Will campgrounds allow you to hang out your shingle?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marsha13

Several members of my extended want to become full timers, but two are not retirement age yet and have to earn some money on the road.  My sister is a dog groomer and her husband is a small appliance repair technician.  He fixes things like restaurant equipment, RV stoves, propane frig.  Will CG allow her to pass out cards for grooming and him advertise repairs?

Will CG allow her to pass out cards for grooming and him advertise repairs?

The answer is maybe, especially if the business does not interfere with normal campground activities or compete with a campground "favorite" already doing the same kind of work. A larger issue may be the requirement for business licenses, sales tax collection, liability insurance that might be problematic with a mobile lifestyle. We saw a situation a couple years ago where a campground neighbor had a side business without the license, etc. He ended up with a disgruntled customer who, in retaliation, called state and county agencies about the unlicensed business. When we were moving on, the neighbor was telling us he was in huge difficulty over trying to earn a few bucks. Good luck.

Generally, passing out cards, or chatting up (To use the British slang) Canine owners won't get you invited to exit the campground sans refund.  Hanging a sign out may or may not be allowed... one major campground I'm at the official policy is You can't do it. (But many do anyway)

Same for small appliance repair.. Many RVers have the occasonal need...  I usually do at least one TV antenna consult when in South Carolina for example.. Now, my fee is coffee (Since I don't drink the other stuff) but... That's because I'd rather work for free than do all the paperwork... I have had folks give me money but if they do that ... Well, I usually pass it on, that way I don't have to fill out a tax form on it.

Still.. Usually the service I do would cost the owner at least 50 bucks if he called a pro in.  (To 150 depending on where and how much).  I really should charge, but alas, too much paperwork for me if I do.

Where I am currently parked, there is a rule against hanging out a shingle, so the local day night blinds repair couple got a magnetic sign and have it stuck to there car door.
The park manager just looked at it and shruged, said "can't ask them to repaint the car".
Now the couple park thier car crossways in front of the coach so the doors are facing the street.

One of our forum members was asked to remove magnetic signs from his car by BLM rangers at Quartzsite a few years ago.

Tom said:
One of our forum members was asked to remove magnetic signs from his car by BLM rangers at Quartzsite a few years ago.

I wonder what the alternative would be..... Duct Tape or Adios.

Tom said:

That happened to us at QZ at least once.  We just got in the habit of removing them when we got there.

carson said:
  I wonder what the alternative would be..... Duct Tape or Adios.

Yep, tape something over the sign if it was painted on.

Ned said:
Yep, tape something over the sign if it was painted on.

Good thinking, Ned. But, my old 75 VW camper had letters covering the whole side in 4' letters...."FREE LOVE" and flowers .  Just kidding, I was a staid old man then, even older now.

FREE LOVE probably wouldn't be considered commercial advertising :)

Most federal parks have a no sales in park rule, and that even applies to the ice cream vendor. We had a commercial fisherman caught by one of the rangers selling part of his catch in the park, The ranger came to the gate house the second time he observed the infraction of Corps policy and entered a note on his registration that in effect will bar him from the park in the future. I understand that the reason was for continuing to do business after he was informed that it was against the rules.

Lee

Thanks for all the replies.  We just have lots of things to research and figure out before hitting the road. 

Ned said:
That happened to us at QZ at least once.  We just got in the habit of removing them when we got there.

Curious. Isn't there all kinds of swap/selling going on at QZ?? Perhaps there is a commercial area where this is permitted.

The prohibition on advertising is in the Long Term Visitor and 2 week camping areas, all BLM land.  The commercial selling areas are in town.

This was just brought up in the campground I'm currently staying at. Depends on the locality. Permits and such. Most don't want the hassle. Word of mouth, seems to be acceptable.

Word of mouth advertising always good.  Some (as noted) will allow you to hand out cards or hang a sign in the window.  I know one Watkins dealer who set up a showroom tent.. HE was told to take it down.

Rules vary from CG to CG, some will allow you to set up a table and sell crafts, and such or to hang a sign, some say no business in the campground save for the business of the campground.    In many cases I've seen some campers set up a used stuff dealership that made their site look like a junk yard.... Right down to used fenders.... and the management objected and shut down all on-site sales as a result..  That is the biggie,

MOST if you have a printed and laminated sign in the window,, and do not make a big show of it. Do not complain.. Some are more restrictive, some less restrictive.  There are two theories of how to operate.

1: Tis easier to beg forgivness than ask permission
2: Better to ask permission than get booted out.

I think a lot of it has to do with how you go about your business. Most campground managers are pretty darn busy and just wishing for no complaints and happy campers.

Casually handing out business cards to people you meet is pretty common and acceptable. Placing stacks of them around without permission is likely to be frowned upon quickly. I've seen plenty of magnet signs and painted signs. A lot of constructions folks fulltime in campers, so they often have work trucks with their business painted the truck. I've seen folks put up small signs in the windshield of their rig. One guy claimed he did it to write off his RV expenses but wasn't really working (but he seemed real popular!)

A friend of mine asked permission in a friendly campground to have a small rummage sale off the back of his pickup truck in the mornings. He was moving overseas and emptying out a large 5th wheeler. He only put out about ten items (on the end of his truck bed) each morning for about an hour or two. The next morning, a different collection appeared. He sat outside with his coffee and closed up "shop" by 10am. People loved this idea, walkers passed by his truck every morning and he quietly without a big mess or ruckus, emptied out most of his 5th wheel over the course of a few weeks. Even the campground manager kept stopping by to see his latest.

I've seen many artists and crafters, do their work outside, casually scattering their finished products around their campsite hoping for "inquiries" without hanging up a shingle or making a mess. Most cleared up their stuff when they weren't outside working on it.

One enterprising couple had discreet small paper tags hanging off their beer can whirligigs which were attached to their awning. So it looked like art in motion, but the stringed tags suggested they might be for sale if one asked.

I've seen folks prop up an item for sale, and when it sold, out came another one, just like it. Such as the guy that was selling this laundry hanger that hung off the back ladder and allowed you to hang clothing hangers from it to dry things without the hangers being able to blow away or fall off. As soon as he sold one hanging off his ladder, another one magically appeared.

In another campground, a lady paraded her shaggy doggy around, then she set up a table in front of her camper and spent a long time grooming her dog. Another parade around the campground of the groomed doggy and soon it seemed she was busy grooming dogs for free (but accepting tips).

I saw a lady publicly and expertly cut her husband's hair at their campsite. When walking her dog she told folks she was a retired hair dresser. She trimmed up quite a few heads here and there as a "favor" but it seems *ahem* her happy hour cabinet was becoming well stocked in short order.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joe-
Back
Top Bottom