Newbie -pop-ups with hard sided toilet/shower - are they always high sided ones?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dbfitch

I'm going to buy my first pop-up... I'd like one with the hard-sided shower/toilet, instead of the shower curtain kind of thing.  The only ones I can seem to find are high-sided pop-ups.  Has anyone seen them in the regular sided pop-up?

Thanks!

High-sided?  Not sure what you mean by that. Do you perhaps mean a hybrid trailer, where the central body is full height (the roof doesn't raise/lower) but the ends "pop out" to form sleeping areas? Technically, these are not considered pop-ups, but they are typically light, easy to tow and easy to set up.

Folding pop-ups can't use full solid walls for obvious reasons, but there is a in-between class sometimes called a Hi-Lo (after the original brand). HiLo has gone out of business now, but the Trail Manor brand is similar. It offers solid walls inside and out while retaining the ability to lower the roof for travel.  It probably still uses a shower curtain instead of a glass door, but the walls will be solid.
Here are some photos of a used one that will give you an iodea of what they are like.
http://www.tomjohnsoncamping.com/Page.aspx/diid/7443016/list/InventoryList/pageId/30553/view/Details/2009-Trailmanor-3124KS.aspx

Actually, I guess they are called "high wall" not high side.  You can see the toilet/shower in this picture.  I'm sure that the "walls" around the toilet/shower fold in half.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2014-HW27KS-New-High-Wall-Pop-Up-Camper-Slide-Out-Folding-Travel-Trailer-RV-/181170472142#ht_5237wt_796

that unit is the rockwood by forest river. high wall 27ks, the high walls were the only ones i could find that had the hard sided shower/toilet in a pop up. i just picked my hw 296 up last Wednesday. we left the dealers lot and went camping for 2 days then came home, the shower walls fold in half, there is a video on the forest river website showing a young woman putting up the hw 296 by herself, the hw 296 is the largest pop up in its class. it is the only one i could find with tandem axles.

We had an 89 coleman Plantation that had hard fold up sides that enclosed the toilet and shower area.  It worked very well. I wouldn't want a low sided enclosure, lol.

I see that the Fleetwood Avalon series had folding walls for the bath area as well. This is a "high wall" model, as you described. I stand corrected!

http://www.rvtrader.com/New-and-Used-Fleetwood-Avalon-Pop-Up-Camper-For-Sale-On-RV-Trader/search-results?make=Fleetwood|305435&model=Avalon|764834373&type=Pop+Up+Camper|198071&vrsn=hybrid

I'm not sure what you mean by High Sided either but. I once saw a cartoon panel (Multi panel) where the character commented about what he hated about hotel showers.

First he lathered up his head (Shampoo) and then bent nearly double to get UNDER the head to rinse it off.

Now I;' 6'3" in my shoes, (About 1" thick) and that means if the shower head is at 5 Feet, I have a problem  Thus it's got to have a high side or.. Well.. I won't fit.

Fleetwood has the highlander series with the avalon, niagara, saratoga and arcadia. They are all high wall with hardwall shower/toilet. They layout varies with the different models. Hope this helps.

Stan

What are tandem axels?

papasmurff said:
that unit is the rockwood by forest river. high wall 27ks, the high walls were the only ones i could find that had the hard sided shower/toilet in a pop up. i just picked my hw 296 up last Wednesday. we left the dealers lot and went camping for 2 days then came home, the shower walls fold in half, there is a video on the forest river website showing a young woman putting up the hw 296 by herself, the hw 296 is the largest pop up in its class. it is the only one i could find with tandem axles.

So is that better for driving or better in case one tire goes bad... I'm really a newbie  ;D

Alfa38User said:
Simply, two sets of axles, one behind the other (and 4 wheels).

Tandem, or even triple, axles are needed when the weight of the trailer exceeds the capacity of a single axle.

No, it is usually because of the weight of the trailer requires it. Axles are available in different weight capacities as are tires.

The main advantage is 4 brakes instead of two and better balance/stability. There may be some minor tire scrubbing when turning sharply. It is not advisable to drive on 3 or fewer tires as they will be very overloaded although to get you to a safe stopping place very nearby, you would likely be ok.

Back
Top Bottom