Schumacher Converter/Batteries

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RVer JOE

On recent camping trip while plugged into 50a power pole the following problem occurred. AC worked fine, however DC worked as follows. With no lights or any other DC devices operating Voltage at panel indicates 13.7 volts. After turning on 1 or 2 lights voltage dropped to 12.5 volts. After turning on another light, ( any other light) lights blinked and turned dim. After a few minutes voltage read 8.7 volts. Refridge also beeped indicating Low DC. Checked power at pole and read 120v phase to ground on both feeds. Turned lights off and refridge went back to normal. Went to bed. Woke up and checked batteries, 13v at terminals.
Adding to DC load worsens the issue.
Does it sound like the issue is the converter or the batteries? Any other ideas would be helpful.

RVer JOE said:
.. Adding to DC load worsens the issue.
Does it sound like the issue is the converter or the batteries? Any other ideas would be helpful.
Welcome.

It would be helpful if you included the year, make and specific model of your Winnebago product.  Yes, it could be your converter/charger or your batteries, could be a bad primary 12V circuit breaker, loose battery connection on the battery bank or on the disconnect solenoid.  How old are your house batteries?

It sounds like the converter is working to a point. Fully charged batteries will read 12.6 to 12.8 volts so the 13.7 volt reading shows that the converter has some output. I would start at the batteries and check every connection for tightness and cleanliness. If that does not turn up anything then I would have the batteries tested and test the converter output with an ammeter.

Unit is a 2012 Sightseer. Left DC shutoff switch ON inadvertently overnight a couple months ago. Nothing was turned on but the batteries ( 2) were completely dead the next day. Took 3 days of charging for voltage to go back to normal, 12.7 volts. Camped once since then. Everything went well that trip. I just checked the batteries and they read 12.8v. Turned the Generator on and voltage went to 13.6v. Turned lights on one at a time. When I turned on the 7th light the voltage was 12.6v holding pretty steady. Lights flashed once and voltage went to 13.2 volts for a short time. Then went back to 12.4v.
I'm beginning to think the converter is not the problem.
Next stop will be a battery shop to analyze the batteries.
Thanks for the help.

With either generator running or shore power connected, your converter/charger should be able to handle all your 12v needs with ease. No dimming of lights and no drop in voltage, i.e. voltage stays in the 13.3-13.7 range.

You may have damaged the batteries with that severe discharge, and this can soak up a lot of the converter/charger's output. I would suggest checking the water in the cells, topping up as needed, and charging them for 48 hours. So a specific gravity test on each cell to make sure none are weak. If that is not it, I would begin to suspect the charger is unable to produce its rated output, which is probably in the 45-55 amp range.

Is it possible at the camp grounds , that it could be a problem with the C.G. and not the coach?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom