5th Wheel Hitch-Theft Control

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

threeful

I am a new 5th wheel owner and had a Reese 16K slider hitch installed last week.  The techniican explained how to remove the hitch from the hitch frame...by removing the 4 pins on the base rail.  These pins are held there by cotter pins and easily removed.  It seems this is a fairly easy disconnect procedure, great for storage, but it seems it would also be easy to steal.  I understand the hitch is heavy but I suspect could be lifted by several enterprising thiefs.  My thought is this hitch could be gone in several minutes. 

Is there a security device or has someone thought of a way to provide a "home remedy" to this concern.

Thanks,

Bill T.

threeful said:
I am a new 5th wheel owner and had a Reese 16K slider hitch installed last week.  The techniican explained how to remove the hitch from the hitch frame...by removing the 4 pins on the base rail.  These pins are held there by cotter pins and easily removed.  It seems this is a fairly easy disconnect procedure, great for storage, but it seems it would also be easy to steal.  I understand the hitch is heavy but I suspect could be lifted by several enterprising thiefs.  My thought is this hitch could be gone in several minutes. 

Is there a security device or has someone thought of a way to provide a "home remedy" to this concern.

Thanks,

Bill T.
Iit doesn't take several people.  My husband and I can easily do it ourselves.  We have padlocks where the hitch connects to the rails. I think Dan may have replaced the original cotter pins with pins that you can put a padlock through.  I've seen them in RV supply places. 

When we are hooked up, we also have a padlock locking the mechanism that opens the jaws of the hitch. 

Jeannine

With the price of metals skyrocketing,nothing is safe anymore .The jerks are even unbolting gaurdrails and stealing them!
One business in a town near me has been hit three times by thieves stealing copper,roofing,and drain pipes.
Be sure to use locks on everything you can.I know they can be a pain,but so can an insurance claim for a new hitch.ugh!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom