Walmarts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wen I'm out with the RV I typically find a RV park or a campground. I'm not the type to camp out in a store parking lot WalMart or other wise. After living 24 years in the forest of Idaho the last place I would ever consider for camping is a large city in store parking lot. I don't consider it safe nor right. I'd rather drive the extra 10-20 miles to the city limits to camp out in the desert or forest much safer.

Wendy said:
Maybe it's the pictures, Jeff, but those RVs look old but not derelict. Which doesn't excuse them overstaying.

Wendy:

Check photo #1 for the missing compartment doors and rust. If you look carefully at photo #2 you can see the green paint on the right side that looked hand painted. They evidently ran out of paint because the drivers's side was left faded gold. The only thing that didn't look faded on#3 were the patches. None looked like they had been washed or waxed in years.

These weren't just old, they were worn out.

Late to this discussion, but here's my 2 cents.  On the topic of damage to pavement:  I carry two 2' pieces of 3" x 8" timber to place under the jacks and a couple 18" pieces of 2 x 6 that are used under the stabilizers.

When traveling through North Dakota late in the afternoon we found there were no campgrounds for a long, long way from where we were, so stayed at a Wal*Mart.  We talked to the manager, bought supplies from the store, stayed one night.  Good experience.  We do prefer to stay at RV campgrounds though.  It just seems a little more secure than parking in a high-traffic area.

Wendy said:
Cool, we have a name, Walmartians. Who knew?

Not sure you want that name as it is also applied to  the customers who dress oddly, obscenely and generally in very bad taste.  Do a google search or a search of Youtube and you will see examples.    Sad to think of people who dress and act that way.

Jim Godward said:
Not sure you want that name as it is also applied to  the customers who dress oddly, obscenely and generally in very bad taste.  Do a google search or a search of Youtube and you will see examples.    Sad to think of people who dress and act that way.

Actually, I don't need to google it, I've seen the icky images. And even know one of the "ladies" who has been pictured. I guess we need a better name for the Walmart RV boondockersl

Don't know if they're still around, but there used to be a club/group/list called 'WalMart Bound'; Their members were easily recognizable walking around the store wearing large badges with their club name.

The thing I found amazing about that article was that when they mentioned the laws and ordiances restricting overnight parking at Wall Marts the article sounded a bit critical of the campground owner's assoications that push for them...

Like it was a bad thing. (As it happens.. I feel those laws are, indeed, a bad thing.

Do not dump your tanks on the lot!

I think I covered most of it, If I missed anything major I'm sure someone will chime in.

Steve

Well crap! No pun intended, that's just all I wanted to say to the greedy people.

Do not dump your tanks on the lot!

This is not a joke.  I once observed someone doing exactly that.  Could not believe my eyes!  He knew exactly what he was doing and that it was wrong because he was gone immediately thereafter.

ArdraF

Thanks Jeff.  Your pictures make me proud of the 21 year old motor home  we just bought.  Mine would be a upgrade to your neighborhood :).  Thanks Don in KY
Jeff said:
We stop at Wally Worlds while on the go and spend a short night there that usually costs us $50-$100 as WinAdventurer.

We are in our last home town before retirement 8 years ago. When we left there were two WMTs, in Mt Vernon 15 miles north and Marysville 8 miles south that used to allow RV parking. Both of those have now posted No Overnight signs.

Walmart built a new Supercenter 2 miles from our last home. It is set back from the street, neatly landscaped, and very convenient to everyone in the Arlington area. I hiked through the parking lot on my morning walks for a week and after five days of seeing the same derelict RVs parked in the same spots I took photos to have for the next WMT discussion like this.

If we still lived here I would ask Wal-Mart to prohibit these vagrants from living on our streets and if nothing happened would support a local ordinance to insure that it did. A 24 hour limit would probably work but I don't blame WMT for not wanting to run a meter service.

A couple of newer RVs spent the night here last week and I noticed they parked as far from these permanent residents as possible. When we no longer have the option of stopping at WMT we will have these folks to blame.

It's not Walmart but, We have spent many a night at Home depot and /or Lowe's.
same rules apply, ask first and don't camp, sleep, rest one night only.

I boondock frequently up here in the north east and many of the ski slopes in the off season, allow overnight parking. the usual stuff applies regarding proper behavior, call first, no dumping, etc. we also have a light meal in their restaurant to 'pay back' for their kind services. And the best part is that we get to hike these beautiful mountains!!  Last weekend we did Mt Sunapee. Was a wonderful experience.
-mike

Mike I would imagine that all the leaves have pretty much fallen by now. I'm from Rochester area, and half the leaves are gone and the rest should fall with the upcoming rain and wind storm for tomorrow

Thirty years ago, when I use to take my folks small toyota dolphin motorhome on scuba diving trips down to Santa Cruz, I would simply drive through the neighborhoods at around 10pm at night until I found a quiet dark set of homes and just park curbside, then quietly and using my flashlight, jump into bed and go to sleep. I had my alarm clock set at 5am and with a couple of minutes of waking up I was back on the road. I was very covert, sneaky, and quiet. Nobody ever bothered me and I left nothing behind. 

Lately I have read some articles about the homeless and that some mental health workers are encouraging some people with mental health problems to live in a small rv. I think the problem there is 1) not covert, but simply happy to park in a spot until run off, 2) many of them dump right on the main streets (as reported), 3) and some making drugs in their rvs (as reported). None of this bodes well as cities are encouraged by homeowners and business owners to restrict RVs to respond to those behaviors.

Yet, it seems that being very inconspicuous, getting heads up permission, not treating the spot as a campground, and staying in RVs that are well maintained, don't look that old, and don't look broken helps to avoid some of the attention that shorter, older, and poorly maintained units get that the homeless favored and get attention from the locals and the police.

So, don't look or behave like you need a visit from the police is another thought. I kind of doubt this applies to any member.  :)

Maybe a letter of appreciation to your local Walmart after your stay with receipts of your purchases would be another way to keep the WM management constantly happy letting RVers stay. 

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MtnRV
Back
Top Bottom