1999 Dutchmen

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mussdog70

I have a 1999 Dutchmen 801 and was getting ready to sell it.  Trying to be a good person, I was giving it a thorough once over.  I just saw that both ends of the roof have some rotted wood.  I have not been able to find any solid videos or advice on just changing the wood.  Anyone?

Being very much a DIY sort, I would think that replacing the rotted wood shouldn't be an issue as long as the adjoining pieces (new wood to old wool) is structurally sound. That might mean sandwiching pieces of plywood, metal, or whatever and making absolutely sure the leak is repaired.

I would also encourage disclosure of the damage with maybe some photos of the repair as it progressed. Not required, but it seems like a responsible thing to do.

How handy are you with wood working tools?

Very handy.  My concern is the unknown.  I started exploring and removed the screws holding it together thinking it would pop out, but it did not.  I looks like I am going to need to remove the sides to get it out but I am not sure if it is glued or just sitting in the channel.  That's why I was looking for some advice on what to expect.

I'll have to politely bow out and let someone else fill in the unknown blanks.

I'm OK with general repairs, but have never had one opened up so I can't say.

Back
Top Bottom