house batteries/shore power

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cowboyzz

Hello I have a 1994 Winnebago Adventurer. I am having a problem with power from coach batteries. Batteries are fully charged, terminals are clean, all fuses on converter are good but I have no power in coach. I get no display when checking any levels battery, lpg, water , nothing. Generator won't do anything when start button is pressed. Please help

Does "coach batteries" = "house batteries"?  I'm surprised that your generator doesn't start from the chassis (engine start) batteries, but I'm not familiar with your 94 Adventurer's power system.

Lack of any indication at all suggests either an open fuse or circuit breaker, or a bad chassis ground on the battery negative terminal.

It sounds like your coach battery disconnect is off. You should have a switch in the stairwell and one on the dash.

I don't see one in stairwell. On dash I push the aux battery switch and nothing. Is there a fuse or something somwhere for the aux switch that may have blown?

It sounds like your house battery disconnect is activated, as John suggested.  There should be a switch near the entry door.

My Bounder is wired such that the generator starts from the coach/house batteries.  I think this is fairly common. 

I had the same problem from a blown fuse in the DC fuse panel.  It was a 15 amp one.  Replaced it and everything worked normal after that.

Look all around the entryway. Are there any doors? How about over the door?

Ok I don't know how to go back to my previous post. So no power from house batteries. I plug into my house everything works. I unplug and nothing works. I've looked for switch by door and found nothing. I checked fuses and breakers at converter and everything appears ok. Nothing from generator not even a click. Cleaned all battery terminals.. It is a 1994 winnebago adventurer. Please I need some help.

I'm wondering if the house batteries are connected wrong. I have 2 house batteries can anyone explain how they should be connected?

Here's a link to a thread on IRV2 that talks about the same problem.  It may not be of much help if you don't even know where your battery disconnect switch is.

Are they 6volt or 12 volt batteries?
6 volt's are connected in series.
12 volt's are connected in parallel.

If it works when plugged to shore power but otherwise not, you are not getting any power from the house batteries. Could be the batteries themselves, or the wiring to the batteries, or possibly a fuse or circuit breaker in the path to the batteries.

Start at the batteries with a VOM and check for voltage (should be 12+), then work on towards the converter and 12v power distribution panel.

Should be a Battery Disconnect Switch some where, generally by the door but I have seen them in the Dash area.  An open solenoid winding on the Battery Disconnect relay will give the symptoms you describe.

Possibly someone with a similar model can tell you where to find the BD Switch.

cowboyzz said:
When plugged into shore power batteries show full charge on display

That display is simply showing that your converter is working.  That is NOT the battery voltage.  Your batteries are eithe DEAD, Disconnected or you have a blown fuse or tripped CB between the batteries and the distribution panel.  I'm guessing the disconnect is bad since you can't even get voltage to the generator starter.

Back
Top Bottom