Tell me about learning to drive your Class A!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

readytorv

Just bought a 35 foot Winnebago.  Good news is it has side view cameras.  I never did learn to drive our previous Class A but I am determined to learn how to drive this one.  For one thing it handles much nicer and doesn't appear to blow all over the road like our old 82 did.  However it is longer.  But really my biggest concern is the width and staying within my lane.  My husband will do most of the driving but I LIKE to drive and often feel I'm a bit more careful than he is especially when it comes to braking in advance of traffic :)  (don't tell him I said this!).  He even admitted today that it's something he needs to work on but I'm not counting on teaching an old dog too many new tricks.  Rather than nag him from the passenger seat I decided I will learn how to drive it.  I watched some You Tube videos about putting a piece of tape on the windshield to line up with the center line of the road so you know exactly where you are in your lane and also another piece of tape to tell you when to turn on windy roads so that your back end isn't coming over the line.  SO.. has anyone used these tricks?  Any other tips?  My everyday car is a GMC Yukon and I'm nervous enough about driving down the freeway when they've got concrete road blocks up during construction. 

Well good for you! My wife, Christi, has driven both our 38' and now our 42' from day one three years ago and thoroughly enjoys it.

Everyone sees the road just a bit differently so visual cues are important. Pilots learn that early in judging the horizon and their landing cues, and the motorhome is just in two dimensions, not three. I have used crayon marks, spots on the mirrors, etc. but the more you do it, the more natural it becomes - practice makes perfect! Pick something that works for you.

Christi always gets the wheel, if she does not already have it, when we park and I am her ramp guide.

For reasons I don't always fathom, people watch her drive in and park effortlessly like she had two heads. "We just don't see a lot of ladies driving something like that!" but there are any number here on the Forum who are quite accomplished. It's a lot safer, in my opinion, to have two thinking drivers up front for the same reason pilots like a copilot.

Like you, Christi enjoys driving and likes the challenge, and that is a big part of the story. Have fun, you'll do great!

Kim

Hi Readytorv,

I love to hear it when another woman says she WANTS to drive the motorhome!  Too many women are intimidated by the size of a motorhome, but they're actually easy to drive.  Even though we had been driving motorhomes for many years, when we got our first 34' diesel pusher we decided to take the RV Driving School course.  We both learned a lot, including some of the tricks you talk about.  If you can't take that one, some of the big RVing rallies have a Ladies Driving seminar for a nominal fee and with hands-on experience.  Take advantage of any seminars like that because you'll learn a lot and it helps you gain confidence.

Of course, the best thing to gain confidence in lieu of formal classes is practice, practice and more practice.  Can you find a big empty parking lot somewhere?  If so, take some brightly colored "cones" and set them up so you can practice driving between them and then backing up.  Drive around in circles so you can learn to feel how hard you can turn, both right and left.  One of the "tricks" I've learned to keep in the middle of your lane is to place your right foot down the middle of the lane which often has a black streak.  If you have a backup camera that also helps you see if the back end is in the middle of the lane.  The other day I was driving the motorhome without the car attached and I realized how much I use the backup camera because the little white car wasn't in the middle of the lane!  ::)  I missed it.  We used white strips initially and they actually do help.  When turning corners - if there are two turn lanes - choose the one on the outside because it gives you a wider swing.  If you're turning on the curb side lane, go far enough forward that the rear end clears things on the sidewalk.  Also, if you tow a car, keep your eye on it during turns to make sure it clears the curb before turning.

When backing make sure you look over the site first and note any obstacles to avoid, not just on the ground but also up in the air like overhanging tree branches.  When backing straight, use your side mirror to focus on some object and keep it in your mirror.  That helps you back straight.  If you need to back into an angled site, drive beyond the site along the same side of the road as the site.  Put the rear drive wheels just past the edge of the site, then start backing and turning sharply at the same time.  Of course, you have to have your eyes on any obstacles like picnic tables.  Sometimes you need to tip the side mirrors down to see everything.  Always try to have a "spotter" behind you to help do what you need to do.  When we get to a campsite I usually drive in, whether it's a pull-through or a back-in site.  Jerry spots and guides me so we're parked where we need to be for reaching utilities, extending the slideouts, leaving enough space for the car, and even getting the rooftop satellite dish in the most advantageous position.

You and your spotter need to use hand signals that help you know whether to swing the rear end left, right or straight.  Hand signals like the airline people use are easy and pretty universal.  Make sure you both know the "Stop" signal and have your foot ready to hit the brake immediately.  It's amazing how many sites have some obstacle such as a tree smack dab in the middle rear of the site.  Another problem is utility posts that are so high you can't extend the slide without hitting it or have it placed in such a way that the bay door can't open.  We had to change sites tonight because when we arrived at the assigned site the utilities were on the wrong side and were too far to reach.  These things make it all an adventure!  Also, I would advise not driving such long days that you arrive at the campground after dark.  It's much easier to find your site and hook up in daylight!

You'll be surprised at quickly you learn to feel what you need to do.  Start with easier drives, such as Sunday morning on a freeway, then work up to more difficult driving.  When we left the factory with that new 34' DP, Jerry wanted to read the manuals so he could learn about our new diesel engine and the transmission so I began driving.  When I got through Indianapolis with cement barriers for construction, surrounded by big trucks, and in a light rain I knew I had survived my trial by fire and could drive anywhere.  Hopefully your first one will be easier!

Perhaps the best advice I can give you is not to let other drivers get you rattled.  Always remember that it's your money that has to pay for repairs caused by doing something stupid.  We all have those little dings we brought on ourselves, but don't let them happen because someone else is impatient and rattles you to the extent you make an expensive mistake.  Don't be like the person who went through a toll booth and wrecked his expensive mirror because he couldn't hold up all those other people while he went outside to bring in his mirror so it wouldn't get damaged.  We do what we need to do to stay safe and protect our investment.  You take control and you'll do just fine!

Good luck and enjoy your new rolling home.  Your husband should like having someone to spell him so he doesn't have to do all the driving.

ArdraF

My wife had a good saying, "If those people behind me want to be ahead of me they should have gotten up earlier". That is not saying you should not let them pass, just don't let them effect your driving. I drove a bread truck two summers the while I was in collage. There was a large sign on the dash, "DO NOT BACK UP WITHOUT A SPOTTER". That is still good advise.

Many people advise to practice driving in a big empty lot. That will teach you how to drive in big empty lots! If you think you must, spend 15 minutes to figure out how many turns it takes to go from straight to lock in each direction and see what the pedals feel like, but then go to a good practice area like I'll describe in a minute.

I taught new firefighters how to drive fire engines and ladder trucks for 11 recruit classes with between 12 and 24 recruits per class. Some had never driven anything larger than a sub-compact car and many had never had to rely on outside mirrors and not a windshield mounted one. For 4 years while I was the assigned tillerman on a tractor trailer ladder truck I taught 2 probationaries each year how to drive the back half of the rig where you swing the back end of the rig the opposite way that the front end is going in a forward turn and then when going backwards you look over your shoulder and turn the wheel backwards of the direction you would normally turn. And yes I also taught them how to drive with the lights and sirens on, when people around you do all kinds of unexpected things.  So maybe some things I used with them would work for you.

You will be driving on real city streets, practice on real city streets. Deserted, empty, middle of the morning streets when kids are in school. Go to a neighborhood where there is little traffic to start, then gradually go to other busier streets. Start by using more than your part of the road if you need to, but make real turns on real streets. Go slowly so you can watch what the back end does (swing out), where the rear wheels travel (curb hopping). Drive on straight sections, stop in what looks like the center of your lane then get out and walk around the rig to see if you're right. Make mental adjustments as needed and do it some more. If traffic comes up behind you, stop in a safe spot and let them go around you.

Make left hand turns, right hand turns. Stop at the stop line, then get out and look to see how close you really are. Put a cone in front or rear of the rig and practice stopping as close as possible to the cone without touching it. Put a cone on the centerline of the cross street and practice turning both left and right without hitting the cone, make believe it is cross traffic stopped at the light.

Find an area to practice backing. Practice backing in a straight line down the curb. Learn to do this with the left wheels on the curb line and then with the right wheels on the curb line. Back slow at first, then learn to pick up speed. When that seems easy, back around a corner. It's nice to have a rounded corner like a traffic circle or a lot of RV parks have, but then graduate to a regular hard 90 degree corner. When backing remember to look where the front of the rig is too. It's nice to have 2 spotters for the backing but it can be done with one. Find a driveway to back into. Practice from both sides, just like real life RV parking spaces wind up being.

Spend the time practicing on several different days. Your subconscious mind will work on the problem areas inbetween sessions. A couple of hours per session is plenty long, this is something you want to do so keep it fun. If your other driver is confident enough in his/her skills have them do the skill first, so you can see it done, then practice until you can do it too. If it just isn't coming to you, stop. Come back to that skill again later. Don't keep doing it until you get frustrated with the whole idea.

Some people are not patient when people are learning these skills. If you happen to be one who is not patient enough, find someone else to help your partner learn. Once the screaming starts the learning stops.

We taught hand signals and ALWAYS put boots on the pavement when backing up. I still do this whenever I have my wife or other rider in my MH. We use headphones for communication so we can talk to each other. Hand signals can be difficult to see in the dark or in inclement weather. There is no universal hand signal for 'will the slide out clear the power panel?' Or, 'I thought there was a branch up on the passenger side, could you double check that we're clearing it?' It just makes sense for our MH travels and it might for you too.

My spotter knows that if she can't see me in the mirror, I can't see her and I will stop until I can. If you ever are in doubt, stop and double check whatever it is. The traffic around you is almost always made up of strangers you'll never see again. If you annoy them for an extra few seconds while you double check your mirrors they'll never be able to tell the story at your birthday party. If you scrape the rig, your partner will......... The traffic you annoy will have to settle for the satisfaction of blowing their horns. I can tune that out when I need to. Turn on the four way flashers and tell your mind that you're a house mover going around the corner and have a right to go slow.

It's a great feeling knowing you can drive the rig if you want to or need to.

Ken

Ken,

What an interesting reply!  Thanks for adding the part about the spotter being out of sight.  I meant to say that and forgot.  We both stop if we can't see our partner and wait until he/she can be seen.  You've really added some valuable information.

ArdraF

One thing I keep in mind when we first got out class-a is that a semi truck and trailer fits within the white lines and I am narrower than that, so if they can fit I can fit.  after a while it will become second nature.

Wow you guys are awesome!!  Thanks so much!  Lots of good tips here that I'll be referring to and will report back.  I'm already a super good parallel parker and my husband is always impressed with that but a class a is a lot bigger beast! And thanks for telling me its ok to take it slow .. that is what I need to hear. I do tend to me more patient and care less if I'm holding someone up but I could get stressed in traffic.. Hmm bridge tolls.  I forgot about those ha ha.. I'll be using the bus lane.

Actually the semi iscthe same width.

One trick I've found useful is to occasionally check the location of the white lines in each wide angle rear view mirror.

Ernie

BLAKDUKE said:
One thing I keep in mind when we first got out class-a is that a semi truck and trailer fits within the white lines and I am narrower than that, so if they can fit I can fit.  after a while it will become second nature.

My DW took a half day course from RV Driving School and I was impressed with how much ground they covered in one class.  Throughout the 4 hours the instructor kept asking my wife questions like, "is [the truck] ahead of you in your lane?"  Since the answer was always "no" it gave her the confidence to pull into the lane next to him.

Readytorv,

You have gotten lots of good information and good tips.  I also drive our big motor home pulling a tow car.  The best advice I can give you is to drive...drive...drive.  You'll be scared to death when you first start out; but you will eventually learn just how wide you are, how long you are and how best to get the job done.

People will always give you their "tricks" and tips on how to drive.  I only have a couple:  put your gas pedal foot right in the center of the lane.  That will keep the rig in the middle.  I also check, double check and triple check before I make any move, whether it's changing lanes, backing up, turning the corner and I make the move slowly.

Have fun!

Marsha~

bucks2 said:
Many people advise to practice driving in a big empty lot. That will teach you how to drive in big empty lots! If you think you must, spend 15 minutes to figure out how many turns it takes to go from straight to lock in each direction and see what the pedals feel like, but then go to a good practice area like I'll describe in a minute.

Informative post, Ken. A lot of good stuff there.

I do disagree with the, "if you must" about big empty lots. Here's a person that has never driven a Class A motor home - and should spend much more than 15 minutes on a big empty lot, IMO. This will allow her to get the feel of the rig, turning radius, how to backup, how close she is to curbs, and so forth. Also, what better place to get the feel of backing up - and learning communication with her spotter. It is better to replace a good deal of that apprehension with a degree of confidence prior to hitting the real streets.

Then -- when she begins to feel comfortable with that, ease out on city streets or whatever and begin going through the same maneuvers in the real driving world.

BTW, I am a solo RVer - and always have been since '96. So there are a lot of "solo driving" rules and tricks for those of us without spotters. Of course, one is, always try to borrow a spotter if I can.

I will start out in the parking lot for sure!  Cones, tape, curbs and then move to our residential streets.  My biggest fear is passing other big vehicles.  I used to white knuckle it when we were inches from a logging truck!  And if I'm the driver I feel like looking over at how close I am to the person on my right means I'm not paying enough attention to what's happening on the left.  That's why I thought the tape would be helpful so I can be assured I'm in my lane.  It seems so common for drivers to casually go over the line while driving and my visibility to be able to see what is happening in that right Lane makes me nervous.  I will check into driving courses.  My cousin drives trucks for a living so going he can help me!

I see many people disagree with my parking lot advice. I can only tell you what worked best for my students. Going slowly on real streets worked well. Learning the turning radius with an experienced instructor next to them helping them thru the first few turns as to when to turn the wheel and how fast to turn, quickly gave them the confidence to do it on their own because they had actually done it on a real street. If you learn in the parking lot first, the anxiety returns when you "do it for real" on the street.

Looking in the left side mirror, right down the side of your rig and keeping the side just inside of the "center line" (lane divider line), or fog line if passing on a two lane road, is a good way to make sure you're in your own lane. Looking at the right side tends to make most people nervous about little wobbles from each vehicle because of the closeness of the vehicles.

I'd also make sure that Marsha's advice to put the gas pedal in the center of the lane is right for your rig. On my rig (43' class A) the diesel ( ;D) pedal is quite a bit left of the center of the rig. I'd be driving right of the fog line if I centered it in the lane. On other rigs it may be just right.

Ken 

Those "tricks" you mentioned work and will help give you confidence to get started. After you drive awhile, you won't need them, though.

The basic problem is the different view of the road from a Class A driver seat. Your brain tries to control your muscles in the familiar way of the family sedan or SUV, but the visual input is different. You keep ending up in the wrong place, so you saw the wheel back and forth to make corrections and start watching the lines on the road and the mirrors instead of looking ahead down the highway. That's can only make the problem worse. Establishing the marks gives you reassurance at a glance and allows you to focus much further down the highway, which in turn tends to make you drive straight & true toward that distance point (the normal effect of parallax in your vision). So basically the "trick" is to stop looking at the road close in and focus further out in front, and the marks on the dash help give the confidence to do that.

Try it - it works!

As for the empty parking lot thing, you can only learn so much that way. I don't know if its 15 or 30 or 60 minutes, but fairly soon you are going to have to get out on the road and actually do it.

You have to enjoy driving the thing or it is not worth it...IMO. What I mean to say, is that I have discovered that driving the wider coach is very stressful to me. After completing a 2,000 mile journey with about 1,500 miles (under 200 mile journeys) in short trips I have become quite proficient in operating my motor home, the problem is, I am not comfortable doing it, so I am not having any fun while we are traveling. Since traveling to each destination is a major part of the overall experience of RVing, we've decided to trade down to a smaller Class B+ or C, on an E450 or Sprinter Chassis.

I was never meant to be a truck driver... :(

Ken,  my coach is a 36' diesel pusher and the fuel pedal in the middle of the road works for me visually.  I can't tell you if the pedal is actually exactly in the middle; but when I look at the white lines on the center and outside of the lane with my rear view camera, I'm pretty well centered in the lane.  I got the tip from an RV driving instruction at a FMCA rally class.

I think the biggest thing is to get familiar with your own rig and how it handles.

Marsha~

A couple of thoughts for what it's worth, that have helped me.  Currently driving a Fleetwood Southwind 35R ... so pretty typical for a gas unit ... probably about 36 feet.

Turns in town ... enter slowly ... drive into the intersection until the curb or edge of road you will be turn onto is off your shoulder ... then crank the wheel over.  Quickly noting the nose will have clearance needed as you are about 30 degrees or so into the turn ... check your mirror to verify clearance of the rear wheels from curb or whatever.  Then back to nose to verify clearance and note the color in the driver's large eyes of the car headed the other way as your nose swings past  :eek: ... couple of looks back and forth with mirror and you're good to go.  Done relatively slowly you have time to check and can stop if things are too tight.

By the way, I find especially in town, relatively slow turns, then accelerating out of the turn keeps things from rearranging themselves in the back!  This is one of those ... "don't ask me how I know things ... "  ;D

While it might be slightly different for you, from my driving position I find that keeping the white line lined up over the a/c vent on the left of the dash will keep me pretty well in the middle of the lane ... as well as the bottom of the center windshield post along the edge or line on the right side of the road.  You can verify with a glance in the mirror what works for you. As someone else mentioned, we are basically the same width of the 18 wheelers, so if they fit so will we.  A quick glance in the mirrors will help you confirm and learn those visual cues.

What you need to establish and will learn over time are the cues to put the motorhome in the lane where you want it ... for there are times such as cone zones where you may have to "drive the left side" and "know" the right side is ok ... strange noises from co-pilots are also good cues!  Or the opposite ... position the right side near the edge of the road, such as meeting that wide load on a 2 lane road.

Can you do this all day 1 ??  Probably not ... but it is skills you can learn ... just take your time.

Most folks starting out especially in a Class A I would think, tend to drive too far to the right ... different sight  picture ... but as Gary said ... biggee ... look well down the road, not up close.

Howard

John I'm sorry to hear that you are not comfortable driving!  I hope that doesn't happen to me.  I do get nervous about it's width but just from the short test drive we did I am in LOVE with the side view cameras.  My husband was making turns and both of us could look at the camera and see what kind of clearance we had in the back and who was in the other lane even in our blind spot.  It might be that I'm still only comfortable driving on big open highway for awhile but I am looking forward to the challenge.  Worst case we've had a Class A before and my husband is fine driving it. 

Back
Top Bottom