Direcway Roof Mounts Info

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Bob,
Point(s) well taken everyone. And Tom, you'd better remove those two pic's of your dish. I know someone who shall remain nameless (rhymes with Bob Buchanan), who might show up with a tape measure to check for 6' height. ;D Incidentally, those jugs sure make good martini dispensers, don't they?

The dish in both pics is way higher than dishes I've seen installed at other houses locally. In fact, some I've seen are below the level of the bottom of my tripod.

LOL Ron, next time I'm out in the bass boat I'll have to remember to take my camera and take a shot of one of those "below ground level" DW dishes. You just have to see it, and I cpuldn't adequately describe it in words.

Ron, Bob, Tom:

I have until later this year to decide what I want to do for internet access on the road but your discussion piqued my interest.

I have several questions for the group:

1. Is this the dish that costs around $1500.00 to acquire and $60/mo? What are the upload/download speeds?

2. Do you have two antennaes, one on the coach and one for portable use?

3. Do you have to climb up on the roof each time you set up the sat or can you access it from within your coach?

4. What were the cost/benefits that led you to this system over the Datastorm?

Thanks,

Jeff,

I have until later this year to decide what I want to do for internet access on the road but your discussion piqued my interest.
I have several questions for the group:

I will try to answer your questions in order written.

1. Is this the dish that costs around $1500.00 to acquire and $60/mo? What are the upload/download speeds?

The upload/download speeds vary depending on several things and each individules system/setup.? In my case my download speeds vary from 1800kbps to as low as 600Kbps? Upload speads are slower about 70Kbps to as low as 25Kbps.? The fact is this also depends on how it is being tested.? I use testmy.net
I just tested and upload was 48Kbps download was 700Kbps.  I have tested on ocassions at uploads of 105Kbps and Downloads as high as 2400Kbps.  However this is not the normal.

2. Do you have two antennaes, one on the coach and one for portable use?

I use a roof mount.? I carried m a tripod around for over a year after I got the roof mount and didn't use it so I sold the tripod.? I only have one dish.? On this dish I have added what they call Bird on a wire for DTV reception in addition to the internet.? Others use a tripod mount.? I am not aware of anyone that has a roof mount and carries a tripod.

3. Do you have to climb up on the roof each time you set up the sat or can you access it from within your coach?

In my case I climb the latter onto the roof to set up.? Takes me about 5 minutes to setup.? I do know a few folks with roof mounts that have a hatch in the ceiling of their coach through which they access to set up.

4. What were the cost/benefits that led you to this system over the Datastorm?

The DataStorm costs $4000 - $5000 bucks and there are others that cost even more.? The monthly cost is $100 bucks because they are on a business account.? The Datastorm is a very good system and it is automatic.? As Ned or phil or Russ sets up by pushing a button I and others do a manual setup.

The manual system with tripod with offset mount for dish? runs $1500 which includes training for set up DW6000, and OPI meter for tuning in on the Satellite.? Monthly cost is $60.? These are also very good systems but you do have to set them up manually. Set up is not difficult.

Bottom line is what you want to pay.? Both the DataStorm and the manual system I have use direcway so upload/download performance is about the same.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Ron, I'll go find out what Sue has planned on her wish list and see if it adds up to five grand or so. ;) ;) ;)

Jeff /Washington said:
Thanks Ron, I'll go find out what Sue has planned on her wish list and see if it adds up to five grand or so. ;) ;) ;)

With the roof mount my manual set up time is around five minutes.  With a tripod setup would be less than 15 minutes as I recall.
The biggest difference would be leveling. With the roof mount when we level the coach the roof mount is level.  Tripod you have add the leveling step.

Jeff /Washington said:

FWIW/FYI You can buy the DW4000 for about a $100+ on e-Bay or elsewhere(I have one for sale) . The rapid spread of DSL and Cable is providiing a lot of DW inventory.

Hey Ron:

With the roof mount my manual set up time is around five minutes.

I've told you "at least" a million times -- or more -- over and over -- time and time again -- about exaggerating <g>.

FWIW/FYI You can buy the DW4000 for about a $100+ on e-Bay or elsewhere(I have one for sale) . The rapid spread of DSL and Cable is providiing a lot of DW inventory.

If anyone goes after an eBay setup, they want to be careful that they get a good return policy if there is a problem. For example, the transmitter may not work (mine went out a few weeks ago). Also, the seller should post that all bills have been paid to Direcway. Otherwise, I understand that Direcway will not commision the modems until the former owners account is clear. Would suggest that potential buyers ask that question if it isn't posted.

However, the DW4000 prices are great and if someone is not going to network and just wants a vanilla dish, it's an excellent way to get 2-way. They "can" still network, but it's such a hassle compared to the DW6000. I also have a set of DW4000 modems I plan to sell on eBay.

I also have a set of DW4000 modems I plan to sell on eBay.

I have a complete DW4000 system for sale too.  This includes dish, lnb, and modems. ;D

I really like my one button setup, especially when it's raining ;)

Ron:

I had the same reaction, if you have to go to all that trouble up on the roof, why not just use the tripod.  I have used a tripod for Direct TV for a year and it never takes more then 60 seconds to get it running, unless I am trying to shoot through a forest.  Of course, I use the hand held signal meter.  Do they make signal meters for the Directway, or can the same Direct TV meter be used?

If so, I would much rather use the tripod.

In fact my tripod would now be available for satellite Internet, as my new coach will have the Direct TV dome with in motion automation.

Like someone else expressed, I am very leery about messing with the roof once the coach leaves the factor.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
urnwholesaler
Back
Top Bottom