HELP CUMMINS 300 !!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tin man

Just made it into the campground Victor ID Engine surging. Quit in campground. Starts than stops

Waiting for GoodSam.  Any ideas?

Thanks

Jim

mine did that once.....filters were in need of changing.....odd because it started all at once no indication they need changing before she shut down.

There was another time my 300 acted up and wouldn't keep running. It was a ruptured fuel return line...easy to see because diesel fuel leaks out and leaves a puddle on the ground.

I'm putting my money on the filters Tin man

Would it take 40 gallons before it happened? Ran about 40 gal before it started acting up.  When I got into town 25mph it seemed to hesitate like it did not know what gear to go into. When I pulled into to campground it was surging. The bride thought I was doing it. No messages, all gauges look good.  No engine light.

All my fuel has been purchased at pilot or flying J

Jim

It is possible to have a light contamination or a bit of water that could slowly plug the filter.

I hope that a filter is all it is. It my be a PIA but in the grand scheme of things,cheap.

Another possibility is the filter is either not tight and sucking air or the crimp on the filter sucking air.  Although rare I had it happen on our old 3208 CAT.  Pulled into a campground and after shutting it off to register it would not fire back up.  I went to the back checked the prime button and there was no pressure/prime.  Primed it and it fired right up.  By the time we got to our campsite it lost the prime again.

I swapped filters as I carry spares and she ran fine the rest of the trip.  When I got home I pulled the filter out of a ziplock bag and inspected it very closely and after pressurizing slightly I noticed a leaking crimp. 

Mike.

Mechanic came looked and thinks it is a fuel filter. Will be back in morning with new filter.  Fingers crossed...

As soon as he pulled up it started raining at least the hail stopped.....love the WX in Idaho...

It really sounds like fuel filter to me. Get a good night sleep and don't worry yourself. All will  be good.

GET SOME SPARES! and a strap wrench!

Jim,

I will send you some! There is a sign at a church here that says "Whom ever is praying for rain, PLEASE stop!!"

Steve

Capt. Steve

Teddy came this morning pulled the filter and inside was a paper cap plugging it up.  Now for the 64 thousand dollar question.  How did a cap liner get inside a new fuel filter?  He has to go to Idaho Springs to get a filter.

Any ideas?  Going to visit Jackson Hole be back in a few hours.

Jim

Sunny no rain but the day is young.

Paper cap liner??? It defies logic. I guess maybe something left from manufacturing  the filter??

Um,what is a paper cap liner?????

Glad it's an easy one. Don't forget spares.

When you say paper cap liner, are you by any chance talking about the small paper cover that most manufacturers install on fuel additives and such? 

Reason why I ask is because I had found one of those stuck in a fuel pump of a Chevrolet Tahoe that a guy brought to me a few years back.  Had fuel pressure but was way down on flow.  Dropped the tank and found that paper/foil cover had made it past a small hole in the fuel pump strainer and had lodged itself in the fuel pump pickup.

Turned out to be an expensive can of fuel additive. 

This is why I tell people when they are pouring any additives into their fuel tank to not just punch the foil/paper cover in but to remove it so there is no chance of it getting into the tank.

Mike.

Back
Top Bottom