ABS Slurry Repair is peeling 24 hours after applying? Why

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rleejones

So I have lots of very small cracks in my Coleman Fleetwood roof.  None are bad yet so I thought I would attempt a preventative repair after reading several posts about ABS plastic and MEK.  I purchased white ABS pellets from Ebay and mixed it with MEK to create a slurry.  Because of the sheer number of hairline cracks I decided an attempt at "painting" on the slurry.

24 hours later it is cracking and peeling.  It did not adhere to the ABS roof.  In some cases the hairline cracks were actually enlarged.  Any thoughts as to what I did wrong?

I DID NOT dremmel the cracks, or drill holes at the ends of each crack because of the number of cracks.

Not familiar with your repair procedure so all I can give is "OPPS 101" answers.

1: you got your stuff from E-Bay... I have no clue as to the rep of the sellers. but it's possible you did not get what you thought you were getting.

2: The mix ratio of your slurry

3: Surface prep.

That about covers it.

I did not do any surface prep.  My assumption was that since MEK melts ABS it would adhere to the ABS roof with no surface prep.  Typically I would have cleaned and sanded but with the MEK I thought it would do the trick.  All I did was smear on the ABS/MEK slurry over the cracks.

Now, my question is, why would the ABS/MEK slurry cause a few of the cracks to get even wider.  The ratio of ABS to MEK was about 1:1.  The widening of the cracks baffles me.

Last, I bought Lustran 633-4000 ABS Resin Plastic pellets on Amazon, I mistakenly said Ebay.  Will this work for a good slurry or not?

Are you sure the roof is ABS? It doesn't seem to me a likely choice for a roof material. And even if it is, might it be painted or clear-coated?  MEK will of course soften most any paint coating as well, but that may merely make that coating peel.

I am assuming it is the ABS roof since it is a 2000 Coleman/Fleetwood Sunvalley and the honors manual makes mention of "not" putting a tarp over the roof because of the ABS material.  Since I am a new owner of this Pop Up I do not know if it is clear coated or has paint that was not original.  That is a good question.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kstoybox
Back
Top Bottom