Painting fiberglass/plastic shower enclosure

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mariaburchell

Has anyone used Rust-Oleum tub and tile paint? It is intended for ceramic tubs, I was wondering if it could be used to paint fiberglass.  Need to get rid of the mustard yellow color of my Sportscoach bathroom.  If not does anyone know of a paint that would work well on fiberglass/plastic?

I believe they call that color Parchment which I have also, I think you are going to have a hard time making paint last on shower walls, if you sprayed a 2 part epoxy coating, that would work well with good prep. Anything less than that will not last long or at least look good for long.

Look into boat paint. Pettit Easypoxy or Interlux Brightsides. Ambient temp when painting is critical for the brush strokes to level. You could add a nonskid additive to the floor of enclosure. I use it a lot instead of rustoleum.

Bill

Thank you both for the information, I will do some research on both options and see which route would work best.  The space is small and ventilation is minimal.  This is not the project I want to do, but I need to replace the ceiling throughout, so I might paint while all the vents are out and air can circulate.

if you spray epoxy make sure you have a good respirator, I have sprayed a lot of different coatings and 2 part ones a very dangerous

Deano2002 said:
if you spray epoxy make sure you have a good respirator, I have sprayed a lot of different coatings and 2 part ones a very dangerous

The paints I recommended are 1 part polyurethane, not 2 part epoxies. No isocyanoacrylates, (sp?) which is like super glue, bad stuff. It glues up the air sacks in your lungs, or sumpin like that! The polyurethane paints are similar to clear the polyurethane used on wood floors, not the waterbased ones though.

Bill

driftless shifter said:
The paints I recommended are 1 part polyurethane, not 2 part epoxies. No isocyanoacrylates, (sp?) which is like super glue, bad stuff. It glues up the air sacks in your lungs, or sumpin like that! The polyurethane paints are similar to clear the polyurethane used on wood floors, not the waterbased ones though.

Bill
you are correct about the lungs, that is the reason for protection, but a activated coating is superior by far. There really is no 1 part true epoxy all though it is call such. Spraying gell coat would be good if one has the experience for a shower or tub, super tough.

There are kits for painting shower surrounds. I think Rustoleum makes one. PermaGlaze is another brand of refinishing products for bath & kitchen.  Ask at Lowes or Depot for bath refinishing kits.

Here's an article about painting showers - give tips on prep & technique rather than specific products. Good prep work is crucial. If you prep well, even an alkyd enamel paint will work.
http://www.doityourself.com/stry/6-tips-for-painting-a-shower-surround#.Ue_mw6xcX2Y

Pretty good article but they out to be specific in the mask or resperator statement. A mask is a dust mask not good for paint fumes.

I think I will stick with the polyurethane, it sounds safer.  I will invest on a respirator definitely.  Thanks again  :).

Thorough cleaning and sanding prior to painting. Absolutely no gloss left on surface to be painted, the paint needs tooth to latch onto. This is a good time to read and follow directions for best results. I have painted fiberglass boats with both brands I mentioned above. My boat saw a lot of rafting on one anchor and was moored not trailered on salt water. Touched up knicks seasonally, lightly sanded and one coat every few years, for brilliant gloss. If it can last a few years in that envronment it should last a long time in a shower.

Bill

The key to prep work is to clean all residue off before you sand so you don't drive any impurities into the fiberglass. My choice is either 3M adhesive remover or citrus cleaner followed by denatured alcohol.  Follow this with sanding and then wipe with alcohol again.

Unfortunately, I don?t know about this as well as you, so I preferred to hire a professional company to refresh the shower http://www.aprefinishing.com/

Cleaned and lightly sanded mine........used Krylon Fusion on mine........and that was 6 months ago. Still holding up.

cpaulsen said:
Cleaned and lightly sanded mine........used Krylon Fusion on mine........and that was 6 months ago. Still holding up.
Same here except that it as been about 3 years.  Pulled out the surround and did it in my garage.  Just be careful about scratching the paint when taking a shower. I only use 409 to clean the shower.  No wax in case I need to touch up.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awiltzius
Back
Top Bottom