ANTS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

colleenfl

Hey everyone
I just heard something I thought was interesting and wanted to find out more info on this subject.
My husband was just told that at some campgrounds ants are a real problem and they get inside your MH and all you can do is kill them constantly so carry some ant killer. Has anyone ever had this kind of problems?

Thanks
ColleenFL

We keep a few ant traps in the basment and kitchen all the time and have had no serious problems.

I had a problem with ants the real tiny ones. I have heard them called piss ants. Tried a ant hotel. I know that did not kill them if anything it gave them a place to make more. I finally went to Lowe's and talked to a lady who gave some good advise on traps. I found a nest about ten feet away from the HM and then sprayed it. Put the traps in and have had no ants in two months

Sounds like it is not much of a problem. I have never had any problems with ants before of course we are newbies. I am just trying to be all prepared for our trip out west next summer. Maybe I will spray around all of the wheels when we park at campgrounds with no pads, and that should take care of any ant problem. The people that mentioned to my husband made it sound like ants are a real problem.

Colleen

We ran into a severe Ant colony at the Beaumont, Tx Fairgrounds last year.  Tried everything imaginable.  Finally one lady told us to put oatmeal around the area.  I laughed crazily.  Guess  what  It worked.  God only knows some of these crazy things.    by the time we left Texas  No ants.  None since,  I sprinkled a sash here and there while the MH is stored.  Go ahead and Laugh

colleenfl said:
Hey everyone
I just heard something I thought was interesting and wanted to find out more info on this subject.
My husband was just told that at some campgrounds ants are a real problem and they get inside your MH and all you can do is kill them constantly so carry some ant killer. Has anyone ever had this kind of problems?

Thanks
ColleenFL

Sure, lots of ants in FL, especially the sugar ants. A non-toxic method is to sprinkle DE (diatomaceous earth sp?), the same stuff used in swimming pool filters, around all the RV parts that touch the ground. Seems this stuff cuts the little buggers and kills them. There is also a form of DE that is specifically made for insect control...check with your bugman. We've used DE and it works like a charm.

Isn't DE what you put in your pool filter system?

I was told the ant problem is more out west then in FL.

Thanks
Colleen

;D When we first bought our Newmar in Florida last November. It was packed full with Ants. Sandy scattered some Salt around. No more Ants.  :D

So you want to know about ants?

Three years ago we took our trailer down to Las Vagas in Augustand were staying in one of the better RV parks just off the strip It was 115 degrees the evening we arrived. Spent a couple of hours looking around with the kids ( 2 girls , 16 and 14 at that time) and then went back to the trailer to sleep.

About 1AM the girls wake us up that there is a ant in the trailer and they need me to kill it. With the appropriate amount of grumbling, I get up and smash it with my finger. I had just gone back to sleep when they get me up to kill another. Took care of it, this time my wife decides to sit up awhile with the kids. Shortly thereafter, she wakes me up that there are ants coming in around the main door and we need to check it out. Now it's about 2AM, so my wife and I go outside to check on the trailer, she's wearing shorts and a teashirt and I'm just wearing shorts.

It's covered almost black with ants, they were crawling up the water hose and then on up to the top to get the water coming off the air conditioner. About that time we hear the trailer door slam, it's the girls checking out what we were doing.

Unless you unlock it, my trailer door will lock behind you when you leave. Here we all are standing outside my trailer covered in ants, in Las Vagas at 2AM and it's still 100 degrees and we ARE LOCKED OUT. The two dogs inside the trailer are being no help at all.

We walked around to the main office, of course everything is locked up, but a security guard passed by and let us in to make a phone call. Well he let my wife in, I couldn't go in because I wasn't wearing a shirt. Nice to know they enforce dress codes at 2AM in Vagas.

My wife called AAA, we of course didn't have our card on us but evidently getting locked out of your trailer when you are undressed is fairly common in that area.

Two hours later, a lock-smith get in. The walls are covered in ants.

That's when we found out that in a pinch, Windex makes a good ant killer; doesn't have any staying power but it kills what it hits. Second, if you take Clorox and spread it around your tire and jacks, the ants won't cross it. and third; keep your hose off the ground.

I went to sleep for two hours, we packed up and went north to Reno. Took two days to get rid of all the ants, my wife and kids refused to stay in the trailer and I had to get them a hotel room. So it was just me and the dogs for two days in Reno. There was a silver lining afterall.

Had fire ants ( the ones that bite) in Western, AZ. Poured boiling water down the hills, tried poisons, finally moved. Nothing off the counter would eliminate them and the campground didn't care ( Davis Camp).

woodartist said:
Had fire ants ( the ones that bite) in Western, AZ. Poured boiling water down the hills, tried poisons, finally moved. Nothing off the counter would eliminate them and the campground didn't care ( Davis Camp).

If you ever run into fire ants again, get yourself some Amdro fire ant bait. I comes in a 1 lb. white plastic container with a black label with red band and white writing. It is a granule. Sprinkle a little around the opening of the mound and they will carry it into the nest and it will kill the queen. Active ingredient is Hydramethylnon. I've never had it fail to kill a mound. I've bought it at Ace Hardwares and Home Depots.

Cabbie said:
So you want to know about ants? Took two days to get rid of all the ants, my wife and kids refused to stay in the trailer and I had to get them a hotel room. So it was just me and the dogs for two days in Reno. There was a silver lining afterall.

Cabbie,

Thank you for sharing .  Your story made my evening!  I used to live in a condo that must have been built on an ant hill.  They even came out of the electrical sockets.  I learned not to become freaked by them.  So if it's only a few Ijust brush them away.  Just gotta love Windex.

Betty

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom