What kind of claim to file??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Chet18013 said:
I'd love to know how they finally solved this problem.

Chet, I'm working on finding that out. It was sent to me via a forward from an engineering student at U. of Kentucky - where I went to school. Pictures of bad designs are always floating around engineering colleges - though this is not a case of bad design vs. a load that should never have been pulled there in the first place. My thinking is that the driver or dispatcher was trying to avoid a freeway truss work bridge that he knew he couldn't get through/over.

That thing is gigantic!  I love watching the building move shows on TV - but none of them has been a disaster like this.  Bob, please do be sure to let us know more as you find out.

ArdraF

Oscar Mike said:
This is listed don Snopes and gives an explanation of the occurrence. http://www.snopes.com/photos/accident/housebridge.asp

Great!! Thanks, Oscar Mike.

Didn't think to check Snopes, though I looked pretty close to see if PhotoShop was involved.

With the links and keywords in Snopes a bit more info can be found. Such as it appears there was another set of wood pilings in the center supporting the roadway. Photos showed them to be rotted from the water surface down. The home itself was OK from one article due to the huge steel beams on the trailer supporting it.

Also, when asked, the mover owner said that evening he didn't have a clue at the time how he was going to move the home. He did move a large backhoe in to keep the canal clear just in case the whole thing collapsed. Would imagine they moved the portable cranes in next.

I also searched YouTube hoping to find some video of the move or bridge repair. The only thing I could find was the moving of a similar home - that went a lot better. Here are Part 1 and Part 2. Part 2 has him backing in which is interesting with an 80 foot home vs. my 18' TT - before my MH. The 3rd is the moving of a larger home using two cranes. They just pick those puppies up and set them down someplace else.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wN99OBqUax0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfB8WIL5YT8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KquwpFBKfDg

I'm amazed that any professional house mover would even propose using a route without first driving it to investigate any bridges, overheads, tight turns, etc. Or that they would rely on the municipality to do the route verification for them and reject a permit application.  Somebody screwed up badly, and I'm sure the mover paid dearly for that mistake.

But wouldn't you just love to see the face on the insurance adjuster if the home owner ended up filing a claim?

Molaker has the correct answer. Move the garage doors to the ends and charge the state for installing a covered bridge. With the intelligence level of our politicians today, the mover could make a bundle!

Selah said:
Molaker has the correct answer. Move the garage doors to the ends and charge the state for installing a covered bridge. With the intelligence level of our politicians today, the mover could make a bundle!

Most exellent advise. Then file a lawsuit that the road is too close to your house, and that the noise is bothering you. Get the state to then buy your house at twice market value.

Ken

bucks2 said:
Most exellent advise. Then file a lawsuit that the road is too close to your house, and that the noise is bothering you. Get the state to then buy your house at twice market value.

Ken

The value would naturally go up in that case - as it is now waterfront property. Of course, they  would also have to add flood insurance. It was in Canada, so sale would be to that Province vs. a State.

One article stated they would probably replace the bridge with a culvert vs. another bridge.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kstoybox
Back
Top Bottom