EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products PO Box Zone
Over The Network Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Direcway Roof Mounts Info  (Read 15871 times)

Ron

• Former Staff
  • ---
Direcway Roof Mounts Info
« on: April 05, 2005, 05:31:14 PM »
Guess that cheese will be extra sharp by next year. ;D ;D

Karl,

Let me do some checking around for what is now available for roof mounts.  Last I heard the mounts like Bob's and mine are still available.

Sure does make setup easier.
Ron & Sam-home is where we park it. Currently located   HERE

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
Re: Bob Buchanan checking in . . .
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2005, 08:48:20 PM »
I'd be interested in a roof mount too Ron, although I'm really gun shy about drilling holes in my roof. Maybe a job for Moab?
Tom.  Need help? Click the Help button in the toolbar above.

Karl

• Former Staff
  • ---
  • No Brett; no sweat. A QB's not the whole team.
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2005, 10:23:22 PM »
Tom,
Holes are merely voids without substance :) Haven't you heard about Liquid Nails, pop rivets, contact cement, or duct tape??? Seriously, my main concern would be finding a substantial footing for the mount, which may require a large baseplate of some sort, or at least knowledge of where the main structural supports are located.   
Karl (Cheesehead) Kolbus   Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "...holy cow ...what a ride!"

Ron

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2005, 11:17:24 PM »
I'd be interested in a roof mount too Ron, although I'm really gun shy about drilling holes in my roof. Maybe a job for Moab?
I have inquiries as to the availability of two different mounts one like Bob Terry and I have and another that can be seen in the attached photo.  This roof mount has not been painted yet when photo was taken. Will let you knowmore details as I get them.
l
« Last Edit: April 05, 2005, 11:22:14 PM by Ron »

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2005, 11:27:12 PM »
Karl

You have to understand that we lost the entire roof of our Pace Arrow. A sad story for one evening over a Guiness. But it left me paranoid about leaks. Yes, I've used and have access to some excellent sealants, but duct tape  ???  ;D

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2005, 11:28:11 PM »
Interesting Ron, thanks for posting the photo. I haven't seen what yours/Terry's looks like to be able to compare.

Ron

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2005, 11:38:04 PM »
Photos of my mount are attached.

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2005, 12:04:29 AM »
Thanks for the additional photos Ron.

Karl

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2005, 10:15:08 AM »
Yeah Ron, Thanks for the photos! And Tom, I've got the Guinness if you've got the time :) O.k., forget the duct tape.
Karl (Cheesehead) Kolbus   Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "...holy cow ...what a ride!"

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2005, 10:18:36 AM »
The Guiness sounds inviting Karl. BTW I have a  roll of double sided tape I can use instead of duct tape.

Ron

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2005, 11:12:56 AM »
Interesting on the roof mounts.  My mount has those black handels for adusting the level.  We leveled it when we installed it, with the coach level, and  I haven't had to level it since. I do have a level on the mount which always shows level when the coach is level.  I have checked the mast for plumb using a fence post level a few times but it has never required adjustment.  Level the coach and the mast is plumb.

Karl

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2005, 01:02:08 PM »
Ron,
Good point. In theory and in practice, you shouldn't need to level it as there will only be one combination of azimuth and elevation that is correct. But, let's say you went to dump and returned to the same spot. Yes, you'd have to realign but the original settings should be very close to correct. I too level the mount before doing any other adjustments. Also, I've noticed that the highest receive signal strength is not always the best thing to have when adjusting the skew. Sometimes I'll have to adjust the elevation slightly to get a pass. Anyone else run into that?

Ron

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2005, 01:24:29 PM »
Karl,

With the roof mount if the coach is level the mount is level and the mast is plumb.  I have checked several times but have never readjusted since installation of the mount.  I have on a couple ocassions noticed the levels on the mount showing an unlevel condition.  Just asked my driver to relevel the coach and after she did that all was level.  Reason the coach was unlevel was one of the jacks sunk into the ground.

Yes I have found that to pass cross pol one may have to adjust either the Azmuth or elevation.  Doesn't happen often though.

DonJordan

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2005, 01:41:14 PM »
Ron,

How about splitting off this fairly long thread on DirectWay antennas from the "Bob Buchanan is checking in..." thread and renaming it to "DirectWay antenna roof mounts" or something similar?  It would make it easier for anyone who might have an interest in the subject to find it.  ;D
Don Jordan.

Ron

• Former Staff
  • ---
Re: Direcway Roof Mounts Info
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2005, 01:51:22 PM »
Thanks for reminding me Don.  I had planned on doing that earlier this morning but guess I got caught up in answering messages and such and forgot to.

DonJordan

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2005, 04:13:38 PM »
Thanks for reminding me Don. I had planned on doing that earlier this morning but guess I got caught up in answering messages and such and forgot to.

Glad to be of help  ;D ;D ;D.
Don Jordan.

Bob Buchanan

• ---
    • RV Space Manager reservation SW <c>
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2005, 06:34:36 PM »
Karl:

But, let's say you went to dump and returned to the same spot. Yes, you'd have to realign but the original settings should be very close to correct. I too level the mount before doing any other adjustments. Also, I've noticed that the highest receive signal strength is not always the best thing to have when adjusting the skew. Sometimes I'll have to adjust the elevation slightly to get a pass. Anyone else run into that?

In the early days we mounted the house roof mast and dish on a 2x4' piece of plywood on the ground and got it close to level with shims - then fine tuned with two separated nuts on each mast bolt. Fine tuning when we first started using tripods was done the same way (before the CofG offsets were introduced vs. just a plate on top of the pod). I found myself fine tuning the elevation (after peaking the azimuth) by tweaking the elevation up or down - which in turn moved it to a different elevation than called for from the zip code.

However, this only told me that I wasn't right on with a vertical mast. If the mast is close to perfectly vertical, the readings from the zipcode (or Lat/Long) will work every time. And that follows through with cross pol. The reason I have enjoyed the roof mount that Ron and Terry also use (other than convenience) is the ability to level the mast quickly and very accruately. Since using this roof mount, I have "never" had to adjust skew to pass cross pol. Actually, in the 3 plus years that I have been using the Direcway dish - I have never adjusted the skew to pass cross pol. I attribute that to finding ways to make that mast as close to vertical as possible.

My rig doesn't have auto levelers - and I only make it level enough to make my frig door not swing either way when open. So each time I set up, I use the 4 cranks plus leveling bubbles on the dish mount to do that final level. Takes from 5 to 10 seconds max. If I go the dump, or move the rig to and from the same spot for whatever reason, I just lower the dish (leaving the elevation and skew as is) and readjust the azimuth and frig door on my return. It then quickly passes cross pol again.
Bob (fulltimer - Rocklin, CA residency)
Current Location
My Photo Album
Business Website

Ron

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2005, 06:44:17 PM »
The only area that I have had to adjust az or elevation to get Xpol is in Mt.  Even with the mast plumb.  But MT is in the red and green zone for Sat 117.

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2005, 06:58:52 PM »
Bob/Ron

You're absolutely right about levelling for a vertical mast. A few days ago I moved my tripod from the front yard (where Jim Dick had been using it) to my neighbor's rear yard. The only thing I did was make sure the tripod was level i.e. the mast was vertical, and no other adjustments were needed.

Edit: Added photo of dual coax entering neighbor's house through window.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2005, 07:46:31 PM by Tom »

Ron

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2005, 08:07:43 PM »
More than once I have helped others having difficulty getting proper alignment of the Satellite and the only problem was they didn't have the mast plumb.  If I help somebody I usually check to insure the mast is plumb.

Karl

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2005, 08:13:10 PM »
Bob,
Point(s) well taken everyone. And Tom, you'd better remove those two pic's of your dish. I know someone who shall remain nameless (rhymes with Bob Buchanan), who might show up with a tape measure to check for 6' height. ;D Incidentally, those jugs sure make good martini dispensers, don't they?

Ron

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2005, 08:16:37 PM »
I'm pretty sure that Tom eyeb balled it and confirmed it is 6'.  Must be a illusion caused by the photo. ;D ;D

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2005, 08:48:44 PM »
The dish in both pics is way higher than dishes I've seen installed at other houses locally. In fact, some I've seen are below the level of the bottom of my tripod.

Ron

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2005, 09:07:07 PM »
See I told you Tom had eye balled it and found it to be acceptable. ;D

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2005, 09:18:51 PM »
LOL Ron, next time I'm out in the bass boat I'll have to remember to take my camera and take a shot of one of those "below ground level" DW dishes. You just have to see it, and I cpuldn't adequately describe it in words.

Ron

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2005, 09:39:26 PM »
Looking forward to the photos.

Jeff

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2005, 05:25:12 PM »
Ron, Bob, Tom:

I have until later this year to decide what I want to do for internet access on the road but your discussion piqued my interest.

I have several questions for the group:

1. Is this the dish that costs around $1500.00 to acquire and $60/mo? What are the upload/download speeds?

2. Do you have two antennaes, one on the coach and one for portable use?

3. Do you have to climb up on the roof each time you set up the sat or can you access it from within your coach?

4. What were the cost/benefits that led you to this system over the Datastorm?

Thanks,

Ron

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2005, 06:35:12 PM »
Jeff,

I have until later this year to decide what I want to do for internet access on the road but your discussion piqued my interest.
I have several questions for the group:

I will try to answer your questions in order written.

1. Is this the dish that costs around $1500.00 to acquire and $60/mo? What are the upload/download speeds?

The upload/download speeds vary depending on several things and each individules system/setup.  In my case my download speeds vary from 1800kbps to as low as 600Kbps  Upload speads are slower about 70Kbps to as low as 25Kbps.  The fact is this also depends on how it is being tested.  I use testmy.net
I just tested and upload was 48Kbps download was 700Kbps.  I have tested on ocassions at uploads of 105Kbps and Downloads as high as 2400Kbps.  However this is not the normal.

2. Do you have two antennaes, one on the coach and one for portable use?

I use a roof mount.  I carried m a tripod around for over a year after I got the roof mount and didn't use it so I sold the tripod.  I only have one dish.  On this dish I have added what they call Bird on a wire for DTV reception in addition to the internet.  Others use a tripod mount.  I am not aware of anyone that has a roof mount and carries a tripod.

3. Do you have to climb up on the roof each time you set up the sat or can you access it from within your coach?

In my case I climb the latter onto the roof to set up.  Takes me about 5 minutes to setup.  I do know a few folks with roof mounts that have a hatch in the ceiling of their coach through which they access to set up.

4. What were the cost/benefits that led you to this system over the Datastorm?

The DataStorm costs $4000 - $5000 bucks and there are others that cost even more.  The monthly cost is $100 bucks because they are on a business account.  The Datastorm is a very good system and it is automatic.  As Ned or phil or Russ sets up by pushing a button I and others do a manual setup.

The manual system with tripod with offset mount for dish  runs $1500 which includes training for set up DW6000, and OPI meter for tuning in on the Satellite.  Monthly cost is $60.  These are also very good systems but you do have to set them up manually. Set up is not difficult.

Bottom line is what you want to pay.  Both the DataStorm and the manual system I have use direcway so upload/download performance is about the same.

Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2005, 06:40:29 PM by Ron »

Jeff

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2005, 05:26:04 PM »
Thanks Ron, I'll go find out what Sue has planned on her wish list and see if it adds up to five grand or so. ;) ;) ;)

Ron

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2005, 05:44:30 PM »
Thanks Ron, I'll go find out what Sue has planned on her wish list and see if it adds up to five grand or so. ;) ;) ;)

With the roof mount my manual set up time is around five minutes.  With a tripod setup would be less than 15 minutes as I recall.
The biggest difference would be leveling. With the roof mount when we level the coach the roof mount is level.  Tripod you have add the leveling step.

Hosted by Over The Network