Open Or Closed?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AGENT86

Wondering...my trailer is currently sitting in an rv storage facility, where I towed it after I purchased it about a month ago. It will be another two possibly three weeks, before I'm living in it full-time. I've opened the three roof vents, which have the all-weather caps, so no rain gets in when the vents are open.

It's VERY humid here in Myrtle Beach, SC. I put five DAMP-RID containers throughout the trailer, to help control some of the humidity. Should I store it with the vents open, like I have been, or should I close them up? It seems to me that the humidity is going to get into the trailer whether the vents are open or closed. I figure with the vents open, at least there is some air flow, albeit very little. I just don't want the humidity to damage anything before I get to live in it full-time.

I try to open it up every week or so, for at least an hour, if not several hours, while I tinker around doing this & that.

If you have the vents open, the DampRids are trying to dehumidify the entire state of South Carolina. Leave the vents open or use the Damp Rid, but doing both is probably not effective.

You need air circulation to hold down the mold, so merely having vents open may not be sufficient if mold is a problem. Might need the fans on too, e.g. one blowing in and another blowing out, to move air through the rig.  The vents will, however, help keep the inside temperature down a bit.

Keep the fridge door propped open so air and light can get in there as well. Otherwise mold is highly likely. no matter how well it was cleaned.

All year round I have either a window or a roof vent open keeping the RV aired out. No issues here. I would rather have mother nature take care of it than having to buy chemical de-humidifier or a machine to control the moisture. As long as the air can move through the RV you've got 90% of the problem handled. Like I typically open the front and rear windows till they make contact with the windows covers on the RV. This allows air movement and since there is a cover over the window the rain won't leak in.

Thanks for the replies! I think it'll be fine the way I have it set now...I'll be moving in very soon, anyway. I was out at the trailer yesterday afternoon & opened it up to air out a bit. I was happ to see that the inside temp, even in the high 90* temps outside, was tolerable. The roof is VERY effective at reflecting the suns rays...as I discovered when I got pretty badly sunburned while re-sealing the seams.

I thought I was well protected with my hat & sunglasses, never considered the reflective UV rays from the roof, bouncing off, right into my exposed face! Probably took a few years off my life that afternoon...

Crack open the roof vents, windows, cabinet doors, and closet doors. If you can put a house fan inside and let it run constantly, then that will really help. Do anything you can think of to aid air circulation.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chaderic
Back
Top Bottom