Installing A Washing Machine...?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AGENT86

I know this will sound...well, let us see ;)

I want to install a washing machine in my 2006 Rockwood 30 ft.Ultralight I've been thinking about it a lot. I found a Haier model washer for under $300 new (Has GREAT reviews) made for studio apartments & small living quarters (Just under 17.5" wide, and I have just under 18" width to slide between shower & wall. Plenty of depth & height) It will fit between the shower stall & bedroom wall. I'll have to remove the lower portion of the cabinet, which is basically a hamper anyway.

The water supply hose connects to any sink faucet, water temp. can be adjusted right at the sink. I thought I could put the drain hose directly into the mini-garden tub...if I'm connected to a city sewer, it wouldn't be an issue (wouldn't have to be concerned about filling tank rapidly & then hauling to dump station, etc) Now, power is another issue all together. The trailer is a 30 amp. I'm going to purchase one of those portable Honda generator/inverters, the really quiet ones. I have seen one in action running three full-size floor freezers at once, so, I think one could handle a small size washer.

Eventually, I may consider more permanent wiring for the washer, but, I just want to be able to do my laundry without going to a public facility. It'll be a few months before I am all set up, possibly a bit longer, as I have other priories to spend my $$ on at the moment. Still, I'm already working it out in my head, trying to come up with the best possible option. I had some other ideas, but, this one seems the best, so far.

As for drying my laundry, clothes tree, inside a screen gazibo type deal, which I don't have yet, but, wanting to be respectful of any neighbors & keep it out of direct view. Am I being silly, or does any of this make sense?

It can be done, if you are willing to go to that extent. Other options are to look around for a used combo from an rv or even a stack unit that runs on 110v.

That is certainly feasible, though the generator will have to be sized to handle the load. The cute and quiet Honda 1000 isn't gonna cut it - you are looking at the 3000i as a minimum to provide even close to 30 amp service. Or would you use the generator in addition to campground 30A, as a separate source just for the washer?

Be aware that most campgrounds do not allow generators to be used if they have power at the site. They may also not allow clotheslines. It all depends on where you go.

Gary RV Roamer said:
That is certainly feasible, though the generator will have to be sized to handle the load. The cute and quiet Honda 1000 isn't gonna cut it - you are looking at the 3000i as a minimum to provide even close to 30 amp service. Or would you use the generator in addition to campground 30A, as a separate source just for the washer?

Be aware that most campgrounds do not allow generators to be used if they have power at the site. They may also not allow clotheslines. It all depends on where you go.

The RV stackables are too wide, I would have to modify the wall & I don't want to do that. I would be running the genny only for the washer, yes.

Gary RV Roamer said:

I've spoke with a couple campgrounds that provide long-term lease arrangements only, and they are a bit more liberal with certain rules, but, with the clothes line, as stated, I would use a "tree", keep it inside the screen porch & would make sure it was set up in a way that it wouldn't be seen by other campers. probably 3 sided drop down barrier, attached to the inside of the screened in area. The genny would only be run when the washer was in use, and at most twice a week for an hour or so each time.

I have the identical Haier washer. UPS delivered it right to my door at a campground.  I am in a 28 foot Class C RV.  I could NEVER live without my washer. I am in love!  I've had it 3 years. If my RV was on fire, I would grab the washer and run outside.  ;D  Mine happens to fit in my bedroom against the wall opposite the bathroom. I keep a round rubber cocktail type bar tray on top of the washer, so it doubles as an extra side table when I am not washing.

Haier Washer:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002UYSHMM/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B002UYSHMM&linkCode=as2&tag=recreationalvehicles-20

The washer runs off a regular 110 outlet, so you don't need a generator at all. I am on 30 amp service too. The water supply quick-connects to the sink and the drain hose fits down my bathroom sink drain perfectly. So I hook mine into the bathroom sink when I want to wash. Luckily the hoses reach from around the corner where it sits in my bedroom, so I don't even have to move the washer to wash.

You just have to "load share" when running the washer. In other words if you are washing clothes and running the air conditioner, you can't run the microwave and coffee pot too, something is going to trip a breaker. But I run my washer with electric heat or air conditioner running, but I don't run other heavy stuff (microwave, coffee pot etc.) until I am through washing.

I put a screen door hook on the bathroom door "yacht style" which enables me to hook the bathroom door open about 2 inches, when desired,  enough to let the hoses run through without the door being in the way when I am washing. I mention that because my bathroom door when open, blocks the entire hallway because I have a split bathroom with toilet and sink on one side and shower stall across the hall from it. The door hook I use when I an running the hoses, so the door is almost shut, but not blocking the hallway nor pinching the hoses.  My quick-connect is attached to the bathroom faucet and I am able to use the faucet just fine when not washing clothes.

I had to buy a cork at a hardware store that fit the inlet hose, so when I am through washing, I unplug the hose from the sink, then stick a cork in it, so water in the hose doesn't spill out on the floor. For the outlet hose, I found a rubber chair leg cap that fits the outlet hose and keeps it from spilling water when I am done. I put a piece of that double velcro on the hose, that I wrap the two together for storage when not washing.

I have indoor drying for the princely sum of about $30 total. I bought 2 spring loaded adjustable compression posts, the kind used to hold up shower curtains. I also bought closet rod flanges to hold up the compression posts because wet clothes are heavy, so the spring alone is not going to keep the rod in place.

I put one rod across the middle of my shower ceiling about an inch down from the ceiling.  The other one runs along my bedroom wall fore and aft, a clothes hanger's half width from the wall and about an inch down from the ceiling.

Next I bought a big stack of plastic clothes hangers and a stack of wooden clothes pins. When I wash clothes, I shake then out, then hang them up on the clothes hangers just the way I want them to dry. I hang these about an inch apart in the shower stall. If I need more room, I have the second clothes rod in the bedroom. For towels I use one per clothes hanger with clothes pins to attach them to the hanger. Ditto for socks and undies, use clothes pins to attach to hangers. For sheets, I shake them out, then simply drape one over a clothes hanger. Yes it's all wrinkly, but it dries surprisingly quick this way. I can wash my sheets in the morning and they are ready to go back on the bed in the afternoon, even with indoor drying.

As long as there is a little air around each article, everything dries quicker than you would think. Clothes hung up to dry feel "cool" when dry, not hot like out of the dryer, so you have to relearn laundry drying techniques.  Your clothes will last a lot longer too because they aren't getting beat up by the dryer.

The washer does SMALL loads beautifully. Do NOT overload the washer, and be careful about measuring soap. The fact it only does small loads at a time is PERFECT for indoor drying.

For instance, I often do 1-2-3 small loads of laundry in the morning right after my shower. Then I hang it up to dry as described. Later in the day, everything is dry and ready to be put away. Sometimes I do 1-2 loads at night and let them dry overnight. Put them away in the morning.

Things that are heavy when wet, such as my bluejeans, I only wash 1 or 2 pairs together with nothing else. I hang them up with the legs opened and the waist opened, so there is air inside and outside. They dry quicker than you think. Wet clothes just need air.  Sun, wind and heat are optional.

If you are in a hurry, you can use a  fan to blow on the clothes. I don't have to worry about an outside clothes line at all. I do travel with clothes line in case I am in a park where you can string one up, but mostly I am happy to dry indoors. I've moved from campground to campground with my clothes drying while I drive. I never wash while driving, that to me would be a disaster.

I wash all my clothes, my bedroom slippers, the dogs padded bed, and my sheets in the washer. I even do my throw rugs one at a time. My washer has saved me a fortune in quarters and hassle. I often stay in parks that are remote and not all have washing facilities.  I also workamp part of the year in a beautiful place that has no washer facilities either.

I bought a Downy Ball and use concentrated softener when I do towels or jeans. Everything else seems to come out soft enough. When I am around hard water, I also use some Calgon water softener, this does not soften clothes, but it prevents mineral and calcium buildup and it makes the hard water sudsy. About once a year I have to clean out the screen in the water hose attached to the washer as crap seems to get trapped there sometimes.

When I bought my washer, the instructions were a tad vague about the outlet hose, but you can re-route it to the opposite side of the washer if need be before you put the bottom of the washer on.  Otherwise the rest of the manual is fine. Read all of it!  They ship the washer with the metal bottom attached over the plastic lid, so it doesn't break in shipping. The consumer has to figure out which side you want the drain hose on, then attach the bottom part.

It comes with casters or rubber feet for you to attach. Mine is on casters, so I can move it around for cleaning under it. You might die laughing, but I put 2 hooks in the wall. Then I have a decorative rope running around the washer attaching it to the 2 hooks in the walls. This keeps the washer from moving around when I drive. Also it holds the hoses in place neatly beside the washer (along with the velcro strap) when I am not washing.  I can also unhook the rope and move the washer for cleaning underneath it.

That washer enables me to live fulltime in my RV without owning a mountain of clothes and the storage problems associated with that. Knowing I can wash anything, anytime is wonderful. The washer is well built, with numerous settings.  You can also reset it to do a 2nd rinse or another trip through the spin cycle, though this is rarely needed.

The spin cycle is very unique. It goes through 3 phases.  The 1st one is a slow spin, the 2nd one is a medium spin, then the 3rd spin is full speed ahead. There is a pause between each cycle. The washer will beep when it it finished and the lights on the dial go out.

If it beeps while spinning and stops, but the lights are flashing, then you have overloaded the washer. You will learn in time to never do this. In that case, you will need to remove something from the wash, then let it finish with the rest, then do whatever you removed in a separate load. I learned this the hard way with jeans or a sweatshirt or big sweater etc. I also have a heavy duty sweater and sweat shirt for winter use. I generally wash each one all by itself in the washer, then do more loads of whatever else I want to clean.

I wish all RV's would come with "empty space" to accommodate this wonderful compact washer. I love mine and for 3 years have dried my clothes inside without issue. The only thing I have used a regular washer for is my big fluffy comforter. I even bought cloth napkins to use when eating, saves me a bundle in paper towels. I also bought microfiber cleaning cloths.  I now only use about 2 rolls of paper towels per year.

If you want pics, let me know.

Not all campgrounds will allow a screen house on the lot.

DearMissMermaid said:
I have the identical Haier washer. UPS delivered it right to my door at a campground.  I am in a 28 foot Class C RV.  I could NEVER live without my washer. I am in love!  I've had it 3 years. If my RV was on fire, I would grab the washer and run outside.  ;D  Mine happens to fit in my bedroom against the wall opposite the bathroom. I keep a round rubber cocktail type bar tray on top of the washer, so it doubles as an extra side table when I am not washing.

Haier Washer:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002UYSHMM/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B002UYSHMM&linkCode=as2&tag=recreationalvehicles-20

The washer runs off a regular 110 outlet, so you don't need a generator at all. I am on 30 amp service too. The water supply quick-connects to the sink and the drain hose fits down my bathroom sink drain perfectly. So I hook mine into the bathroom sink when I want to wash. Luckily the hoses reach from around the corner where it sits in my bedroom, so I don't even have to move the washer to wash.

You just have to "load share" when running the washer. In other words if you are washing clothes and running the air conditioner, you can't run the microwave and coffee pot too, something is going to trip a breaker. But I run my washer with electric heat or air conditioner running, but I don't run other heavy stuff (microwave, coffee pot etc.) until I am through washing.

I put a screen door hook on the bathroom door "yacht style" which enables me to hook the bathroom door open about 2 inches, when desired,  enough to let the hoses run through without the door being in the way when I am washing. I mention that because my bathroom door when open, blocks the entire hallway because I have a split bathroom with toilet and sink on one side and shower stall across the hall from it. The door hook I use when I an running the hoses, so the door is almost shut, but not blocking the hallway nor pinching the hoses.  My quick-connect is attached to the bathroom faucet and I am able to use the faucet just fine when not washing clothes.

I had to buy a cork at a hardware store that fit the inlet hose, so when I am through washing, I unplug the hose from the sink, then stick a cork in it, so water in the hose doesn't spill out on the floor. For the outlet hose, I found a rubber chair leg cap that fits the outlet hose and keeps it from spilling water when I am done. I put a piece of that double velcro on the hose, that I wrap the two together for storage when not washing.

I have indoor drying for the princely sum of about $30 total. I bought 2 spring loaded adjustable compression posts, the kind used to hold up shower curtains. I also bought closet rod flanges to hold up the compression posts because wet clothes are heavy, so the spring alone is not going to keep the rod in place.

I put one rod across the middle of my shower ceiling about an inch down from the ceiling.  The other one runs along my bedroom wall fore and aft, a clothes hanger's half width from the wall and about an inch down from the ceiling.

Next I bought a big stack of plastic clothes hangers and a stack of wooden clothes pins. When I wash clothes, I shake then out, then hang them up on the clothes hangers just the way I want them to dry. I hang these about an inch apart in the shower stall. If I need more room, I have the second clothes rod in the bedroom. For towels I use one per clothes hanger with clothes pins to attach them to the hanger. Ditto for socks and undies, use clothes pins to attach to hangers. For sheets, I shake them out, then simply drape one over a clothes hanger. Yes it's all wrinkly, but it dries surprisingly quick this way. I can wash my sheets in the morning and they are ready to go back on the bed in the afternoon, even with indoor drying.

As long as there is a little air around each article, everything dries quicker than you would think. Clothes hung up to dry feel "cool" when dry, not hot like out of the dryer, so you have to relearn laundry drying techniques.  Your clothes will last a lot longer too because they aren't getting beat up by the dryer.

The washer does SMALL loads beautifully. Do NOT overload the washer, and be careful about measuring soap. The fact it only does small loads at a time is PERFECT for indoor drying.

For instance, I often do 1-2-3 small loads of laundry in the morning right after my shower. Then I hang it up to dry as described. Later in the day, everything is dry and ready to be put away. Sometimes I do 1-2 loads at night and let them dry overnight. Put them away in the morning.

Things that are heavy when wet, such as my bluejeans, I only wash 1 or 2 pairs together with nothing else. I hang them up with the legs opened and the waist opened, so there is air inside and outside. They dry quicker than you think. Wet clothes just need air.  Sun, wind and heat are optional.

If you are in a hurry, you can use a  fan to blow on the clothes. I don't have to worry about an outside clothes line at all. I do travel with clothes line in case I am in a park where you can string one up, but mostly I am happy to dry indoors. I've moved from campground to campground with my clothes drying while I drive. I never wash while driving, that to me would be a disaster.

I wash all my clothes, my bedroom slippers, the dogs padded bed, and my sheets in the washer. I even do my throw rugs one at a time. My washer has saved me a fortune in quarters and hassle. I often stay in parks that are remote and not all have washing facilities.  I also workamp part of the year in a beautiful place that has no washer facilities either.

I bought a Downy Ball and use concentrated softener when I do towels or jeans. Everything else seems to come out soft enough. When I am around hard water, I also use some Calgon water softener, this does not soften clothes, but it prevents mineral and calcium buildup and it makes the hard water sudsy. About once a year I have to clean out the screen in the water hose attached to the washer as crap seems to get trapped there sometimes.

When I bought my washer, the instructions were a tad vague about the outlet hose, but you can re-route it to the opposite side of the washer if need be before you put the bottom of the washer on.  Otherwise the rest of the manual is fine. Read all of it!  They ship the washer with the metal bottom attached over the plastic lid, so it doesn't break in shipping. The consumer has to figure out which side you want the drain hose on, then attach the bottom part.

It comes with casters or rubber feet for you to attach. Mine is on casters, so I can move it around for cleaning under it. You might die laughing, but I put 2 hooks in the wall. Then I have a decorative rope running around the washer attaching it to the 2 hooks in the walls. This keeps the washer from moving around when I drive. Also it holds the hoses in place neatly beside the washer (along with the velcro strap) when I am not washing.  I can also unhook the rope and move the washer for cleaning underneath it.

That washer enables me to live fulltime in my RV without owning a mountain of clothes and the storage problems associated with that. Knowing I can wash anything, anytime is wonderful. The washer is well built, with numerous settings.  You can also reset it to do a 2nd rinse or another trip through the spin cycle, though this is rarely needed.

The spin cycle is very unique. It goes through 3 phases.  The 1st one is a slow spin, the 2nd one is a medium spin, then the 3rd spin is full speed ahead. There is a pause between each cycle. The washer will beep when it it finished and the lights on the dial go out.

If it beeps while spinning and stops, but the lights are flashing, then you have overloaded the washer. You will learn in time to never do this. In that case, you will need to remove something from the wash, then let it finish with the rest, then do whatever you removed in a separate load. I learned this the hard way with jeans or a sweatshirt or big sweater etc. I also have a heavy duty sweater and sweat shirt for winter use. I generally wash each one all by itself in the washer, then do more loads of whatever else I want to clean.

I wish all RV's would come with "empty space" to accommodate this wonderful compact washer. I love mine and for 3 years have dried my clothes inside without issue. The only thing I have used a regular washer for is my big fluffy comforter. I even bought cloth napkins to use when eating, saves me a bundle in paper towels. I also bought microfiber cleaning cloths.  I now only use about 2 rolls of paper towels per year.

If you want pics, let me know.

WOW! Thank you for such an in-depth, informative reply! That's the exact washer I'm talking about. Now I know I won't have to have a generator to run it (although, I'll buy one sooner or later, anyway. Those things really come in handy!) I'll buy the washer before the end of summer. I just have to get situated. I like your method of drying the laundry, and will use that method when unable to hang outdoors. I'll post the results/comments after I buy & install the washer. Thanks again, you've been a great help!!

Ned said:
Not all campgrounds will allow a screen house on the lot.

Not a screen house, but the type of screened room that connects right to the RV. The one I saw a while back actually uses the awning as the roof of the screened in area. So, it's the exact size of the awning, which must be deployed in order to use that type screened room.

When drying clothes inside, make sure to make use of your vent fan to let out all the extra moisture you are adding to the RV. If you don't, over time you will have a mildew / rot issue!

captsteve said:
When drying clothes inside, make sure to make use of your vent fan to let out all the extra moisture you are adding to the RV. If you don't, over time you will have a mildew / rot issue!

Thanks for the concern.  I have all my windows open whenever possible because I love fresh air and fans over AC or heat any day, so I only use the AC or heat when forced to.  Also have 3 exhaust fans when needed. In the winter, I use mostly electric heat, which dries the clothes super fast and keeps the air from getting too dry. I also have 13 windows and I raise the shades on every one of them at sunrise. Sunshine kills  a lot of germs and spores.

This washing machine spins and wrings out the clothes really nicely.  We're not talking dripping wet clothes from being caught in the rain.

Actually, that is how my first compression post in the shower came into being...  I had a friend traveling with me for a few weeks, this was before I bought the washer. We went on a long hike and got caught in a deluge. We were literally dripping wet making huge puddles back at the RV, we had no where to hang our drippy clothes and it was pouring rain outside. The campground didn't have a laundry room either.

I came up with the compression rod idea for the shower. Later it worked so well for the clothes drying, I added one to the bedroom.

I grew up without a clothes dryer, I lived most of my adult life without a clothes dryer in far flung places yet I nearly always  owned a washer. So having one in my RV tickles my fancy for sure. Many people have forgotten how easy it is to dry clothes without a dryer and it was done for centuries before us.

It's why I stressed when hanging clothes and towels on the clothes hangers, to make sure there is air around each article so it can dry. If I'm in a hurry or worried about summer humidity, then I have a powerful  small fan to aim right at the clothes if I desire.

Also I forgot to mention that sometimes I've hung some drying clothes outside on the clothes hangers on the back ladder or my tall backed relaxing chair.  No one has complained and it's not a clothes line. It just looks likes I am airing a few shirts out. That's the beauty of the compact washer, it's small loads not a mountain of stuff that requires 100 feet of clothes line.

The RV stackables are too wide

I believe Gary meant the Splendide "all-in-one" unit for RVs.  It washes and dries straight through.  The downside is it doesn't fold the clothes!  :(  I don't know how the size compares to the stackable style.  See http://www.splendide.com/compare_specs.htm

Splendide makes both vented and ventless and I would want only the vented model.  Apparently the ventless takes an extraordinarily long time to dry.  I love my Splendide vented model.  It can be used on 30 amp but very carefully - nothing else on at the same time like the microwave or air conditioner.

MissMermaid was correct about using small loads.  That's true with all these small units.  The larger the load, the more wrinkles you'll have when you take them out.

ArdraF

ArdraF said:
I believe Gary meant the Splendide "all-in-one" unit for RVs.  It washes and dries straight through.  The downside is it doesn't fold the clothes!  :(  I don't know how the size compares to the stackable style.  See http://www.splendide.com/compare_specs.htm

Splendide makes both vented and ventless and I would want only the vented model.  Apparently the ventless takes an extraordinarily long time to dry.  I love my Splendide vented model.  It can be used on 30 amp but very carefully - nothing else on at the same time like the microwave or air conditioner.

MissMermaid was correct about using small loads.  That's true with all these small units.  The larger the load, the more wrinkles you'll have when you take them out.

ArdraF

Yes, I have looked at these units. I wish I could use them, as it has the dryer all-in-one with the washer, but, the width is 23.5 inches and I only have 18 inches MAX to work with, so, I'm opting for the Haier. The Haier gets a 5 star rating and has so many great reviews, I feel confident it will be a great unit!

That is a small space!  I know MissMermaid loves hers so I'd go that route too.  Hope it works well for you.

ArdraF

My Haier compact washing machine is a little under 17 inches square.  Did 2 loads this morning and they were dried indoors and put away by mid afternoon. It's a super QUIET machine too.  You will be surprised and keep checking it at first, to make sure it's working.

I must admit, I stared through the clear lid numerous times, fascinated with it.  ;D  Of course that was before I had TV. 

The Haier also has a tiny setting for just washing one small thing or in my case I use the small setting to wash my microfiber cleaning cloths. They have to be washed alone anyhow. They come out super clean, saves me a bundle on paper towels.

My small dog has a big fluffy cat bed he loves and it doubles as his car seat when we are driving the RV. I shake it outside, then turn it inside out and wash it by its lonesome in the Haier washer. His bed is over 3 years old and still looking new.

One day when I had the door open so he could be on a tether while I was in and out of the RV and patio doing stuff, he managed to drag out all his stuffed toys including 2 teddy bears as big as him. Next thing I know he got them tangled in his tether and dragged them through the mud, dirt and his water bowl. Later he wanted to drag them all back indoors when I scooped them up for the washer. He was gravely concerned about me putting them in the machine. Later I had to put them outside in the sun to dry where he couldn't reach them. I lined them up on the hood of my Class C since it was in the sun and I didn't have a clothes line up.

Campers walking by thought this ragtag collection of stuffed animals on my hood rather entertaining

EVERY motorhome builder should leave some spare room for one of these Haiers or spare room for anything you want. 

I was looking at used motorhomes the other day, and so many had every square inch pre-designed that there was nothing left to chance for owner preference.

As I write this today, Haier with shipping to your door is only $260 total.  That is less than I paid 3 years ago, mine with shipping ran $290 then. UPS brought it to my door in the campground.  ;D

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002UYSHMM/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B002UYSHMM&linkCode=as2&tag=motorhomeandrvstore-20

Back
Top Bottom