On The Road Again...Only a month behind 'schedule.'

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Steve & Linda

This a testament to the forum members who always advise 'it not about a timetable, it's about the journey.' My nicely laid out plan for our Out West Tour began on schedule, 5/15. Our goal: GC, Yellowstone, Rushmore, Deadwood & Bad Lands then head East to OH and finally back home, a 3 month trip...no problem, only we spent 2 weeks in Kingman, AZ waiting for trailing arm repair and windshield to be re-seated (CW x3 failure...don't get me started), then on to Yellowstone!  Got as far as St. George, UT and the turbo went out and another 2 weeks waiting for repair. If this sounds like I'm whining, I'm not. We did our homework and maintenance & had rig checked out b4 we left home. We left St. George this am and are almost to Pocatello, ID. so far so good. To pass time during these delays we've managed to sightsee GC West, South, North Rim, Route 66, Needles CA, Lake Havasu, Oatman, Snow Canyon, Zion, Bryce, Pipe Spring, Red Canyon, Hurricane, Jacob Lake, as well as swim & relax. I'd say that's a pretty good trip so far wouldn't you?

Steve,

If nothing else, you are persistent! Sorry it has been less than fun!

We're in Island Park, ID just outside West Yellowstone, and are finishing up two months in the area. When you roll in, holler, and we can tell lies somewhere in the area at dinner! Glad to give you the local scoop!

Kim

Man, I hope we're not gonna miss you but we arrived at Yellowstone Edge RV Park this afternoon. It's about 20 miles from Gardiner & the North Entrance. We set up and then made a run down to Mammoth for a late lunch. Drive down & back was great. Now we're sitting here planning our strategy for making the most of each day trip into park, which loop to drive, how long each will take. We are not hikers but that won't stop our best effort to see as much as possible over the next week. Any particular suggestions?

The area around Mammoth is pretty amazing in its own right, with the elk laying all over the lawns, the thermal features, and the big horn sheep in the valley on the way in from Gardiner (you have to look close). Then you can run out to Lamar Valley easily enough (I think we are headed out there late this afternoon). If you go all the way out to Soda Butte Creek, we have seen moose, bear, and mountain goats out that way.

If you get real adventurous, keep going out to Beartooth Highway, at least to the top, if you don't go all the way to Red Lodge. That's an all day sucker. The mileages are deceiving!

Tip: pack some snacks, sandwiches, drinks, water, etc. because most of your runs are going to be several hours minimum, and you don't want to get caught out without goodies. And fuel! Though there are places to stop, they are miles apart, and never when you need them! Cameras, binoculars, food, water, and fuel are all ready every time we hit the park, even if we think it's just for a short trip (nothing is short out here!) Oh, and your park map that you get at the gate.

Norris area with its geysers, and then of course all the geyser basins that lead to Old Faithful. Jim and Pat Dick and Bill and Jolene Whetstone can be found in the bookstore at Old Faithful and are wonderful sources for "what's next?".

The Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone should not be missed either. All the movie features in the different visitor centers are informative, usually take about 20 minutes, and are worth your time as well.

Don't know how many days you have, but they will be full! Have fun, we'll try to find you!

Kim

p.s. Pretty much forget phone service except maybe at Old Faithful and some at the major visitor centers...

Kim, yesterday we did the Mammoth run to Tower-Roosevelt then thru Lamar Valley to NE entrance, then turned around and headed back to Tower-Roosevelt and went left this time, thru the construction up to Mt Washburn to Canyon Village where we had late lunch & met Kamper Dave & his wife Sue. Headed over to view points for 'canyon' and the Falls. Saw osprey nest w/bird at Falls. Next we drove from Canyon Village to Norris geysers then back to Mammoth. Long drive but great day! Saw bear, elk and hundreds of bison, deer, and took great photos of lakes, mtns, water falls, & barn swallow nests clinging to the rock outcropping at Soda Butte. We're taking it easy today then make another 'assault' tomorrow driving thru park toward Tetons. We have a YNP tour scheduled for Friday that is an all day trip, too. We've got a week here to get in as much as we can, then heading to Rushmore, Badlands, Custer, etc. Hope we do meet up at some point; we're at Yellowstone Edge RV park, off 89 between Gardiner & Livingston, right on the river, very quiet & peaceful, a good choice for us.

Where did you see the bear(s)?

Thursday would be the best day for us to catch up. Tomorrow is a bad work day and Friday we are packing up for SLC on Saturday.

We need to hit Lamar Valley one last time, probably late afternoon Thursday. Use the email option and lets try to coordinate something.

Yesterday was elk jam and Middle Geyser Basin day... 8)

Attachments

• DSC_0022_elk_540.jpg
    DSC_0022_elk_540.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 15
  • DSC_0074_geyser_540.jpg
    DSC_0074_geyser_540.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 16
Back
Top Bottom