Waving.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
catblaster said:
But did you know....BMW cycle riders will ONLY wave to another BMW that is the exact same model??? ::)  Noob Harley riders wave to everyone and "old school" wave to no one.

sorry...little off topic

I think not. I wave to everybody on two wheels motorcycles or scooters (while riding my BMW) - Except Harley riders. Had way too much attitude from those guys.

Having been riding daily for thirty-five years, I guess I'm old-school.

As I drive my scooter around if I wave at someone on a real motorcycle they look at me like I am stupid.

I remember once I was filling up in a gas station and some guy on a big bike says to me "If I drove that thing none of my friends would talk to me." I replied "If I had a friend who wouldn't talk to me because I was riding a scooter he would not be my friend at all."

I'm very friendly and love to walk through the campground and talk to other campers.  If they are not busy and act like they like to talk I will spend a little time getting to know them.  I never look at other drivers let on wave.

SeilerBird said:
As I drive my scooter around if I wave at someone on a real motorcycle they look at me like I am stupid.

I remember once I was filling up in a gas station and some guy on a big bike says to me "If I drove that thing none of my friends would talk to me." I replied "If I had a friend who wouldn't talk to me because I was riding a scooter he would not be my friend at all."

Attitudes like that just shows what a fake the person is.

This whole waving/not waving at certain marques and types is something I've only come across in the US.
I think that it's because motorcycles are simply not taken seriously here. If you're on two wheels, you're "playing"' rather than it simply being your choice of transport.

Talking of scooters, Tom: I choose to ride a scooter often because I love the frugality, and I find them a lot of fun (I also am the author of a blog/instructional site on scooter safety).
Anyway, last year, I was out riding here on the North Georgia mountains, and pulled into a parking lot at the top of a mountain. This road is famous for its heavy twists and turns.

As I pulled in, there were about ten guys with stretched Hayabusas sitting there (1,300cc super bikes). They made a great show of pointing and laughing at me and my pretty little 250cc Vespa. No concept that I left at home what they may term a "real bike", have been riding for thirty-five years, but actually choose to ride a scooter.

I took it all good naturedly, and just parked up, sitting on the scooter, and waited for them to head back down the mountain. In fact, while I was waiting, I got out my phone, took a picture, and told my friends on Facebook what I was about to do.
Within a few minutes, all the amused "real bikers" roared into life, and started their showy descent down the mountain. I waited until all had left, then headed off after them. There is only the one road down.

It was very satisfying to be able to wait for them at the bottom of the mountain, as all ten finally got there and, one by one, had to pass me - parked up and smiling - on my silly little scooter. :)

This thread is interesting.  I had not RV'd since 1997 until 2010 and I've been surprised at the lack of waving now vs. then.  I stopped after a few tries.  Somehow seems "uncool" now.  After reading this thread, I'll pick it up again!

Gordon

We always look for (and admire) other RVs as we travel. DW usually counts how many we see and we compare the number to other trips - it's amazing how different a weekend count can be from a weekday. If I'm admiring another RV and notice the driver looking my way, I will wave. If I have the window down and see a bike, I'll also occasionally give the downward angle arm wave just to see their reaction!

I guess flashing your high beams  to let the 5th w, trailer, MH,  to re enter the granny lane is out.

Or flashing running lights or directional to thank the few who do.

Tin man said:
I guess flashing your high beams  to let the 5th w, trailer, MH,  to re enter the granny lane is out.

Or flashing running lights or directional to thank the few who do.

Nope not out, we do it all the time.  Most truckers will acknowledge, few RVs do.

I always flash a passing truck, moho, 5er, or trailer.  Most truckers respond.  Most others do not.  Don't care, I've done my part.

Feel the same way about waving.  I wave to all RVers.  Almost never know if they wave back because I am concentrating on the road or can't see through the reflections on their windshields.  Again, don't much care, I've done my part and if it possibly makes someone happy, that's good enough for me....

Don

I wave at anything that looks like a camper! I drive and Class A but it is only 9 feet high at the top of the A/C unit so some people see it as a big van. I sometimes get waves and sometimes not. I also drive a classic mini (The one's built before BMW) I stopped waving at the BMW mini as most of those folks don't see a connection to my car in anyway.
I flash truckers to let them know then can pull back in but have noticed that a lot are not looking in the right hand mirror anyway.

So keep waving and if I see you I will wave back.

You know who I wave to?  It's those guys and gals who are standing with Stop/Slow signs in construction zones.  They have to have one of the most boring jobs in the world and I think they appreciate that we appreciate what they do to keep us safe.

ArdraF

We wave at all campers whether it is a MH, 5er, truck camper, or TT. We love looking at them as they go by. We feel like we're in a club, of sorts, with like-minded people. We just love everything about it.

Flash head lights to anything with a trailer, RV, or full size rigs... Absolutely.
Blink tail lights as a "Thank You"...Always.
Wave to other RV's...If I see them and can afford to divert my attention.

Wave to the driver of the rig I'm drafting off...I don't draft like that and expect I would receive the fickle finger of fate wave Ned indicated above if I did.

Speaking of drafting, has anyone ever had a rig draft off them?

I can't say I wave to often, I'm busy driving and paying attention so I don't run over, hit, or have someone hit me.

I do signal semis or motorhomes so they can get in, some thank you some don't.  It worries me though
when I see others messing with their phones when driving, to distracting.

I don't drive our big old monster or it is to me often as I like so its a bit before I get in my comfort
zone each time I take her out.  After about a day or 2 I'm fine.  But I still really pay attention, I don't want to have an accident.  But I love driving the old girl, she is a joy to drive.

Can't wait to get her new shoes and a couple things fixed so we can take off a few days somewhere again.

I have been driving a class A for the past 18 years. When I first started driving the MH almost everyone driving motorhomes would wave. People driving pickups pulling campers or 5th Wheeler's never waved. Now almost no one waves. When I was growing up in the country everyone would wave. Waving is part my culture and I miss the "wave".

I don't want campers and 5th Wheeler's to be mad at me. Maybe they just waved at other campers. I have had only had 1 - 2 campers ever wave. Maybe I "looked" unfriendly. Soon I stopped waving at campers and in the last 5 years I wave at very few motorhomes. I will be back on the road next week and will be waving.

Frank

I will usually wave at all campers when on the road. Wave at all nearby boats when on the water.  Actually, last Sunday we were in the RV and I waved at a PU towing a boat!

Maybe I am getting too old and set in my ways.

;)

Cheers

The second time I took my RV out I was waved at by another RV driver, made my day, made me feel happy to be a part of such a friendly community.  If at all possible I will always wave from now on!

Cheryl

Back
Top Bottom