Sprinter Suspension Improvements - Fixed my crosswind problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheFitRV

Hi all -

I posted some of this on RV.net, but thought I would mention it here as well.  This is particular to those of us with Sprinter-based RVs.
Mine - a 2003 model - did not come with air bags, or an upgraded sway bar.  The original upfitter had replaced the shocks with Koni reds, but otherwise, everything was pretty stock.
I had always had problems with crosswinds, passing 18 wheelers, and going in and out of parking lots, and I finally decided to do something about it.

After some research, I settled on adding the Timbren SES to the front (only) of the Sprinter.  The price was right (only $170).  This improved things somewhat, mostly handling in curves and at speed, but it was not a silver bullet.  I can give a thumbs up to the front Timbrens if you have a Sprinter.  I posted a full review, with pictures, the weirdly long bolts, and other notes on our blog, which you can find in my signature.

But I was still wanting to improve the crosswind problem, which the Timbrens really didn't help.  So more research led me to Upscale Automotive and their Sprinter Store.  They recommended their Rear Spring Assist Kit for my problem and my Sprinter.  This was more expensive, but I went with it and had it installed before our last trip.  This was the improvement I was looking for.  The difference was amazing.  Again, I have posted complete review on our blog with pics and more driving impressions.  I can give an emphatic TWO THUMBS UP to the folks at Upscale Automotive.

If your Sprinter based rig came with airbags in the back, the difference with the Rear Spring Assist Kit likely won't be as noticeable.  But if you don't, and you're having crosswind issues like I was, I'd advise you to try the kit without hesitation.

(And neither Timbren nor Upscale Automotive is encouraging me to say this.  I'm just a very satisfied customer.)

That's the quick version.  If you really want the details, check out the full reviews.  Hope this helps someone!

I have experienced a lot of what you have described in my shop. The original problem in my opinion, especially on the Sprinters, is the air bags. They actually do not allow the springs to do their job. They take 4 ride points off springs, hence wind sway, and put the ride points at 2, air bags. By adding the helper springs, you have put the ride points back to a more manageable point, in essence 4 points. Good job. Good luck tou you.

Any idea who manufacturers the rear spring assist kit for Upscale.  I know that RoadMaster makes the Performance Sway Bar (1.375") and the Auxilliary Rear Sway Bar (1.5") for upscale.

George

I don't know, offhand. 
I didn't see any other markings or engravings on the kit before it was installed. 
Nor was there any indication of another manufacturer on the instructions.  So, at least to the casual observer, it looked like it was made by Upscale.  But I didn't try to investigate much further.

You could always try to call them to ask? 

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skibumbob
Back
Top Bottom