double over double bunk vs quad bunkhouse

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

adinack74

We are buying our first TT (after owning an old used pop-up and tenting).  We have three children ages 8, 6, 4.
I originally thought I wanted a quad bunk but after going to several dealers and looking at them, I'm concerned about how narrow the top bunks are, with no safety railings and many with no ladders.  My son (6) had a very difficult time climbing up there and could not get down.  He is also a toss n turn sleeper.  My daughter (4) is too little to manage it alone as well.  My oldest is also a toss n turn sleeper.  I also looked at a double over double bunk with a ladder (the new Jayco Flight 28 BHBE).  This seemed like a good fit.  The girls seemed to have room together on one bunk and the bunks are nestled in the walls so no concern about falling off top.  But it just has a curtain around the beds, no door or separate room.
For those with kids:
1) Has anyone successfully modified a quad bunk with railings, ladders?  How much did it cost?
2) Will the double over double be large enough for the girls (age 8, 4) in a few years?
3) Has anyone had problems with kids falling out of the top bunks? Or not being able to get down?
4) Opinions on having a separate sleeping room for the kids with a door to close off?
5) Seems difficult to find the double over double.

TIA for any advice!
Adina

The more important question is will you have a door on your room.

As far as the kids, They will monkey up and down to the beds in a quick hurry. Ladders and rails can be made or bought and the price depends on you.

I would make some rails from 2x2's and attach them securely and for a ladder, I would look around at yard sales and craigs list for old bunk beds with the metal tubing ladders and get them.

Our set up is single over double with about 3/4 of the bottom bunk nestled between walls and the top bunk wide open with the exception of 1 upper cabinet at the head. We have 2 girls. Our youngest (17) gets the top bunk and has never fallen out. Her sister (19 and 5-8" tall) still has enough room in the double to share with a friend (some of them taller than her). With that in mind...
  • A friend of ours made a ladder for a top bunk in his prior TT but one could be purchased as well.
  • Large enough? Probably. But also check the weight rating. I've seen them from 150 lbs up to 300 lbs.
  • Never fell out and always found a way to get up and down (starting at about 8 yrs old).
  • A bunk "room" was our first choice but we settled for a curtain and it's fine. At times the kids wish they had an actual door and it would have been convenient on a rainy day to seclude them with a DVD or games but overall, the curtain has been fine.
Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom