Waving.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

canuckrv

OK so we have only had our motor home since the spring and have only taken 2 trips so yes we are newbies. When I drive the Motor home I have been giving a friendly wave to other RV as we pass, sorta like the bikers do, for the most part I get nothing in return and my wife and I have noticed most of the other drivers look really grumpy. I can only recall one other driver giving a friendly return wave.
So your mission if you care to accept it is to start giving a friendly wave to other RVers lets start a movement.

Years ago I remember the majority of RV'ers waving, just like bikers, but as the years pass the waving was reduced to a few. I wonder if maybe the higher congestion of vehicles is part of the reason. For the most part I do wave and receive nothing in return but I assume that the non responding driver is busy trying to keep focused on the road or just has not had his/her morning coffee. This is my story and I'm sticking too it!!! ;D

I to wave sometimes, but as of lately when approaching another RV, if you are in a congested area, you will be engaged in keeping your vehicle safe. I presume the other driver will be also.

If you are on the open road, about the same thing happens. I have had others wave back, but just a few. I have found that if you blink you headlights first, most likely you will get some response. Not always just sometimes. It is a demanding job on some roads to keep that sucker headed in the right direction. A flick of the lights will get most peoples attention.

Keep waving it might just start a trend.

Jerry

You would get a wave from me, I don't get in such a big hurry that I can't be friendly.

I've been doing this ever since I first got an RV but, as above, only occasionally get a return wave. But in addition to the other reasons above,  you might note that it is also often difficult to see the other drivers until you're practically on top of them, especially in class A rigs, depending on lighting conditions, reflections, distance away, etc.

I kind of think that waving is mostly a newbie thing.  Part of the excitement of joining the RVing life. After you've been driving one of these beasts for a dozen or so years and/or spend several months a year on the road, the excitement ratchets down a bit. Maybe that means we got a bit stale, but it's just human nature.

That said, I would happily wave back to anyone who waved to me, if I saw it and if I was willing to take my attention away from the road for a moment. But often, I do not or cannot. And when I do have the opportunity for more than a fleeting glance, it often seems I cannot actually see the driver through the windshield.Sometimes my wife sees the gesture and waves back, which actually makes more sense than the driver doing it.

I am not a newby and I still wave (well I used to when I was on the road). I found out that on a two lane road that the other person waves most of the time. On a four lane road then usually he is in the far right land and so am I so we are both separated by an additional 20 feet so I don't get as many return waves since the other person is not very likely to see my wave. On a freeway with a divider I don't bother to wave because the other person won't see me. So in my opinion if the other person can see your wave he will generally return it.

... friendly wave to other RV as we pass

Just curious, do you also wave to the driver of the big rig you're "drafting" when s/he sees you in the mirror? Does s/he wave back?

I wave, seems the small gesture links you with others with the same mind set!  I waved back when I was pulling a 5er and now that I have a class A I would dance if I could! I'm just happy to be here!

I wave and I've been doing this for over 10 years, so it's not a "newbie" thing for me. 

And Tom, no I don't wave at the big rigs.  Do you?  But I have noticed when they pass me and see that I'm driving they often wave at me as they are alongside.  Maybe because it's a woman driver.

I think now adays  we all need to be a little friendlier, more caring.  So I'll continue to wave.  Just my 2 cents.

Marsha~

Well, I've been driving a truck for 32 years, and back when I started, on a two land road almost everybody waved at each other, now, not so much.  But on the bike almost everyone waves now, the MH almost 50%, and those mostly on rural two lane roads.  On all three, not so much on divided highways.

Tom said:
Just curious, do you also wave to the driver of the big rig you're "drafting" when s/he sees you in the mirror? Does s/he wave back?

We quite often get a wave from the trucks and I, not the driver wave back.  Often in the truck stops, a driver will comment on the driver's skill which is my wife.  They seem to respect a woman driver that does well.  I take it as a compliment to Jerry Ray as he was her instructor and I often mentioned the most recent comments to him when we saw him a QZ.  Really missing him.

To wave or not to wave.  That is the question.  As has been mentioned, much depends on the situation and location.  I sure don't wave (either initiated or responding) if I'm in a congested area.  Likewise, if I'm on a tricky road like a narrow or curvy road or road work area.  If I'm on an easy ride state or county road, I might respond if I see your wave.  Not waving doesn't mean I'm not friendly.  However, if you really really want "waves", ride a Harley or drive a Jeep.  Otherwise, wave at me and if I see you and can, I'll wave back.  Just keep in mind by the time I see your wave and it registers and I react, we may well be passed each other and you won't see my response (beit a positive or negative :eek: response).

We spent last winter touring Texas. Leaving Garner State Park in hill country heading toward San Antonio then Amarillo. Running the 2 lane as much as possible in the plains. I could not believe the number of local folks in their pickups that waved at us. I always waved back and looked behind to make sure they were waving at us. :) I always wave back at Rv'ers that wave, but rarely instigate it.

Years ago I lived in a small town way up North. Most everyone knew each other and the cars/trucks they drove.

Very little waving going on; the alternative would invariably be a single finger salute...the index finger... with hand on the steering wheel.  An honorable and friendly salute every time.

Reminds me of the late 60s early 70s....I had a 58 Vette.  Back then all the vette owners waved to each other.  Not so much anymore.  The same with bikes....I've rode Harleys since the early 70s and if one were on the side of the road you automatically stopped to give assistance....that's gone.

Having said that, I will still wave if I catch eye contact with somebody however, I don't go out of my way to wave or get somebody's attention.  And I do stop to render aid if I see an RV of any kind on the side of the road.  Since I commute both I-5 and US 50 in Sacramento it's happened more than a couple times that I stop and help change a tire or offer my hydraulic jack or compressor or whatever is needed.  Just payin it forward....cuz we all know my time will come. ;)

But did you know....BMW cycle riders will ONLY wave to another BMW that is the exact same model??? ::)  Noob Harley riders wave to everyone and "old school" wave to no one.

sorry...little off topic

I get a lot of waves or thumbs up from people that pass me.  Mostly it is the Veterans that wave because of the Huey Helicopter on the drop down door of the Stacker.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom