Driving California 1 from Leggett to Fort Bragg

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ArdraF

The RV Forum has had many questions about driving between Leggett and Fort Bragg on California's highway 1.  We have just driven it both directions in the car and here is what it's like.

First you turn off U.S. 101 at Leggett and you will see the Drive Through Tree entrance road almost immediately on the left.  You may be so busy reading their sign that you miss on the right side a sign that says "Motorhomes and Motorcoaches over 40 feet prohibited."  The reason they are prohibited is a narrow road with numerous sharp curves.  You will be passing over the coastal range to get to the ocean.  Going from Leggett we counted two 10 mph curves, seven 15 mph curves, and seventeen 20 mph curves.  There were so many 25 mph and 30 mph curves that we didn't even attempt to count them.  There also is a four-mile long grade of seven percent in both directions.  Usually a grade has different miles and percentages on each side of the dip, but in this case both directions had identical signs.  There also are some steep drop-offs on the passenger side with no guard rails, although Jerry pointed out the thick trees probably would stop you!  This year there are a couple of construction projects with one-way traffic led by a pilot car.  The waits weren't too bad.  One of the projects is a bridge construction so it will last a while.  I also noticed several places where the asphalt edge was deteriorating and was into the white line on the edge.

Can smaller motorhomes drive on it?  Probably, but be prepared for a really slow ride.  The newer 102-inch width motorhomes will have a more difficult drive than some older 98-inch width vintage motorhomes.  Our GPS estimated time of arrival kept lengthening and we were in a car!  At one point we were behind an older Pace Arrow that was the old width.  He pretty much took up the entire lane with inches to spare on each side.  On the return drive we were behind a large Outlaw garage Class A motorhome.  I hope he was heading to one of the campgrounds on the coast and not to Leggett because he took the entire width of the lane.  Furthermore, on one 20 mph curve he slowed almost to a stop.  The fellow in the oncoming car gave him a lot a room but he barely made it around that curve.  I didn't envy that driver - in fact we commented that he was probably asking himself what he was doing there.  We saw some smaller Class Cs that seemed to be doing okay.

There are some pullouts but few facilities along the way so carry water and snacks.  If you're in a car, there is a small place between Rockport and Westport (going toward Fort Bragg) just beyond a state beach.  You come around a bend and a sign on the right points to a Picnic Area.  It's owned by what I think is a lumber company.  There's parking and a drive around.  Most important, there's a portable toilet at that area.  You can't see it from the road because it's tucked behind a tree and an old piece of equipment.  It had been serviced recently and was a welcome stop.  This drive was only 43 miles but it took about 1.5 hours each way.  You would be lucky to average 30 mph.

It is a beautiful drive with redwood trees in the mountains and eucalyptus trees along the coast.  We had a foggy day so only stopped at one vista point.  There just wasn't much to see except to look down on a beach and some breakers.

ArdraF

We drove it in 1994 in a 23' class c motorhome. Boy, was it exhausting. We saw a motorhome of about 30' length pulled over with the driver slumped over the steering wheel, guess he finally gave out.
It is a beautiful drive, but I don't think I will be able to talk the wife into doing it again.
Indiana Journey

Back
Top Bottom