2012/2013 Honda CR-V Base Plate Install Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nvrver

2012/2013 Honda CR-V Base Plate Install Questions.
I am setting up our 2013 Honda CR-V up to use as our Toad and my Roadmaster #521567-1 Tow Bar Base Plate is due to arrive later this week.  The last car I did a base plate on was eight years ago on our 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee.  I have read the instructions and just wondering if this time I am taking on too much.  I am handy with tools, but at 72 not as agile now. 
Looking for advice from CR-V owners from 2007 -2013, especially 2012 -2013.
Vehicle is 2013 Honda CR-V EX, AWD.
Dick 

With the help of Forum friend Frank Wiemert I switched the base plates from our 2008 Honda CRV to our current 2011 CRV. The single largest challenge was figuring out the fasteners that retain the lower grill assembly but the instructions on Roadmaster's website make it a step by step process.

I will admit to being stiff after the many times up and down working on and under the front end. :p

I was 75 when I installed base plate brackets on my 2009 Honda CRV.  It was easy and straightforward.  I just  followed the excellent step by step instructions and had no problems.  The brackets are made in such a way to fit using existing bolts and bolt holes  installed at factory.  Every bracket fit precisely.  I have been towing it since '09 with no problems.  Hope this puts you at ease.  I wouldn't hesitate to tackle another base plate installation.

Thanks for the pep talk, I going do it myself.  Did any of you need to purchase some new plastic fasteners or were the ones you removed re-usable? Dick

Note to self - some of those cowl fasteners are not found at the parts store, and are $3 each at Honda. Ask me how I know...Be gentle with them - some are much easier to remove intact than others.  :'(

yea, be easy when disconnecting the front clips that hold on the FG cowling. Once you line up your brackets install all the bolts before you do any tightening and pull the bracket in evenly, they are a very precise fit. Take your time and it should be no problems. I just did a 2010 in 2 - 3 hrs.

FYI,  the 2012 and 2013 CRV's are totally different from the 2007-2011 models. I put the Roadmaster setup on my 2011 with no problem.  My son, who has a weld shop and does hitches and tow bars for a living, put a Blue Ox setup on a 2013 CRV, and had a real rough time with it. The bumper removal alone is a lot tougher as I had mine off in 10 minutes, and it took him most of a morning, and clips did get broken.

Thanks for all the help.  Its done and looks great.  I had it installed by Ott's Farm Equipment a Roadmaster dealer in Fallon NV, they did a great job and only $230.  Decided to have it done by them due to the extreme hot weather. 
Regards, Dick  nvrver

Attachments

• IMG_1374.JPG
    IMG_1374.JPG
    90.1 KB · Views: 22
Back
Top Bottom