Anyone ever install a Ready Brute Elite in Jeep Wrangler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kevin1959

I just bought a 2013 Wrangler Sport and I also ordered a new Ready Brute Elite Towbar. I'm wondering if anyone out there has ever installed one. Its a pretty slick looking towbar. I'm hoping someone out there can share install  info with me like ease of install etc... Thanks in advance !!

One of the forum members, Tom (user name Molaker) has his Class A rig and Jeep Wrangler for sale on the forum and it has the Ready Brute tow bar.  He may be able to help with your questions and might chime in when he sees you post.  If not, you might send him a PM.

Dan

Have you purchased a base plate for the Jeep?  Looks like you need a Blue Ox BX1126.  I can't tell you about mounting one on a 2013 Wrangler, but if it mounts like the one did for my 2004, it's fairly simple but does require some drilling.  If you are not up to the task, most any auto shop should be able to do it.  It took me about 2 hours as I recall, but that's laying on my back without a lift.  Here's a link to the instructions.

Next you must run the brake cables - 1 for the main brake operation and 1 for the emergency breakaway.  The main brake cable is a sleeved cable similar to a bicycle brake cable.  You will have to drill a hole in the firewall directly under the brake pedal.  The cable sleeve is routed (as straight as possible) from there to the front of the Jeep as close to center as possible.  Make sure you avoid moving parts on the Jeep.  The actual cable is then routed through the sleeve.  One end is attached to the brake pedal and the other end has a loop.  A short cable then connects the brake cable to the actuating arm on the tow bar.  It is helpful to install a turnbuckle on the short cable to make adjustment easier.  The other cable (breakaway) also runs from the brake cable to the front, but it does not move during normal use and is not sleeved.  It is connected to the frame of the MH with slack.  A "locking block" (for lack of what else to call it) is attached to the Jeep at the front.  The cable passes through this block.  The block has a locking mechanism that allows the cable to be pulled out, but will lock and not allow the cable to retract.  This cable applies the brakes to the towed vehicle if it comes loose from the motor home.

You will have to wire some kind of tail/brake/turn light connection between the MH and the Jeep.  We can work on that after you get the baseplate and brake cables installed.  I used the kind that mounts a separate 1157 bulb inside the existing Jeep tailight assembly.  Other methods are to use separate magnetically attached lights or to tie into the Jeep's wiring (requires blocking diodes).

Some of this may sound complicated, but full installation instructions comes with the package and is pretty good.  But, if you are unable to do it, most any decent mechanic should be able to.

Thanks Tom. I did in fact order the BX1126 base plate. Pretty sure I'll be able to do the baseplate install, but I'm alittle weary about drilling through my new jeeps firewall to install cable assembly. I guess I just need to do it. I have been laooking at the install instructions and they are quite clear. Anyway, items should be arriving at the house later in the week. I purchased a set of lights that will plug directly into the MH so I will not need to cut into jeeps wiring at all. I'll keep you posted. Thanks !!

Did you order the magnetically attached lights of the light kit that installs inside the existing light assemblies?  Again, I don't know about your 2013 Jeep, ut my 2004 lights have an aluminum plate inside that separates the tail light from the backup light.  With the kit I got, I was able to drill a hole in that aluminum plate and mount the 1157 socket on it.  Maybe yours will be that simple, too.  As for running the wires from the front to the rear, it was easy to follow alongside the Jeep's wiring just under the bottom of the driver's door under the edge of the carpet, right on back to the tail lights.

Tom, the lights I ordered were from etrailer. They are the type that just attach to the back of the jeep ( I'm hoping just place flap between rear window and tailgate section, then just run cable up to rear of MH and plug in))

Hi Kevin,
Looking at ordering a Ready Brute Elite tow bar as you did.  Wondering how it has worked for you?  I have a 2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited and towing with a Coachman Concord 300DS

Before you drill the firewall, look around and see if there isn't already a hole provided. There was on my 2012.

Ernie

I have used mine for about 10 years, and it has been flawless. Getting through the firewall was a little spooky at first, but it was no big deal. Take your time and make sure that both sides are clear, then have at it.

This is great information. I'm preparing to install the exact same set up (Blue Ox base plate, Ready Brute Elite tow bar) on my 2017 Wrangler to tow behind 2005 Sightseer 29R. Thanks!

PS: I found RVupgrades had the best pricing.

Installed the base plate and tow bar to my 2017 Wrangler and 2005 Winnebago Sightseer 29R. Is it okay that the tow bar attaches to the RV higher than it attaches to the Jeep?

Attachments

• IMG_1347 Resixed.jpg
    IMG_1347 Resixed.jpg
    242.8 KB · Views: 14
It should be no more than 2" higher or lower.

http://www.readybrake.com/uploads/3/9/4/0/39400577/ready_brute_tow_bar_9025.pdf

Page three, top left corner.

Kevin:

Was wondering how your installation was going? I installed the same base plate you are using  and it went pretty well. Since I was working alone I used a floor jack to hold up one end while getting it into position. Used a rubber mallet to tap in into position. When I drilled through the frame I did two pilot holes before the final hole. Started with a small bit, then a medium size. Installed the conduit for the ReadyBrake yesterday. Drilling through the fire wall was no problem. I used a T-square and small level to make sure I was drilling directly behind where the cable attaches to the brake pedal. I drilled right through the carpet. I ran the conduit for the cable on the inside of the plastic wheel well across the top part of the shock then around and down behind the front bumper. I'm still trying to figure out where to attach the conduit at the front. Had to order a 4" drop adaptor so waiting til I get the tow bar level to figure it out. Check out this video if you haven't seen it yet. I like where the brake cable comes out.

Rick

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-5uFCjKeJk&t=220s

Back
Top Bottom