All-4-Fun - 2013 - Holy Cross

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

John Canfield

Site Team
This is another trail that I wanted to do ever since I realized it was a) in Colorado and b) hard rated.

We had another large group but we were split into three groups of about 5-7 rigs. There were some very well set up Jeeps, a Toyota truck, Hemi JKUR (Nemesis company vehicle), and a nice buggy. I was lucky to be right behind the Trail Leader in the first group .

It only took about two and a half hours of trail time to get to Holy Cross City (130 year old mining settlement consisting of two small cabins) which was our lunch stop.

I had zero problems on anything up to the fairly extreme Cleveland Rock - after looking this obstacle over I decided that there was no way I could get up this fairly significant rock ledge/waterfall without winching so I was content watching others try.

Of the five or so that tried Cleveland (that we watched) only a buggy made it up unassisted. The Nemesis company JKUR/hemi did finally crawl it but they did put a winch line out - I'm not sure if she (girl driver) needed the winch to crawl up or not but her spouse was one of the best spotters I've ever observed.

I would rate Holy Cross up to Cleveland Rocks a moderate difficulty level for a well set up 2-door on 35s (37s on a 4-door) with an experienced driver.

Cleveland Rocks is for sure a difficult obstacle - water at the base of it complicates things greatly. If you are willing to get you nose up on a one of the two or three lines, you can winch right up it. Maybe next time in a much smaller group with more time I'll go up it to cross that off my list.

Attachments

• Staged.jpg
    Staged.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 38
  • AirDown.jpg
    AirDown.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 34
  • MinorObstacle.jpg
    MinorObstacle.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 41
  • TrailLeaderStuck.jpg
    TrailLeaderStuck.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 45
  • WinchPoint.jpg
    WinchPoint.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 44
  • FrenchmansCreek.jpg
    FrenchmansCreek.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 34
  • Spotting.jpg
    Spotting.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 36
  • WetTires.jpg
    WetTires.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 40
  • LunchAtHolyCross.jpg
    LunchAtHolyCross.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 36
  • TrailLeaderClevelandRocks.jpg
    TrailLeaderClevelandRocks.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 39
  • ClevlandRocksBuggy.jpg
    ClevlandRocksBuggy.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 42
  • JohnLeading.jpg
    JohnLeading.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 43
Thanks for posting John.  Brings back some old memories from the 80's when we made in our CJ-5.  One of Colorado's great trails.  We drove over Mosquito a couple years ago in our truck but sure can't take it up Holy Cross in the truck!!!!

Hi John, sorry i didn't get to talk to you more. Going up Cleveland isn't as hard as coming down it. We had a few guys in our group on Monday do it in the rain. Then we had to put a strap on them we they went down.

Well I sure hope to meet up with you again sometime.

Safe travels!

Oh - you were in the Monday group?!  :eek:  We heard about you guys.  Tuesday the Trail Boss inspected each one of us in line for Holy Cross to be sure we had working lockers and a working winch based on all of the problems with the Monday bunch  ;D.

We were in fact discussing coming back down Cleveland Rocks with our trail leader - he like the idea of winching down backwards but I talked to a vendor in an LJ that had zero problems driving straight down the middle line.  (But rain changes everything.)

Yes John, the dreaded Monday group. There were Jeeps that should not have been on that run. I think we were spaced out over two miles at one time. I heard a guy say that he was stuck on French Creek and we were headed down from the town already after spending a hour their. Oh well, live and learn. I did hear that they did a good inspection of the rigs for the rest of the week!

I won't say the he abandoned some of the people. Just got real crowded and the real problems started with the last four or five rigs. There were people to help and to spot if needed. But there were a few guys who ignored the spotters help and did there own thing and well you know what happens with that?

Was a long day but still fun.

We will get to meet again forsure!

Hi John,        Looking at your pics of crossing French Creek brought back some memories.  We were crossing the creek in '08 behind the leader (Gray Fox).  Bent the drag link as climbing the last big boulder.  Took the link off and started back down the trail to meet another FMCA Wheeler with a welder and some scrap steel.  Fixed it and re-installed.  Too late to continue.  Great pics.  Thanks

Back
Top Bottom