rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Fridge Defend
RV Life Magazine RV Park Reviews RV Trip Wizard

Author Topic: re papering ceiling  (Read 6251 times)


  • ---
  • Posts: 410
    • The adventures of Oscar and the Galavan
re papering ceiling
« on: July 27, 2013, 04:44:28 AM »
We had a bit of water damage to our ceiling around one of the vents. I have fixed the problem but the old vinyl wallpaper on the ceiling is rippled is there some place to get this what seems heaver than normal wallpaper? is there a special name for it? it does seem like the original was as wide as the panel about 4ft.
The adventures of Oscar, Frances and the Galavan

Ernie Ekberg

  • ---
  • Posts: 1510
Re: re papering ceiling
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2013, 07:43:52 AM »
I would guess that the manufacturer of your unit purchased paneling that was already covered. and then assembled the ceiling. can you pull that paper down and apply some wall paper paste?
Ernie Ekberg, Weatherford, Tx
Prevost Liberty Classic XL

Gary RV_Wizard

  • Forum Staff
  • ---
  • *
  • Posts: 67630
  • RVer Emeritus
Re: re papering ceiling
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2013, 10:46:47 AM »
As Ernie says, RV manufacturers mostly use pre-finished panels. A vinyl type wallpaper paste might re-attach it is the underlying surface is still ok. Ripples can be tough to flatten out, though, and removing such "paper" can be difficult.

I don't know of a special name for heavier/thicker wall coverings. They are usually labeled by material, e.g. paper, vinyl, fabric, or "grass" cloth. Here are some samples on one web site, but you can find many more with a Google search on "wall covering".

Precovered panels are seldom stocked in stores, but they can probably be ordered. Often expensive, though, in small quantities. The RV manufacturers buy truckloads.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2013, 10:48:34 AM by Gary RV Roamer »
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL


  • ---
  • Posts: 14
Re: re papering ceiling
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2013, 03:46:58 PM »
I can't address your question directly, but I have been wallpapering homes for about 30 years, so here are a few bits of information that you may find helpful as you go about making a plan.

Keep in mind that most of us use the words wallpaper and wallcovering interchangeably.  However, most of what you find in home improvement stores is vinyl wallcovering.  My RV, on the other hand, seems to have a paper that is laminated to a plywood substrate:

The heavier, pre-pasted coverings are sometimes labeled "commercial" wallcovering.

Heavier coverings don't generally come prepasted.  You buy the adhesive separately.

A second layer of wallcovering will generally fail as the dampness from the glue of the second layer can seep under the seams of the first layer causing both layers to loosen and fall off. 

"Border adhesive," also called "vinyl to vinyl" allows exceptions to the above.  It is stronger than regular wallpaper paste.   It is also harder to remove. 

It might be difficult to get any kind of adhesive behind the existing paper.  A syringe might work, but I've never tried that so I can't say for sure.

There is a product called "sizing" that primes a wall and helps wallpaper stick.  Unless you are pulling off and repapering an entire section, it will be impractical for you to use.  And pulling off a section may not work if it is laminated to a panel.

20 1/2" is a common width of residential wallpaper, which is what I generally use.  If memory serves me right, the commerical type was closer to 27".  The paper on my RV seems to be 48, specifically designed for laminating to paneling.  This makes it likely that your replacement product would need to come from an RV manufacturer, and would likely come already laminated to a panel.

Either of the non-paneled ones will be difficult, but not impossible, to apply to a ceiling.  You will need helpers or tools to help you hold it up until the glue gets a good bite.  It is not a job for the faint of heart or weak of arms.  Been there, done that.  Not fun.

For what it's worth, there are only two types of wallcovering that I like to use on ceilings.  One is the kind that looks like tin tiles.  This can be cut into manageable squares and trimmed with molding.  The other is the torn kraft paper method (google: paper bag walls.)  To me, "regular" wallcoverings on a ceiling are more trouble than they are worth.

I really hope someone who has tried the syringe method will chime in.  It would be the easiest repair, if it works.  I wish you the best.

driftless shifter

  • ---
  • Posts: 2411
  • A Luddite with a stupid phone
Re: re papering ceiling
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2013, 10:05:03 PM »
Outside the box.
Check out "backless carpet" and 3M spray adhesive for headliner. The carpet is more like custom autmotive headliner, moldable to contours and such. You can cut it with household scissors. You don't have to redo the whole ceiling, Define the space, kitchen, bath or bed, with a border using molding that closely matches the rest of the cabinetry. Razor knife out the rippely section and spray paint the exposed underlay with rattle can KILZ paint, before putting up the carpet. Let the paint cure a day or so. Carpet hides a lot of mistakes, if you're a plugger like me, you'll know what I mean.8)

Bill & Nan
93 bounder 34, chevy chassis
couple of aircooled vw's, 1 fast(sold), 1 reliable(sold).  Dubless : (
USN '76-'80, 1 boat, USS Blandy, DD 943.
I'm an analog guy in a digital age.


  • ---
  • Posts: 14
Re: re papering ceiling
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2013, 11:57:52 AM »
I know we're straying a little from the original post, but Bill, your solution has the added benefit of being sound-dampening.  I'd like to hear more from you about it.  I'll start a new topic called "carpeting ceiling" out of respect for canuckrv so that this conversation can stay on-topic about paper.


  • ---
  • Posts: 165
Re: re papering ceiling
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2013, 01:29:40 PM »
Margaret Smith
2005 Winnebago Adventurer 37B
1965 GTO, 1966 Mustang Coupe and 2011 Mustang GT
Home race track...Firebird Raceway, Boise, ID