Walmarts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

waynesRV

So to stay overnight at wallmarts do you need to sighn up with someone? is there a list? and is it more then a night like 2 nights 3 nights?  please give me all the details.

Walmart stops are for overnight stops. You should park as far out of the way as possible and then go find the store manager and ask permission.

Things you should not do:

Put out awning, chairs, BBQ Grill, Pool, Plants, Dog Run, Rugs...  This is not a campground but a quick overnight stop for rest and supplies.

Avoid putting down your leveling jacks, It may damage the lot and cause them to stop allowing overnighters.

Do not dump your tanks on the lot!

I think I covered most of it, If I missed anything major I'm sure someone will chime in.

Steve

Not all Walmarts can allow overnight stays, so always verify that it is OK using a reliable source. The Customer Service desk is the place to inquire - they can get the duty manager if needed to give a definitive answer.  I use overnightrvparking.com, which is a subscription service that maintains current status info on over 10,000 free overnight parking locations, to determine in advance whether overnight stays are permitted. There are also some smart phone apps and other sources that may be up to date and reliable as well.

The basic "rule" is that you are a non-paying guest taking advantage of somebody else's hospitality, so don't abuse your host's good will. Don't overstay your welcome, don't make a mess of the place, and stay out of the way of the normal business at the store. And it's a nice gesture to spend some money with them if you can.

What Gary Said... I have been to ONE, exactly ONE wal-mart that did not alow overnighting by the store's choice, this was a "Neighborhood" Wall-Mart, these are smaller stores, small lot, not open 24 hours,  I parked nearby.

I have been to several cities and one state that do not allow overnight parking at Wal-mart, or Truck Stops or anywhere other than a licensed campground.

This is, however, NOT the policy of the store, it is the law of the land upon which the store was built.  If you encounter this do NOT blame the store.

John From Detroit said:
What Gary Said... I have been to ONE, exactly ONE wal-mart that did not alow overnighting by the store's choice, this was a "Neighborhood" Wall-Mart, these are smaller stores, small lot, not open 24 hours,  I parked nearby.

I have been to several cities and one state that do not allow overnight parking at Wal-mart, or Truck Stops or anywhere other than a licensed campground.

This is, however, NOT the policy of the store, it is the law of the land upon which the store was built.  If you encounter this do NOT blame the store.

To echo this, those stores which DO NOT permit overnight parking typically are complying with local municipal ordinances prohibiting overnight parking on city streets or parking lots. These ordinances from those I have read are long standing ones, put in place to deal with "gypsies", vagabonds, homeless, and other unwanted transients...some of these go clear back to the days of the Great Depression! 

My experiences have been that when a Wal*Mart (usually through no fault of their own) cannot allow overnights, they will have the lot posted so that you know when you first pull in.  I also select 24 hr stores as the limited security is all night and the lighting is also.  I try to select a spot on the edges of the lot so I am not taking a spot that a shopper might want.  In other words, be considerate and the permission should continue.  We do our shopping while we are there and make sure that we save purchases for the store where we are stopping overnight.

"These ordinances from those I have read are long standing ones, put in place to deal with "gypsies", vagabonds, homeless, and other unwanted transients" -- kinda like us!  ;D

I have an app on my phone called "ALLSTAYS" listing campgrounds, dump stations, fuel stations, service centers, just about everything.  It uses your current location.  It also lists Wal Mart stores and whether or not they usually allow overnight parking.  But, always ask regardless of what the app says.  And, always try to buy something.  But like someone else pointed out -- you're parking there for a quick rest enroute to somewhere else, not camping there. 

The app is $6 or $7, but well worth it.  You can tap on the campground and go directly to their website, call them with just a tap, read reviews, everything.  Best money I spent on an app so far.  Used it several times to both pick a camping site, and reject some!

x2 on Allstays!

On the OP's original question, in theory, it is suggested you contact the manager for permission.  In my practice, every time I have stayed at a Walmart, I have arrived late (after 10 pm) and there were already at least one RV there.  In that situation, I haven't taken the trouble to go in to ask the manager. I will have also verified via Allstays that the WM allows overnight parking.  If I were the first to arrive I would probably ask the manager.  And I usually try to make a purchase at the store, some supply that I know I will use.

Finally, I would NEVER stay at the same WM for more than one night.  That's what campgrounds are for.

On a recent trip I stayed at some WM's on the way there, (1100 mile trip,) and the way back.  I spent at least $100 at each stay, be it gas, supplies, or both.  My maximum stay was for about 14 hours, I stopped there due to a blinding rain storm during rush hour in Knoxville, TN.  After the rain let up, I did my shopping, and discovered their gas was only $2.98 so I filled up both the MH & the toad, then left after the morning rush hour.

I don't put out my slide, or jacks, just shop, eat, sleep, and go.  The reason I usually stop at places like that is for a short break to make me a safer driver, not camping.  In my younger days, I'd driver straight through, it would usually take me about 17 hours to run an 1100 mile trip.  In the MH it takes me about 3 days.

We have even found Walmarts in Northern Ontario that had signs posted saying "please feel free to overnight your RV here".

Ed

We stop at Wally Worlds while on the go and spend a short night there that usually costs us $50-$100 as WinAdventurer.

We are in our last home town before retirement 8 years ago. When we left there were two WMTs, in Mt Vernon 15 miles north and Marysville 8 miles south that used to allow RV parking. Both of those have now posted No Overnight signs.

Walmart built a new Supercenter 2 miles from our last home. It is set back from the street, neatly landscaped, and very convenient to everyone in the Arlington area. I hiked through the parking lot on my morning walks for a week and after five days of seeing the same derelict RVs parked in the same spots I took photos to have for the next WMT discussion like this.

If we still lived here I would ask Wal-Mart to prohibit these vagrants from living on our streets and if nothing happened would support a local ordinance to insure that it did. A 24 hour limit would probably work but I don't blame WMT for not wanting to run a meter service.

A couple of newer RVs spent the night here last week and I noticed they parked as far from these permanent residents as possible. When we no longer have the option of stopping at WMT we will have these folks to blame.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    166.7 KB · Views: 410
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    159.3 KB · Views: 362
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    154.1 KB · Views: 350
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    224.1 KB · Views: 361
As an RV traveler who occasionally needs an overnight spot, and a property owner where RVs overnight, I can say without any hesitation that I support all regulations banning free overnight rv parking on private property. Damage to asphalt from rv jacks and fluids leaking from rv and truck motors onto the ground, inconvenience to our tenants (who pay for the lot use), threats, and illegal behavior are just some of the blessings that come from overnighters. 99% of all those traveling in rvs are, IMO, outstanding people. I think the rest congregate in parking lots.

Maybe I'm one of the bad guys. We use a Walmart or Sam's Club occasionally, typically a couple times a year when in need of a simple overnight spot, enroute to some destination. We put the slides out as needed to make room inside, at least the bed slide and one of the lounge slides, and we may put some jacks down if necessary to get halfway level. Since we typically stop by late afternoon and start out around 10:30 a.m., we are usually in their lot for about 18 hours. We do, however, park as much out of the way as possible, both as a matter of politeness to other customers and less aggravation for ourselves, and generally try to be an unobtrusive guest. And rarely do we stop without spending money with one or more of the stores & restaurant surrounding the parking area.

Spending time in a parking lot can give some odd insights into our fellow citizens. We do see a few RVers who are abusive guests, but we OFTEN also see strange rendevous between 2-3 cars and trucks doing lord-only-knows-what, police cars meeting up with other police or private vehicles, lover's trysts, wandering pedestrians at all hours of the night, and single cars that park for 20-30 minutes and then move on, never once exiting the vehicle. It's little wonder more and more parking areas have employed 24 hour security patrols.  We have begun to think that stores with 24 hour security are to be avoided, since we aren't very comfortable overnighting where that level of protection is needed.

I agree that property owners have the right to ban overnight parking. But almost all Walmarts that have 'no overnight parking' signs did not place those signs, the city did. Most of us who overnight at Walmart (and other store parking lots) follow the rules and also spend plenty if money in the stores.

Maybe it's the pictures, Jeff, but those RVs look old but not derelict. Which doesn't excuse them overstaying.

odie1234 said:
As an RV traveler who occasionally needs an overnight spot, and a property owner where RVs overnight, I can say without any hesitation that I support all regulations banning free overnight rv parking on private property.

OD, as a property owner it is your right to limit the use of the property, so if you wish to purchase "No overnight RV parking" signs, and invite the police in to ticket (They can not come in without your invitation, in fact your request) That is how it is.

I have never left "Jack marks" in a Wal-Mart lot. or a Flying J lot.

I have seen one campground with a major "Jack Mark" problem (not from my RV, but this is the topic of another thread).

At the risk of becoming a lightning rod, we've never found the need to camp or overnight in a WalMart parking lot. Occasionally my driver will say "I'm ready to pull over and there's a WalMart right there". My response is usually "This is an unknown (to us) location in an unknown (to us) town. If you're tired, I'll drive to the next campground &/or next town."

OD, as a property owner it is your right to limit the use of the property, so if you wish to purchase "No overnight RV parking" signs, and invite the police in to ticket (They can not come in without your invitation, in fact your request) That is how it is.

Shoot, police are on speed dial on our phones and our tentant's, and they do come quickly when called, and sometimes the drug folks and child protective services with them. But signs do not work well - we have had fence gates torn down by people wanting to park their rvs. Sorry, this is probably the wrong place for me to vent. The kind of rv drivers that frequent these forums are unlikely to be the type to damage property or act as crime magnets. Those that do are more likely to be squatters or stealth parkers. Unfortunately, there are enough of them that it is easy to lump all rvs into the same category. It is easy for me to see why property owners support county/city regulations that limit overnight parking. Wal-Mart probably gets enough business from parkers, and their lots are large enough, that any issues are worth dealing with.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MtnRV
Back
Top Bottom