Empirical evidence for Tom (Seilerbird)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

therealsimpsons

Hi Tom,

We had a great day today in the Tetons. Here is empirical evidence of bison in GTNP. Today we arrived at Oxbow Bend around  7:00 p.m., and stayed until 10:00. Again, the mosquitoes were unbearable.

We saw the same river otters, some pelicans, Canadian geese, and a raven who was right outside the car door, begging to be fed. We didn't dare open the door or window.

Stan

Attachments

• Grand Teton National Park 008 resized.JPG
    Grand Teton National Park 008 resized.JPG
    104.7 KB · Views: 77
  • Grand Teton National Park 011 resized.JPG
    Grand Teton National Park 011 resized.JPG
    113.5 KB · Views: 62
  • Grand Teton National Park 018 resized.JPG
    Grand Teton National Park 018 resized.JPG
    160.7 KB · Views: 56
  • Grand Teton National Park 028 resized.JPG
    Grand Teton National Park 028 resized.JPG
    128.6 KB · Views: 56
  • Grand Teton National Park 030 resized.JPG
    Grand Teton National Park 030 resized.JPG
    168.4 KB · Views: 59
  • Grand Teton National Park 035 resized.JPG
    Grand Teton National Park 035 resized.JPG
    151.6 KB · Views: 58
  • Grand Teton National Park 039 resized.JPG
    Grand Teton National Park 039 resized.JPG
    154.3 KB · Views: 53
  • Grand Teton National Park 040 resized.JPG
    Grand Teton National Park 040 resized.JPG
    159 KB · Views: 58
You can't fool me Stan. I know those buffalo were Photoshopped into the photo ;D

Seriously, I have heard of mosquitoes being really bad at Oxbow but it never happened to me. They must have had a very wet winter there. An alternate location at sunset is the back porch of the Jackson Lake Lodge. Usually a ranger has a spotting scope set up. I doubt there would be a mosquito problem there. It's not as good as Oxbow, but then again nothing is as good as Oxbow. :)

If you look at the Tetons from the Jackson Lake area you will see a Glacier that I call Guitar Glacier. See if you can find it.

Your photos are great. They almost bring me to tears. I miss the Tetons, one of the best spots on the planet. Have you done the Swan Lake hike yet?

Swan Lake hike is one of my all time favorites. The beauty and the wildlife are beyond compare. Unfortunately the mosquitoes might be beyond compare too. I have never had problems with mosquitoes at the Tetons but it sounds different this year.

The Swan Lake hike starts close to the Visitors Center at Jackson Lake. It is about 3 miles out and back to Swan Lake. You pass Heron Lake and some of the best views of the Tetons in the park. There is an Osprey nest that can be seen from the hike. There used to be a ranger hike on the Swan Lake trail every morning at 8 am. That is the best way to see it the first time.

parttymer said:
We had a great day today in the Tetons. Here is empirical evidence of bison in GTNP. Today we arrived at Oxbow Bend around  7:00 p.m., and stayed until 10:00. Again, the mosquitoes were unbearable.
Last summer they claimed there are over 1,300 buffalo in the park.  I have been going to the Oxbow since I was in collage in the 70's, and on a few occasions encountered mosquitoes.  I'm like Tom it's one of my favorite places.  :)

Bill - Yeah, you gotta love a place where the animals come to you instead of having to go out searching. I wonder where they have been hiding those buffaloes?

Visited the Tetons last summer.  We have plans to go back in 2014.  This is one of my favorite places on earth.  This mountains can just paralyze you if you find the right spot.  We saw a few grizzlies, moose and plenty of bison.  I can't wait to go back! 

Back
Top Bottom