Disappearing Engine Coolant_Resolved

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

afchap

Since my Cummins ISC (2002 engine) was new, I have added coolant to the recovery tank probably twice a year as the level dropped a bit. When it was a couple of years old I found most of the hose clamps were loose, one seeping slightly, and I tightened every clamp I could find. But I continued to add coolant a couple of times a year.

Fast forward almost 10 years and 79k miles ...we are on an Alaska caravan and I began to have to add coolant more frequently. Then I poured the last gallon I had through the engine in apx 600 miles. After every long drive, the recovery tank would be nearly empty. There were no leaks evident, no drips on the ground, oil level and appearance were normal.  In Fairbanks, as I searched the town for more Fleetguard ES Compleat coolant I talked with diesel mechanics. All suspected either the EGR cooler (which I don't believe I have) or the injectors. Along the way I found that all the normal service place would not work on a motorhome. Finally I found and bought three gallon of coolant concentrate, and was directed to one of the two places in Fairbanks that would work on a diesel pusher.  That was Friday ...fortunately we were in town for several days. On Monday we were there bright and early. They got it in the pit bay, and after a couple of hours found that there was an external leak from a "coolant pipe" that goes into the block high on the passenger side front. The young tech had no idea where the other end of the "pipe" went.  He gave me the original grommet/seal, and it appears it was never properly seated ...but it lasted 10 years and 79k miles before it really broke loose. Apparently the leak was still small enough that the coolant was evaporating on the hot block before it got to the bottom to drip on the ground. The part was $7.36, and I was shocked that the labor bill was only $120. And the best part is that the coolant level has stayed constant for the past 400 miles!  http://www.pjrider.com/CoolantGrommet.jpg

Back
Top Bottom