It's probably here someplace.....differences between a 2500LD and 2500HD

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rdnkjeeper

I am looking at upgrading my truck now that I upgraded trailers.  I am wondering what is the difference between a LD and HD.  No one I talk to can give me any differences besides 2 less lugs and heavier springs.

Help and Thanks

I already decided to go with a 350, 3500 etc.  Just want to clearifiy this in my mind.

I suspect that HD is merely advertising terms use do describe a package of features and it means what the advertiser wants it to mean.  It is useful to use only that it can point to a different tow rating for the model so described.  All pickups are really light duty trucks, as compared to the medium and heavy duty trucks of mfrs like Peterbuilt and Kenworth.

Carl is correct (as always  ;D  ) to clarify the terms though, HD = Heavy Duty, LD = Light Duty. what you observed is basically the only differences - load-rated wheels and tires, and stiffer leaf springs. Typically the HD models offer the DuraMax Diesel engine, as opposed to the 5.3L gas V8 (or worse). With Chevy, always get a diesel if you plan to tow (unless you can get ahold of the 8.1L 496.. that is a beast too!!). The new DuraMax Diesel coupled with the Allison tranny is a solid drivetrain that will not dissapoint. Personally however, I will always own a Ford for towing.

Chevy makes the 1500 series in standard (LD) and HD versions. All the 2500 and 3500 models are HD only.  Here is a link to an articel that genericly describes the differences between light and heavy duty pick-ups - I think it pretty well pertains the the 1500 HD.  Light vs Heavy duty pick-ups

I believe (but cannot find a an official source to verify) that the 1500HD shares the same sturdier chassis as the 2500HD and 3500HD. It simply has lighter capacity axles, springs and tires than its bigger brothers, commensurate with its lower payload rating. However, it would still be heavier duty/sturdier than the regular 1500 (1500LD). Typical differecnes are outlined in the article linked above.

The 1500HD & 2500HD have the same frame, axles, wheels & tires. The Difference is the front end sheet metal & of course the GVW is more on the 2500 HD.

Thanks for all the information.....what started the questioning, I have a 93 K2500 with 6 lug axles and some kids were trying to tell me that my payload is the same as a 1/2 ton.  Told them it is between a 1/2 ton and true 3/4 ton.  They wouldn't believe me, even when I showed them my owners manual. 

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom