Toilet reviews?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Roamin Estate

We have a used 2010 Winnebago Chalet and the previous owner installed a Thetford model 80 recirculating toilet. Unless we're doing it wrong, it sort of smells a little too outhousey to me. It's not awful, but it's not great. I looked online and it seems this isn't uncommon. We're thinking of replacing it with a "normal" RV toilet - does anyone have any recommendations? I have no idea what was in it originally, so I don't know what we're looking out for mounting hardware or anything like that.

Any toilet reviews would be great. thanks!

RV toilets mount on the same type of floor flange used for household toilets, so that part of the installation isn't any big deal.

But one thing you must confirm is if the Chalet has a black water holding tank.  You need one with a conventional RV toilet, but having one is optional for a recirculating toilet as they basically store everything inside the toilet itself.  The previous owner could have removed the black tank (maybe it was leaking?) and replaced it with a pipe running directly to the sewer hose connection when he installed the recirculating toilet.

I recommend the Dometic 310 toilet. Mine is two years old and works great.

Thanks for the info. We do still have our black water tank - I don't know why the previous owner put this recirc toilet in, unless he was just looking for a few extra gallons of holding tank.

My husband sort of burst my bubble the other day by suggesting that any toildet we put in is going to smell. He asked if I'd ever used a marine toilet that doesn't have an odor. Well, no. It's is our first RV, but I've been on boats. Are they the same?  Will any toilet smell?  Our recirc doesn't smell the first few flushes after we dump it, but once it starts "recirculating" (and who thought that was a good idea, anyway?), it gets icky.

So will replacing the toilet help, will a new one also smell?

Thanks!

they  should not smell unless like mine, the gate seal was bad. Now that it's fixed I'm hoping for better air quality in that little room

Most RV toilets don't smell, or at least very seldom smell. But some people are very sensitive to odors and can nearly always detect a faint aroma. Maybe those of us who spend 150-365 nights a year in our RVs just get used to a faint smell. In any case, I would not expect an objectionable odor.

We just replaced our Concerto potty with a Thetford Aria Classic - here's the documented project.  Love the new potty.

We had sailboats for years - I got very good at rebuilding the marine heads every 12-18 months ::).  An RV toilet is simpler and more durable than marine models; no it will not smell if you use a holding tank chemical.

It's is our first RV, but I've been on boats. Are they the same?

No, most marine toilets I have run into have to be pumped to the holding tank. It is often the tubing used to connect the toilet to the tank and the tank to the pump-out fitting that smells not the holding tank itself. In addition, toilets on most boats have to be pumped dry while under way otherwise....! This is not a problem for smell either because the pump itself  acts like a P-trap and blocks odours from the tank. 

For some reason this tubing takes on odours after a while and  the smell persists even when the tank is clean and empty, but this ability may vary with the quality of the tubing used.

I solved that problem on my sailboat by changing the tubing...no more smell!! I had changed it shortly after I bought the boat and 20 years later, still no smell.

Alfa38User said:
I solved that problem on my sailboat by changing the tubing...no more smell!! I had changed it shortly after I bought the boat and 20 years later, still no smell.
We lived aboard our 40' sailboat for over six years and keeping the heads (we had two) fully functionally was an ongoing maintenance hassle.  At least every two years I would have to remove the discharge hoses and beat them against a piling to remove the crud that coated the inside of the hoses.

RV heads are so much easier to use and deal with.

....bearing in mind you were in salt water which hard on everything. I have also had to do that strip down and repair on a friends salt water boat, heh heh.... Not my favourite job..... My own was a freshwater boat where use of the holding tank and expensive pump-outs were compulsory (and the presence of Y valves forbidden). And yes, there are lots of stories floating around about Y valves and Coast Guard/Enviromental Inspections, some very true but others... :D

Although I never had too many problems with the boat head, RV heads are almost worry-free in comparison.

BTW I am very envious of your sailboat adventures John. I have had only two brief experiences doing that!!!!

My rv toilet does not smell, at least to where I can tell. I don?t use any chemicals what so ever, just lots of water as you are supposed to. I recommend a dometic 320. A bit pricey but a good choice. Porcelain bowl, same rim height as the one in your house and a standard seat. They have them at CW of course or online for bit less $.

We have been very satisfied with our modestly priced Thetford Aqua Magic Style Plus. The porcelain bowl and comfortable residential seat are very easy to keep clean.

When I read the first post, I thought: Recirculating????  YUCK!

After getting our boats in our possession, one of the first jobs is to remove prior evidence (if you get my drift).  Start out clean and new, if necessary. 
Use plenty of chemical/enzymes too.  You should never smell anything nasty from your toilet unless you are pumping out.
lisa

NY_Dutch said:
We have been very satisfied with our modestly priced Thetford Aqua Magic Style Plus. The porcelain bowl and comfortable residential seat are very easy to keep clean.
:)) :)) :))
I just got one too and it is wonderful. I love the porcelain since it feels more like a real toilet. :))

That's great, Tom! I'm sure you'll get a lot of comfortable "seat time" on it.  ;) ;D

We've had our Style Plus since 2008, and the only repair I've made was a new flush valve gasket earlier this year. That job took about 20 minutes. Oh, and I did use a new base gasket when I moved it from our old RV to our current one, but I don't think that counts as a "repair".

Dometic 310. Leaking at the seam after 4 1/2 years. Toilet had a slight rock to it between base. Took it apart tonight. Screws connecting the two parts were somewhat loose. Gasket between the porcelain and plastic was broken. The base had waste collecting in it. Terrible design. Parts are plastic and a thin gasket. Guess that is why they are in the manufacturing business. After reading numerous reviews, I don't think the perfect one is out there. Getting another 310 tomorrow and just go with it for now.

Back
Top Bottom