look though the lens on my Sony. The mirror is still there, it is just stationary. Instead of moving up and down it is translucent. That means 70% of the light coming through the lens is passed on the to sensor. That leaves 30% to get reflected up to the LCD and the focus sensor. People who hate Sony complain bitterly about the 30% loss of light, but it certainly has never bothered me.
Another question. When looking at compacts, I was impressed w/one Sony I was looking at. But then noticed there was no shutter, aperture, or manual modes. Then I discovered that none of the Sony compacts or bridges at Fry's that AM had those modes. My niece got a Sony bridge for Christmas and asked me some shooting questions - and I was stumped because I couldn't find those modes on the dial. Any thoughts?
I have seen several P&S and several bridge cameras without S, A or M modes. Point and shoot photographers generally can't figure out how to turn on the flash. So those modes are light years beyond what they want and need in a camera. I suggest you download the manual for her camera and then you can explain to her how to use the camera. If you want her to use S, A and M modes then buy her a different camera and sign her up for a photography course. That is the point of not having those modes. You don't need to take classes to learn how to use the camera. People buy cheaper cameras because they want it easy and automatic. Buying a P&S and using it like a DSLR just doesn't make sense to me.

SeilerBird said:
That question is endlessly debated on photography forums and I don't know the answer. And I don't even care about the answer.
OK.

That leaves 30% to get reflected up to the LCD and the focus sensor.
Guess I didn't state that properly - should have written, "I would never want anything other than an optical viewfinder". Personal choice that is fruitless to debate.  :)

If you want her to use S, A and M modes then buy her a different camera and sign her up for a photography course. That is the point of not having those modes. You don't need to take classes to learn how to use the camera. People buy cheaper cameras because they want it easy and automatic. Buying a P&S and using it like a DSLR just doesn't make sense to me.
That's most likely true. However, if I am asked what compact to purchase, would never recommend a camera without A,S, & M modes if I felt that person might want to move up in their knowledges. Which is exactly the case with my niece. Her husband bought her the wrong camera for her needs. Many like myself carry compacts like the 360SX and use it like a DSLR - mostly in Av just as I do with my 50D mode. But again, personal choice that is fruitless to debate.

Thanks for the feedback, Tom.

Bob Buchanan said:
Guess I didn't state that properly - should have written, "I would never want anything other than an optical viewfinder". Personal choice that is fruitless to debate.  :)
Personal choice is fruitless to debate. I just don't understand your attitude though. There is a new technology that is a whole lot better than the old technology yet you refuse to even give it a chance and try it. Your mind is already made up that you will hate it. If you used a Sony SLT for a week you would have a very hard time going back to your 50D.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MoeHoward
Back
Top Bottom