tile in my bathroom

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Deano2002

One of the worst things about my 1990 MH is the floor in the bathroom, the wheel well extends into the room and ends 10" out from the front of the vanity cabinet, it stops about 8" from the toilet platform so when I stand to empty the crankcase, my left foot is on the floor and my right foot is on the little platform they made to even things out from the wheel well over. It is very uncomfortable to stand and use the toilet and also standing to use the sink puts you too far away unless you step up, then the sink is way too low. I am near to cutting back the well 6" or so but then I might have to raise the MH around 2" or so and probably would get it back to original height. Has anyone had a similar problem? 

wow- what a design flaw.
here is a thought- instead of cutting your wheel and trying to raise the coach- build a platform the same height as the wheel intrusion. You will need a toilet extension- rather inexpensive. Use a piece of sheet vinyl to  cover the floor.

Ernie Ekberg said:
wow- what a design flaw.
here is a thought- instead of cutting your wheel and trying to raise the coach- build a platform the same height as the wheel intrusion. You will need a toilet extension- rather inexpensive. Use a piece of sheet vinyl to  cover the floor.
I thought about that but then you would have to step up into the bathroom and the vanity would be too low. There was another platform that was on top of that wheel well and ran to the left to the the toilet platform. I think I would rather leave it like you see, at least I can somewhat get my foot in that area to stand in front of the toilet. The only other thing to do would be to raise the coach up three inches but that could be costly

I've decided to lay ceramic tile in the BR, any special instructions for this? Is this ant different than doing residential?

Here's a product idea.  http://www.flextile.com/    Or go to Lowes, Home Depot and purchase these types of products. 

I've decided to lay ceramic tile in the BR, any special instructions for this? Is this ant different than doing residential?

Yes, it's different.  A house isn't rocking and rolling down a highway at 60 mph!  Ours had an extra layer of plywood to keep the grout and tiles from cracking.  Also, I recommend extra narrow grout.  Ours was supposed to be minimal but the installer put in normal width.  Narrow is much less likely to show dirt and stains.  Finally, make sure you cover the grout with a really good quality sealer to repel stains.  I've had all kinds of things clean up because it didn't have a chance to soak in because of the good sealant.

ArdraF

well, i ripped out the carpet, toilet platform and the vanity. The bottom of the vanity I found that the MDF face frame was rotting and swelled, so now I will just build a new cabinet. For the new toilet platform I cut 2" off the front so I can stand in front of it with both feet instead of one foot on the old platform that was on top of the wheel well over to the toilet. I screwed down some duraboard and started laying tile tonight with ultra flex motor.

also decided to replace the old galaxy toilet with a Dometic 310 after i just repaired the seal on the gate, oh well it's a nice toilet with the porcelain

I finished up the bathroom vanity today minus the doors/drawer fronts. I was going to use the old counter top and later down the road change it out, but decided to to re laminate over the existing laminate. I have made cabinets and tops for over 30 years but never laminated over existing, have any of you preformed this with lasting results?  On a side note, when I made the dinette table I used 3M adhesive in the aerosol cans but now it is letting loose on the edge banding of the table, I don't have my pressure pots set up any more with glue so I thought that would be the better way to go rather than rolling or brushing adhesive on but now I'm not sure. If i find the right bargain on a newer MH this will make someone a nice older one and not so much work. ;D

I used 1/2" oak veneer plywood from Menards and found out the veneer was paper thin, literally. I can not see with my eye looking at the edge of the ply how thick it is, just terrible how thin it is. You could never use a belt sander on it with out going through, even the orbital palm sander was showing signs of going through. Just a heads up for anyones project requiring plywood. Maybe Lowes or HD have better quality

Back
Top Bottom