HELP CUMMINS 300 !!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Here is the story, I do use additive, it is in a gallon container. I have to use a funnel to get the additive into the tank.  Went out and checked the container and the cap was intact.  I cut the foil off when I first opened the container, left it at the gas station in the garbage can. 

It was the inside paper of a cap. It was smaller than the cap on my additive.  Because I use a funnel I could not get it down to the tank. Is it possible it got into the tank from a gas station?  And I pumpeditbinto my tank. And if so how did it get passed there filters?

Waiting for Teddy to return, with a filter. 

Spent more money in Jackson hole, and Teton Village than the repair is going to be I can bet on it.

Teddy should be here in about a hour I'll let you know what happens....

Jim

Sometimes I wish someone would steal my credit card, I wold not report it because that person would spend less than the bride and I.

There is no way that disc made it through the fuel lines, pump and whatever else is on the way...  I think...

A real puzzler :-\ :-\ :-\

I'm with Steve.

Just curious, was this the primary fuel filter or the secondary fuel filter? Which filter is he changing?

New filter installed, engine runs good.  The paper cap lid liner was in the filter. He believes it was put in during manufacturing..

He tried to blow out the filter but it was plugged up.  The filter sits in the rear of the engine between the radiator and the rear grill. Now I need to get a spare filter have the wrench at home. 

Live and learn.  If the paper cap was put in the filter during manufacturing then it was a very expensive joke.

Should of kept the filter. Will be talking to my mechanic when I get back home. The filter was not two months old.

Jim

Just curious, how many hours do you have on this engine prior to this mystical paper cap clogging the filter?

Tom

I don't know how many hours, but maybe 10000 miles. I watched him remove the filter and watched the paper come out of the filter.  The new filter had about maybe 40 to 50 hours on it.

Any ideas? 

Jim,

Are you at Teton Valley RV Park? If so, the shrub/tree I posted pictures of are all over that park. I was trying to see if someone knew what it was, as I saw several robins eating the berries. All of the replies said my pictures weren't clear enough. That was after I had been gone for several days.

Try the Brakeman downtown for a great hamburger. The Knotty Pine was our second choice there. Kinda dark inside. Food isn't bad.

Good luck with your filter problem.

Stan

I'll ask tomorrow about the trees. We bought BBQ  from a place downtown next to the food market.  Nice campground. Very friendly. 

Jim

I asked the camp hosts, and they didn't know about the trees. The food market had a great little cafe and deli inside.

We went to Big Hole BBQ to have dinner one night and they were closed for a family wedding or something. Never got back in there.

[quote author=Tin man]I don't know how many hours, but maybe 10000 miles.[/quote]

Sorry, I was thinking of engines in my boat when I said hours. I'm just amazed that it's taken that long for this to show itself.

Seems more likely it came with the filter than with the engine or a fuel station.  The fact that the filter was changed recently also suggests the problem started then.

Understood Gary, but where would the stated object come from when changing a fuel filter?

The only way that could of gotten into the filter was someone put it in there. Malicious or assembly screw up.

Have no idea what your paper cap looks like but just a suggestion. It is very common for a mech to use a thimble like plug to set down in the center hole of the fuel filter. This plugs the center while filling the outside of the filter so no unfiltered fuel gets thru. This allows them to install a full filter so no start problems. If you were distracted and forgot I guess it would still install if you pushed hard (pushing the plug down in past threads) and screwed the filter up on the stem? Never saw this happen so don't know how possible it is but can't think of any other way this would have gotten in there. It certainly didn't come from the tank and I can't see it being malicious either but a mistake is always possible. Always carry a spare filter when it comes to fuel. Good luck.

Maverick

That is the most sensible explanation I have heard yet.  Still will speak to my mechanic when I get home.  Am not a happy camper with the filter.  But in the scheme of things, could of been worse.  At least I made it into the campground. The only thing lost was mony.....

Jim

The saga continues....
Limped into Grizzle RV Park.. Died a few times on the way down replaced another fuel filter fuel was clean no dirt no contaminants. Called Freightliner they said fuel strainer. Will have one tomorrow.  Fingers crossed.  Will not run under 40mph runs fine at 55 + put a strain on engine and it bogs down..

Stan.

Took pictures of those trees nobody in campground knows what they are.  When I get home I'll ask the local nursery......If we make it home.....

Tin man said:
The saga continues....
Limped into Grizzle RV Park.. Died a few times on the way down replaced another fuel filter fuel was clean no dirt no contaminants. Called Freightliner they said fuel strainer. Will have one tomorrow.  Fingers crossed.  Will not run under 40mph runs fine at 55 + put a strain on engine and it bogs down..

Took pictures of those trees nobody in campground knows what they are.  When I get home I'll ask the local nursery......If we make it home.....

If that doesn't fix it, we have a a couple of good shops here in Belgrade, Freightliner and the one I use, Motorcoach maintenance and Truck Repair.

If you can send me pictures I can go to the local nursery and get Jerry to ID the plant.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chewys79
Back
Top Bottom