"FIRE" Story

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RVfixer

On my last trailer I had the normal internally attached electric cord with the factory molded 30 amp plug,  I had the trailer 13 years.  We were at a camp site and when I plugged it to shore power I thought the shore power receptacle looked a little old.  I checked the polarity and then plugged in.  The voltage measured inside the trailer was very good and remained good with appliances running.

We camped for a few weeks and one morning I was on the computer and having my coffee and I noticed the lights dim and come back up.  Had I looked at the microwave I would have noticed that the 120 VAC power was gone!  About 30 seconds later there was a banging on our door and someone yelling "You're on fire...your on fire!!"  Needless to say, that got my attention!!!  I opened the door and said to the guy "What is on fire?"  The guy said our electric box (shore power) blew the door open and "FIRE came out."  I said "OK, let me get my shoes on and I'll be out."

Well, the box was open and black with soot.  I picked up a stick and switched the breaker off and carefully pulled the plug out.  Everything was BLACK.  The office was called and a staff guy came down on a golf cart.  He looked at it and said "It's your plug"...I said "It's your receptacle."  He said "we see this all the time, it's YOUR plug!"  I plugged my circuit tester into the ugly black shore power and flicked the breaker on.  Got good lights.  I check it with my volt meter....120 VAC...it was my plug!!  He had a plug and a receptacle with him.  I changed my plug while he changed the receptacle and cleaned things up... and all was well. 

The guy told me that they see this a LOT.  He said on plugs that people drag on the ground and generally do not take care of, they see it after 4 to 5 years or less.  The bottom line is; Pay attention to and take care of your plugs.  Don't drag them on the ground as you pull the cord in....inspect the plug and clean it up once in a while.  Recently we witnessed another plug explosion on a rig next to us.  I had a spare plug and fixed him up. 

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skibumbob
Back
Top Bottom