Newbe to RV, fulltime for work

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bkasky

Hello, I am looking at getting a travel trailer for work. I am currently living in Richmond VA and i have a job coming up in Sweeny TX. Instead of taking my living allowance and renting a house why not let my job by me a camper? So i have never owned a camper and i am very new to it. My wife and I have looked at 15-20 models and i have my eyes set on a travel trailer, Primetime Avenger 33BHS. I will prob be living in this alone for 12-18 months, and once the job is over bring it home and then use it for family vacations for us and our 3 kids, newborn-8 years old. I am just looking for some imput as to if this is a good camper, a good option for full time use, and what do i need to know that the dealer is not telling me.

Im not real clear on all the accesories that i will need for fulltiming either. i know a power cord, water hose, sewer hose, but what else should i need? I will be staying about 1 mile from the gulf shore and they say the temps range from 100-32*.

Any imput would greatly appreceated

Thanks, Brian

The first question is how this trailer gets moved, from dealer to campsite and then back home when the job is over. Since you won't be traveling in between, it's probably best to pay a professional driver to deliver it rather than to equip a vehicle to tow it. You can do that later, unless you already have a suitable truck. And I do mean "suitable" - just  any pick-up won't handle a large trailer.

What you will "need" depends mostly on your lifestyle wants and needs. A sewer hose and potable water hose are all your need to get set up, but you are probably going to be running to the store fairly often as you figure out what works for you. Fortunately most things are readily available at Walmarts and local RV stores.  By the way, the RV comes with a power cord, but sometimes you need an extension if the power pole is far away. RV extensions are either 30A or 50A, depending on the trailer shore power needs.

The Avenger is well-equipped, but the standard shore power is 30A. That's going to be a real limitation in the hot weather you are headed for, so I recommend an upgrade to 50A shore power so you have enough to run the a/c, fridge, water heater, etc. on electric at the same time and still use a coffee maker or microwave. You should also consider an upgrade option for two air conditioners, since one is not really adequate for a 33 foot trailer in a hot climate.

As hot as it is in Texas, you will want 2 air conditioners on a trailer of any size.  My son does just what you are doing.  He works for a pipeline construction company in the Corpus Christi area and lives full time in a 40 foot 5th wheel.  When it's just him, he doesn't need that much space, but his wife and 3 kids are there with him all summer and his wife and one of the older kids stays there with him most of the rest of the time, so they upgraded from a 30 foot travel trailer to a 35 foot 5th wheel and now a 40 foot 5th wheel.  His previous 2 trailers only had one air conditioner and didn't keep the trailer cool during the summer.  His current 5th wheel has 2 air conditioners and does good except when temps get above 100 degrees, and then it still cools adequately.  Like Gary said, 30 amp service and only 1 a/c will not do well in a 30+ foot trailer in Texas heat.

I will say that if you are only 1 mile from the Gulf, the Gulf breeze will keep temps a little more moderated, but it will still be hot and you still will want 50 amp service and 2 a/c's in the summer.

Dan

ok, thanks i will check into the option for 2 a/c and upgraded power. I was kinda thinking that but wasnt sure

as far as my tow vehicle, i have a 2006 dodge 2500 with a hemi, with the hd towing package. 4:10 gears rated for 12k, the trailer fully loaded is 9400lbs so i think that will do.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chaderic
Back
Top Bottom